Quantcast

Women's only clinic with Tara Llanes @ Whiteface

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
I've done some DH over the past several years, never competivite and very well may stick with no racing. I'm totally psyched for the Clinic, but for some of us with a bit of experience will we be encourage to hit some bigger drops (gulp...yeah, and I know my inner chicken limits) and get more comfortable with rooty/rocky/steep stuff? And yes, jumping was on my list!!

I'm registered nonethess, but curious as to where the clinics might be morphing. Just hoping for some stuff that (a) scares me a bit at the begining and (b) I conquer some of my fears by the end of the day.

p.s. Treesaw - my friend and I are signed up for the clinic on Friday and heading up from MA on Thursday to stay at the Swiss Acres. Shoot me a PM if we might be able to catch up. I will let you know a better itinerary for our drive up but at a minimum, would love to check in with ya on Thursday before the clinic.

Can't wait!!!

Jen

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I've done some DH over the past several years, never competivite and very well may stick with no racing. I'm totally psyched for the Clinic, but for some of us with a bit of experience will we be encourage to hit some bigger drops (gulp...yeah, and I know my inner chicken limits) and get more comfortable with rooty/rocky/steep stuff? And yes, jumping was on my list!!

I'm registered nonethess, but curious as to where the clinics might be morphing. Just hoping for some stuff that (a) scares me a bit at the begining and (b) I conquer some of my fears by the end of the day.

p.s. Treesaw - my friend and I are signed up for the clinic on Friday and heading up from MA on Thursday to stay at the Swiss Acres. Shoot me a PM if we might be able to catch up. I will let you know a better itinerary for our drive up but at a minimum, would love to check in with ya on Thursday before the clinic.

Can't wait!!!

Jen
:thumb: Definitely let me know as Tara & I will be up at the mountain!

I am hoping to learn some of the same at the clinic as well (gulp).

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Yeah 2 more lucky women just signed up for Friday. What a deal a Friday clinic with Tara and a free day on Saturday.

Enjoy!

Now I can honestly say spots are filling up so hurry up and reserve your day.

After talking to Treesaw it sounds like each women will get $149.00 swag bag.
Maybe you can help us with prizes for our races. HAHA
Treesaw your awesome!

TurnerGrl

Monkey
Aug 20, 2002
Metrowest MA
Does anyone else thing RENTING a bike is a bad idea???

I was thinking about signing up but DHM said I'd need a big bike for the top. No way am I getting on a sketchy section on a bike I've never ridden before.
One ride on a big bike and those sketchy sections will feel like they disappear!! Seriously, my first ride on my RFX after being on a 4" bike was at Vietnam and I had a HUGE boost in confidence.

So sign up already!!!

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
The bigger the bike the smaller the obstacles seem. It does make it easier. 8 inches of travel and 45 pounds is real good for our lift or shuttle runs.
However the clinic will be held on the lower mountain.

DHM

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
a bike is a bike, 2 wheels, seat, handlebar & brakes/etc...you'd be fine

I cracked the frame on my DH rig on the morning of a race..borrowed a freinds bike (which I never used before) for my race run, I think I got 4th!
why do you crap on everything that people are asking?

Yes, it's a fact, a good rider can ride a bad bike well. Nobody is questioning that. On the contrary, a good bike will make a bad biker better. Good, powerful brakes compensate for weak hands. Able, long travel suspension compensates for a weak upper body or poor line choice. Nobody cares how good of a biker YOU are.

My girlfriend is interested in getting into the sport, and while I know that this camp is oriented toward faster, better riders, I thought if only 8 people showed up, there might be room for a few beginners. I asked if this was true, and you sh.t on me for asking. WTF? If it's not possible, if she should go to the plattekill camp instead of giving whiteface business, then somebody qualified will answer me (DH Mike or Treesaw). And your Tiger WOO analogy is bunk if Tiger is willing to teach beginners....

To mtbchick
Rent a bike, you'll be more comfortable for longer, you'll enjoy it more, and you'll be able to focus on the skills being taught rather than trying to hold it together on a bike not designed for what you're trying to do. I used to ride my arrow DS rig at plattekill, and while I made it down the mountain, it was slowly and not that much fun. I rented a turner there and it made all the difference, I got there at 10am and skipped lunch to ride until the lifts closed. It may be a little expensive, but I SWEAR it's worth it.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
why do you crap on everything that people are asking?

