Quantcast

Women's only clinic with Tara Llanes @ Whiteface

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
updated 4-25-07
We are honored and pleased to announce that Tara Llanes is coming to town. Whiteface Mountain in Lake Placid that is. Tara will be teaching at 2 separate 1 day women's only downhill clinics on Friday July 6th and Saturday July 7th. Clinics will be limited to 20 women per day and will last a full 7 hours. Tara will have 3 women guest instructors making sure the instructor to rider ratio stays low and very personal.

Both 1 day clinics will be limited to 20 women per day. I will update our web site as spots fill up.

All Whiteface downhill information:
www.downhillmike.com

http://www.active.com/event_detail.cfm?event_id=1434228

Downhill Mike
www.downhillmike.com
Size does matter!

In Tara's words about the clinic:
"My goal is to make this clinic the most fun and informative session you’ve ever had. You will learn everything from setting up your suspension to overcoming your fears of descending, to dealing with obstacles to tips on jumping. I want you to have fun while getting over your fears and gaining more confidence on your bike.

Besides what I’ve already mentioned here are some of the other things that we will be working on.

- descending with confidence body position and balance cornering techniques braking and of course jumping

Any other individual skills that any of you would like to work on. We will fit in as much as possible.

"It is important to me that I am able to work with each individual and help with any issues you may be having. The clinic is scheduled for a full 7 hours, but I if any of you want to stick around afterward I would be happy to ride more and address your concerns or just go for a fun ride. See you there!"

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Treesaw thank you so much for initiating this clinic with Tara and putting it all together.
Whiteface Mountain and the Lake PLacid region has been attracting world class athletes for many sports since the 1932 Olympics.
I am so stoked that a new type of world class athlete is coming to town.
It was just a matter of time and you are fully responsible for this history in the making.
A very sincere thank you.

All this and the other events this year are the baby steps for a future world cup!
So watch out mountain biking world Whiteface is here to stay!

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Both clinics will start at 8:30 am and run approx. 7 hours. Then an hour or so of riding till 4:00 pm with Tara for extra help or just for fun.

regular hours this season are from 10 till 4.

NJ Jess

Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
mtbnj.com
and I'm Soooooo bummed. I already have a booked flight to Utah for a week of riding from 29 June to July 7th, and then racing the Campmor H2H stewart race on the 8th. Darn! I so much want to attend this event. There aren't too many female racers in the northeast, not to mention race clinics,....with Tara Llanes! Does anyone know of any other DH clinics? Shucks,......

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Marla Streb and Gene Hamilton are teaming up once again in Baltimore this year.
http://forums.mtbr.com/showthread.php?t=271744

With a successful clinic this year we will start planning this earlier next year and try for more clinics. I would really like to have clinics on each of our 4 ladies days.

Sorry Jess. Hopefully you'll come up for a day of riding still.

NJ Jess

Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
mtbnj.com
I hope to attend the Sept 1 & 2 DH days. My calendar is packed on weekends from April to mid October. I'll look into the Streb clinic too,..thanks.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Excellent!
It's great that our ladies day # 3 (9-1-07) falls on the day before our 1st big race of the season (9-2-07). So you'll get a free practice day on the Saturday before the big dh race.

Actually ladies day # 4 is also the day before our 2nd big race on 10-7-07.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Hey Mike,
Any update on this? My girlfriend would like to attend a camp but she's a total beginner. I don't want her signing up for something that will overwhelm her...

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
When you say total beginner do mean she has never been off road on a bike before?
Or do mean a beginner downhiller.

Giant and Tara have recently contacted me about not that many signing up yet. We only have 8 women registered so far? What's up with that?

