Quantcast

Wolfhound worship bastard lovebaby thread

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Yeah that is a pretty sizeable head tube there - but understandably so considering rigid and the type of riding you are doing on the bike with the thru axle rigid fork.

What's the offset on those Manitous by the way?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
I know the wheels are the wrong size and stuff, but that is beautiful. I am somewhat envious of your workshop too. How much was that jig?

jncarpenter

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
lynchburg, VA
OK, I think I have it pretty dialed at this point. The 50mm stem ended up being just a tad short, but the 70mm stem coupled with the setback moots post (I just received back) has the cockpit dialed.

Nothing left to do but just ride it!!! :D A fantastic riding bicycle thus far.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
The handling of this bike reminds me VERY much of my Sovereign...which is the frame I was attempting to model the Wolf after (in handling and intended riding style).
OK, weird. I just began working with a custom builder (Thylacine) to build a 29er rigid singlespeed to replicate the handling of my rigid singlespeed Sovereign and came up with a bike and geometry almost matching yours, low BB and all. Shorter TT for me, but I run a slightly longer stem as well.

And only then did I find this thread searching for 29er geometry info.

(Sovereign's BB is a tad high for me, which is the only change I'd make on it.)

Nice ride, JN. Hope it's still treating you well. Looking forward to introducing its Australian marsupial cousin someday.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
OK, weird. I just began working with a custom builder (Thylacine) to build a 29er rigid singlespeed to replicate the handling of my rigid singlespeed Sovereign and came up with a bike and geometry almost matching yours, low BB and all. Shorter TT for me, but I run a slightly longer stem as well.

And only then did I find this thread searching for 29er geometry info.

(Sovereign's BB is a tad high for me, which is the only change I'd make on it.)

Nice ride, JN. Hope it's still treating you well. Looking forward to introducing its Australian marsupial cousin someday.

Do you know who's actually building your Thylacine designed frame?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Not yet. We'll get to that soon.

(I know, Warwick's not a welder and that gets some people's buns in a knot. Doesn't matter in the least to me personally...but yes, I guess "custom builder" isn't technically precise.)

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Not yet. We'll get to that soon.

(I know, Warwick's not a welder and that gets some people's buns in a knot. Doesn't matter in the least to me personally...but yes, I guess "custom builder" isn't technically precise.)
It doesn't really bother me per se, I've always been curious though - does he tell you who's ultimately building your frame for you?

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well, this thread is about Wolfhound; let's leave it there...I'll start a Thylacine thread now or later on when there's an actual bike to talk about.

It's not like he's trying to pretend he's welding your frame, though. He's a designer, and Thylacine is a company that produces custom bikes.

MikeD

Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
I look forward to your thread and your finished product! I guess your first initial foray into 29er-ville didn't dissuade you from the wheelsize eh?
Well, looking at others who've been riding them without issue, including riding like JN's, I just decided to give it another shot. I wavered between trying to use the Jones (Vicious Cycles-produced, though) 135mm-spaced front end and sticking with stock.

Seeing as I have a 29er fork already laying around, I figured I'd get some tough 36 spoke wheels made up on some old hubs and see if they explode on me. If they do, then I'll get the fat fork and a singlespeed-specific rear hub for more flange width and try again. I bet that solves any stregth problems.