Yes, it's a fact, a good rider can ride a bad bike well. Nobody is questioning that. On the contrary, a good bike will make a bad biker better. Good, powerful brakes compensate for weak hands. Able, long travel suspension compensates for a weak upper body or poor line choice. Nobody cares how good of a biker YOU are.

My girlfriend is interested in getting into the sport, and while I know that this camp is oriented toward faster, better riders, I thought if only 8 people showed up, there might be room for a few beginners. I asked if this was true, and you sh.t on me for asking. WTF? If it's not possible, if she should go to the plattekill camp instead of giving whiteface business, then somebody qualified will answer me (DH Mike or Treesaw). And your Tiger WOO analogy is bunk if Tiger is willing to teach beginners....

To mtbchick
Rent a bike, you'll be more comfortable for longer, you'll enjoy it more, and you'll be able to focus on the skills being taught rather than trying to hold it together on a bike not designed for what you're trying to do. I used to ride my arrow DS rig at plattekill, and while I made it down the mountain, it was slowly and not that much fun. I rented a turner there and it made all the difference, I got there at 10am and skipped lunch to ride until the lifts closed. It may be a little expensive, but I SWEAR it's worth it.
Ok....take a deep breath ;)

Yes, your girlfriend should take this clinic. The numbers are definitely small enough that we will be able to meet every rider's needs and be able to spend plenty of time with beginners (she's definitely not the only one).

MBC -- we aren't using the very top of the mountain, but I would recommend renting a big bike....it's a whole new world. So, when are you going to sign up anyway? :D

Y

yadadada

I'm a beginner, I'm registered for the clinic and I'm renting a bike. And I'm going to have a blasted fun time! :-D

oh, I kind of estimated when I was chosing sizes on the registration thing for bike and pads. Does it matter if I'm off and need a different size when I get there? I think I chose 18" bike and Adult L for everything... For XC i'm a 17-18" bike.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
I'm a beginner, I'm registered for the clinic and I'm renting a bike. And I'm going to have a blasted fun time! :-D

oh, I kind of estimated when I was chosing sizes on the registration thing for bike and pads. Does it matter if I'm off and need a different size when I get there? I think I chose 18" bike and Adult L for everything... For XC i'm a 17-18" bike.
I think you'll be fine, but if we need to make adjustments that day, we certainly can!

mudgirl

Molester of monkeys
Jun 8, 2007
Tied up in the basement
I'm renting a bike & pads as well (I also estimated sizing). Somehow I don't think my entry-level Rockhopper will cut it for DH'ing.

Sandwich, I've never DH'ed before and I've only been riding XC since early last August. I've been road biking for several years, so I'm not new to bikes, just this particular vein of it. So if your GF comes, she'll have good company. Yadadada is relatively new to this as well. She should come!

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
We have 24 bikes in our rental fleet. We also have enough pads in all sizes.
That's why we want everyone there early to get you on/in the the right size equipment, and make any adjustments before the clinic starts.
We are opening up early for the clinic so all equipment will be available to choose from. Instruction will begin sharply at 9:00 am.
I will be at the mountain a little before 8:00 am to assist with any size adjustments or changes in equipment.

We rented out our bikes yesterday for the 1st time and our customers had a great time because of them. New bikes work so nice.

DHM

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
In case you didn't see this on dh forum it's pretty funny.
We challenged the NBC sports and weather guy from Plattsburgh/Burlington to give dh a try at Whiteface.
Keep in mind these guys never went downhilling before and only rode a bike off rode once or twice. I can't believe they just went for it on the obstacles with no hesitation. The bikes and the pads def. helped these guys.

I had trouble opening in Moxilla Firefox and had to use Internet Explorer.

Just click on this link and enter "mountain biking" into the search bar.

http://www.wptz.com/video/13547566/index.html?source=

The weatherman must learn to get behind his seat more!

DHM

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
In case you didn't see this on dh forum it's pretty funny.
We challenged the NBC sports and weather guy from Plattsburgh/Burlington to give dh a try at Whiteface.
Keep in mind these guys never went downhilling before and only rode a bike off rode once or twice. I can't believe they just went for it on the obstacles with no hesitation. The bikes and the pads def. helped these guys.

I had trouble opening in Moxilla Firefox and had to use Internet Explorer.

Just click on this link and enter "mountain biking" into the search bar.

http://www.wptz.com/video/13547566/index.html?source=

The weatherman must learn to get behind his seat more!

