Quantcast

womens specific bikes

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
Hello Ladies,
I want to get my wife a bike, and we are currently debating between a cruiser style all terrain, and a full suspension mountain bike. Clearly, I would prefer that she get a fully, and starting riding with me :D . However she is not aggressive, or that confident, on a bike. I really want to be able to share riding with her.

I know she likes the cruisers though, she rode a jamis earth cruiser 7, and enjoyed that (http://www.jamisbikes.com/bikes/04_ec7.html). She felt really comfortable and the fit of the whole bike was well suited to her. So the question is could I find a mtb that would also feel so good to her.

Her current/previous bike (she hates it) is a mtb, but the fit, other than frame size, is very poor for her, and inspires no rider confidence.

So what bikes/companies are out there putting together nice packages that are very woman specific, aka geometries, components, size etc... Oh yeah, my wife is little, 4'10", er I mean 'petit';) .

Building her a set up from the frame up would be an option in the future, but not till I think it would be worth the money and effort for her.

Thank you very much for any info and suggestions.

mutt

Mutt

Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Lost on Long Island
Thanks Chromegoddess,

that thread helps a bunch. I don't know if she would want to hop on here and talk about it, although that would be ideal. She is pretty ambivalent right now about biking due to the bad experience of her most recent bike. So I am trying to do whatever I can to get her into bikes again. Part of this is getting something that suits her, and the rest will be getting her something she wants, :rolleyes: :D . So I'll mention this idea to her, its a good one, but can't say for sure.

Anyway, thanks again for the suggestion.

tmx

aka chromegoddess
Mar 16, 2003
Portland
glad to hear it's helpful. sounds like you've got a good handle on the situation and a sound approach to the remedy. good luck.

Carbon Fetish

Monkey
May 6, 2002
Irvine, CA
Slider said:
quote from giove her self " unless you are shoter than 5'5" womens bikes are a not worth it"
I believe that too. Trek, Cannondale and Specialized make womens specific mountain bikes. The frames usually will have shorter top tubes (most women have longer legs and shorter torsos) and they use thinner walled tubing so the ride is not has harsh compared to a "men's" bike. You might also find shorter brake levers, thiner grips, a women's saddle and different compound tires (Specailized) on women specific bikes. I would try to steer you and your wife away from the cruiser and you two should get the mtb.

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
The thing about cruisers is they are only cruisers if you get a mtb and decide you just wanna ride around you can 26 inch slicks and some upright bars for a little bit of nothing and it is as good if not better than a cruiser. Santa Cruiz make a nice womans bike too. Oh yeah In full suspension womans bikes they also spring them lighter the jeckyl Femnine in 03 came with a special edition manitou diva sport black as far as I can figure it just has diferent decals and is sprung lighter.