Please sign up so this will be the 1st of many womens clinics. We have to show them that there is interest on the east coast too. We want Tara and others to come back.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
She used to ride bikes, but hasn't in a long time. She's competant and can ride ok, but she needs lots of help. She needs riding 101, not an upper level course...this sounds like she'd be out of her league.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
So far everyone sounds to be at an intermediate level. On the registration the most common answer to the "what would you like to learn most" question is jumping. Edited: maybe 3 or 4 of the 8 registered.
I thinks that's great. Tara was stoked to as she receives all info from me on the registrants. We have been working hard to make this the best clinic ever. Being on the east coast is also a huge thing and statement.
We already have been thinking about next years having the 1st day for beginners and the 2nd day for more advanced riders.
I don't want to turn you away Sandwich so I'll let Treesaw answer your question better.
Thanks
DHM

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
It would make sense to have some DH experience, before you spend 7 hours at whiteface w/Tara

Actually, since we are planning on using our shuttle bus for this clinic, our lower mountain is awesome for learning to downhill. Everything from a grassy ski trail, to mellow (wide & not steep) singletrack to features that can be done by any level rider.
Over the years I have taught more cross country riders than I can remember.
I can't even imagine how awesome Tara is at teaching!

Not too many know about our lower mountain. There has been an interesting article recently by Greg Herbold's trip to Diablo. The one thing that sticks out the most in that article for me was his quote " There are way more beginners than experts" when asked what we need for our sport to grow.

F.Y.I. We operate our shuttle bus daily all season long.

DHM

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
She used to ride bikes, but hasn't in a long time. She's competant and can ride ok, but she needs lots of help. She needs riding 101, not an upper level course...this sounds like she'd be out of her league.
I don't necessarily agree with Doug here. There are plenty of people that are good riders that don't have DH experience and would be successful at this clinic. As DHMike said, we aren't planning on using the very top (which is AWESOME, but SUPER steep and difficult). Can you tell me what kind of riding (terrain, etc.) she used to ride. I know for a fact that 2 of the women who are registered aren't DHers and 1 of them hasn't gone DHing before, but wants to learn the skills in a small, comfortable setting prior to hitting the mountain with everyone else and trying to keep up.

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
Hi all--new to this forum, fairly new to mountain biking. This clinic sounds awesome! I think the price of both the clinic and the rental equipment is more than reasonable. That said, since I only have about 20 mountain bike rides total under my belt since I started last summer, I think this would be WAY over my head. But I would be really interested in a XC women's only clinic. I need to learn basic skills like negotiating really root-y sections of trail and rock gardens, and climbing hills w/ loose gravel--probably just basic stuff. I don't think I'm anywhere near learning how to jump. I don't know...... thoughts? I'd like to do it, but as I said, afraid I'd be in way over my head.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
The jumps mentioned are all small. Also these jumps have wooden transitions going right to the lip meaning you can get zero to a little air. Nothing big. You will learn the correct way to jump. Not how to go huge. That will just come with time if wanted, and still hasn't come for me.
Learning dh skills is great for becoming a better cross country rider. For this particular clinic Tara had me make the registration form and include a half dozen questions from here. One question is what would you most like to learn. If it's roots and body position instead of jumps that what will be worked on. Along with Tara we will have 3 women guest instructors. As of now we only have 8 women signed up and 4 instructors. Tara will also notice your problem areas. This clinic will help you become a more competent mountain biker, from one if the best in the business. No need to be intimidated as Tara is super nice, loves teaching and a world class athlete.

DHM

Check out this trail on our lower mountain:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
I must share a little story. I hope you don't mind?
A few years ago I rode so much dh I was afraid to go for my old usual x-c rides. It starts with a climb that took me a few years to learn to clean. I must have road dh 75 out of 85 days that season missing most of the summer, for any type of x-c rides.
Not only I cleaned that climb it wasn't even that hard.
Learning to dh teaches you some skills that will make your x-c riding partners wonder how you got so much better?. You become more efficient, you get way better at proper weight distribution, learn the correct line (I go straighter now on x_c rides rather than around objects) and it just makes you a better all around rider. It also can really improve your confidence in other areas besides biking. It's about overcoming your fears in a safe way from a very cool professional.

Here are a couple more pics from the lower mountain. These were taken during our race last year but they are on trail # 11 "Whitetail". The trail map shows up pretty good from this link: http://www.highpeaksma.com/images/wface-mtbike.jpg
Please notice where the shuttle bus drop off is.