DHM
:thumb: That awesome and hysterical. Great publicity for the mountain too :D

Y

yadadada

That is very awesome! Hopefully I have guts like they did when I get there!

Though today, I was riding over stuff that I usually wouldn't have, since I was trying to keep up with people, and my dog was following them, not staying with me! I rode my butt off trying to stay with them, and went over a LOT of stuff I normally would be very hesitant about.

I really can't wait to get out there! I'm so excited!!!

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Well, I took my DH bike out for the first time this season. We were supposed to go to a mountain and ended up hitting some local trails. I rode it for about 2 hours (ouch) on terrain that I generally ride my XC bike on (although I did hit a couple of lines a bit more aggressively). It was nice to get back on my big bike. Now, I need to get to a mountain and see if I remember how to use it :D

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
That was their 1st time on a big bike. They also had very little mountain biking experience (only 2 or 3 times on easy x-c trails).
They did have a great attitude though and lots of fun. They did great!
Since we took the shuttle bus up the mountain (instead of the gondola) it was perfect for them. We got several runs in a couple of of hours. I was very surprised that they tried the double teeter. I'm glad they listened to me about wearing all the pads.
DHM

Y

yadadada

And I have a question too...

since I'm renting equip, is there anything that I need to bring that I might not know and/or think about?

I don't have DH/FR shoes, I've just been using a pair of skater shoes with my platforms on my trail bike. Will those be okay for the clinic?

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
Yep. All rental bikes have platform pedals. If you want to bring your own pedals we can switch them in the morning. Just come a little early.
Your skate shoes will be perfect.

We now have our 1st taker for the free camping at my cabin. Tons of room for many tents.

Still 28 of 40 spots available. As of now we still have 3 guest instructors. The ratio of instructors to students will be like 4 instructors to a group of 5 and 7. So c'mon let's show Tara that these clinics will attract women on the east coast.

DHM

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
I'll try not to disappoint.

BTW, I have another very important question:

WHAT'S FOR LUNCH?
Lunch:
You will have a choice of a few different box lunches to choose from the morning of your clinic. I want to deliver the lunches to the group at this awesome spot just off trail 5 at the stream crossing and waterfalls. There is a picnic table there and it's just a special place.
I want to show Tara this spot 1st on Thursday and see what the weather will be like too. If we do get more women I can bring in a couple of tables to this spot.
No worries this will be fun, informative and all inclusive as stated in the registration.
We have a nice shop set up at the base and an entire world class mountain at our doorstep.

Looking forward to next Friday and Saturday.

DHM

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Yep. All rental bikes have platform pedals. If you want to bring your own pedals we can switch them in the morning. Just come a little early.
Your skate shoes will be perfect.

We now have our 1st taker for the free camping at my cabin. Tons of room for many tents.

Still 28 of 40 spots available. As of now we still have 3 guest instructors. The ratio of instructors to students will be like 4 instructors to a group of 5 and 7. So c'mon let's show Tara that these clinics will attract women on the east coast.

DHM
2 more campers for your place too (Sq-Earl & Isabelle--who may also have 2 other women with her).

Y

yadadada

Add one more camper + dog to the list for your yard!

I'm so excited! :banana:

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
That's great. I had a bunch of tents and dogs here last weekend and was hoping for a similar scene for this upcoming weekend.
My cabin is in Lake Placid but it is kind of hard to find.
You can either follow me back at the end of the day or if you are coming in the day before just give me call on my cell phone. For my cell # send me an e-mail at:info@downhillmike.com
I do have my driveway marked with our dh trail markers we use at Whiteface, so once you find where the driveway reaches the road it'll be easy.

We will also be having the after dh party here on Saturday night.

If you need to call me during the day at the mountain it's 518-946-2223 ext. 375

DHM

downhill mike

Turbo Monkey
Mar 23, 2005
6-29-07 update:

Spots available for Friday July 6th: 12
Spots available for Saturday July 7th: 15

Saturdays looking like only 5 women with 4 instructors. C'mon let's show Tara and the world women ride mountain bikes on the east coast too.

DHM

Y

yadadada

haha... I was just having a conversation about bringing my XC bike with me. After the clinic I'm staying with family in Albany, so I was contemplating if I'd have time to get out on some trails during the weekend. I'll plan to bring it and see if I can stay at Whiteface til Sat to ride XC in the am. Any idea if that's something that I could bring my dog Marley with me on?