Quantcast

Women -- wake up: A man is not a financial plan!

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
:monkey:

Women: Wake Up, Wise Up, Save Up
How Women Can Take Control of Their Financial Futures

Feb. 5, 2007 — - Women -- wake up, wise up and save up: A man is not a financial plan.

With almost half of first and second marriages ending in divorce, there is a high likelihood that women will be responsible for their own or their family's finances one day. Even the best marriages usually come to an end -- women outlive men an average of seven years, and the average age of widowhood is 56.

To help women take responsibility for their financial futures, Mellody Hobson, "Good Morning America's" financial contributor, recently shared advice that women of all ages can follow.

Wake Up, Wise Up
Every woman needs to know what and where her family's assets are.

"Even if you are not the primary organizer of your family's finances, you can't bury your head in the sand. Be aware of the big financial picture and get informed about your family's finances," Hobson said.

It's also important for a woman to maintain her own financial identity.

"Establish and maintain your own credit history with a credit card in only your name," Hobson said. "Do the same with a personal bank account."

The second part of "wise up" is work related. Many women opt out of the work force for some period of time to care for children. But they pay the price when they return: Taking time off to raise kids can affect seniority and earning potential.

The Center for Work-Life Policy study says that on average, women who "off-ramp" for 2.2 years lose 18 percent of their earning power. That figure rises to 37 percent when taking off for three or more years.

"If you do decide to leave your job, make sure you leave on good terms, giving adequate notice and getting references and letters of recommendation before you leave," Hobson advised. "Timing is key. If you are just a few months shy of vesting stock options or a retirement plan, stick it out."

While taking time off, maintain professional certifications and if possible, enroll in classes to stay sharp. Be sure to sustain professional relationships, because they will be invaluable when the time comes to return to work.

Save Up
So many women fall prey to what Hobson calls the white knight syndrome and assume their husband will take care of them in their old age.

The sad reality is that couples divorce and spouses die. Women must be responsible for their own financial future and must invest for retirement. Set up a spousal IRA account and maximize your contributions as much as possible. The limit for IRAs in 2007 is $4,000, or $5,000 for those age 50 and older.

Women who are working should be enrolled in a 401(k) plan. In 2007, employees can contribute up to $15,500 to their 401(k), and if you are over 50 years old, you can contribute an additional $5,000 in catch-up contributions for a total of $20,500. Employers will be able to provide information about when and how to change the level of contribution.

Hobson advises working women to take full advantage of company matching programs, because it translates into free money for retirement.

"Many people need more of their income for current bills and expenses, but at the very least you need to maximize your contributions to the point where you receive all the company matching," she said. "For example, an employer might match 50 cents on the dollar up to 6 percent. In this case, you should contribute at least 6 percent of your salary to take advantage of the extra 3 percent your company is willing to contribute."

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My wife doesn't work and has 90% control of all the family assets. The only things she can't touch are my "fun money" account and the 401k. Everything else is all access.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
I have seen too many women who are waiting for their "White Knight"

they should just get over it, and save up all the money from the pron that they're filming..........

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
why they never taught this stuff in school for boys and girls.......

I mean....it was always helpful to know the lie that Columbus discovered America, but I could of done without learning the 5 causal factors of the Austriain succession. I would think finances and simple house hold budgeting would go a lot furthering in preparing and well rounding an person for life.