And the reason we are putting on this clinic is the same reason we have our ladies day at Whiteface. To try to get more women into riding a mountain bike. So come on up and enjoy!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Hi all--new to this forum, fairly new to mountain biking. This clinic sounds awesome! I think the price of both the clinic and the rental equipment is more than reasonable. That said, since I only have about 20 mountain bike rides total under my belt since I started last summer, I think this would be WAY over my head. But I would be really interested in a XC women's only clinic. I need to learn basic skills like negotiating really root-y sections of trail and rock gardens, and climbing hills w/ loose gravel--probably just basic stuff. I don't think I'm anywhere near learning how to jump. I don't know...... thoughts? I'd like to do it, but as I said, afraid I'd be in way over my head.
Hi Mudgirl! Honestly, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend this clinic to you. Just because it's called a DH clinic doesn't mean that the skills you will be learning won't apply to all areas of your riding. Tara has made it clear that she is going to work on whatever each individual cites on their registration form. I can assure you that we will work on rooty sections of trail & rock gardens as well as cornering, choosing a good line and not everyone wants to learn how to jump (I just checked the forms, a few do, but others haven't mentioned it and I know that there are a couple of other beginners coming). I truly believe that with the small group to instructor ratio that each woman is going to have a unique experience that we may not have the opportunity to have again. Tara is extremely supportive and eager to teach the skills that you want.

I have definitely been in the beginner's seat and gone to DH mountians with my friends who have left me in the dust to try and figure out what I am doing by myself and it wasn't the best way to learn. At this clinic, no one will be left in the dust or be put in a position where they feel uncomfortable. Everyone will be encouraged to ride at their own level and not over their heads!

If you're unsure or have other questions or even want to get out and try the lower half of the mountain before the clinic, drop me a PM and I would be happy to take you for some runs.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Treesaw,
Awesome idea!
Since I will be there every day I would offer the same as Treesaw.
We open on Friday June 22nd.
There will be no additional charge for lessons by me before the clinic. I would be glad to help in any way I can. I do want to get better at teaching and this would help me too. If it's a weekend you may have to be patient but I would gladly spend an hour or so with you.
The one thing we also do at Whiteface I should mention is (maybe we talk too much) really ask what trail you were on and make sure you are where you want to be.

DHM

for more info on Tara:
http://www.giantforwomen.com/leaders/detail/3/Tara

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Tara's take on roots from women for Giant website:

"When going into a rooty section always remember that the faster you go through it the easier it will be. Yeah, I know. Easier said than done, but when you think about it if there are a bunch of roots ahead of you and you start to pull on your brakes those roots are going to want to grab at your wheel and pull you back. Also, if you happen to pull your brakes over a set of roots that are maybe pointing diagonal or parallel with your wheels then there is a higher chance of your tires slipping on those roots. It all goes back to your tires wanting to grab when they are rolling. When you pull the brakes and your tires stop rolling and start sliding that’s when you can start to get discombobulated. So if you let off of your brakes a bit and roll you’ll be better off".

Y

yadadada

I'm planning to come for Fri's clinic. (waiting on school loan money to register!) I've been riding XC for about a year, and am probably still a beginner to intermediate XC rider. I really was looking into the clinic to get better at rocky and rooty sections. I'm not too interested in jumping, especially anything big, but I really want to work on letting off the brakes and flowing through technical sections better. So you won't be the only beginner there if you decide to go, which I hope you do!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
I'm planning to come for Fri's clinic. (waiting on school loan money to register!) I've been riding XC for about a year, and am probably still a beginner to intermediate XC rider. I really was looking into the clinic to get better at rocky and rooty sections. I'm not too interested in jumping, especially anything big, but I really want to work on letting off the brakes and flowing through technical sections better. So you won't be the only beginner there if you decide to go, which I hope you do!
:thumb: Sweet!!!!

Y

yadadada

Sweet!!!!!
Bring your dog too.
I had thought about it, but worried about him getting in the way and having to look after him all day when I'd want to be focused on the instruction. He's also never camped with me before, so that would be a new experience, assuming I don't get a chance to take him between now and then.

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Actually I was thinking you could leave your dog with my dog (male yellow lab that gets along with all people and dogs) during the day (if you want).

I was just informed 6-13-07 am) that online registration isn't working.
If anyone has tried and had trouble registering please try again today sometime after noon.
Active has been contacted and I 'm sure this glitch will be fixed asap.