Quantcast

woo hoo top 10 baby!!!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
I skipped the last race of the season but was 9th going in, and there was actually only 2 guys who could have cought me one had to place 1st (never going to do that) and the other only had to get 6th and i'm pretty sure thats what happend.
Anyhoo I'm tired and had to get my affairs in order (wash and wax truck, drink beer etc) but a friend that was their just called and said I still made it. I got bumped to 10 but I’m still in baby! Ever better news is I never placed in the top 10 so I don’t HAVE to move up but I’m pretty sure I’m going up in the spring.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by The Toninator
I skipped the last race of the season but was 9th going in, and there was actually only 2 guys who could have cought me one had to place 1st (never going to do that) and the other only had to get 6th and i'm pretty sure thats what happend.
Anyhoo I'm tired and had to get my affairs in order (wash and wax truck, drink beer etc) but a friend that was their just called and said I still made it. I got bumped to 10 but I’m still in baby! Ever better news is I never placed in the top 10 so I don’t HAVE to move up but I’m pretty sure I’m going up in the spring.
sweet deal dude, i'm glad you got a top ten overall. having a second year of beg. might help you out and more then likely you'll probably be winning some races next year. if you win more then 3 races next year you need to move up.

Chris01

Chimp
Aug 13, 2002
Dallas Area
Sandbagger!!! Move Up!! --- BTW: notice I got my 1st top ten in sport this weekend!

You missed a great race, more importantly great weather!

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by Chris01
Sandbagger!!! Move Up!! --- BTW: notice I got my 1st top ten in sport this weekend!

You missed a great race, more importantly great weather!
Woo hoo! congrats man that's great. I'm scared of you guys and i'm never going up :p

I had a great time this weekend too. I drank all night friday and recovered all day saturday then did a 3hour easy ride sunday and then hand washed and waxed my truck. Hummmmmm shinny!.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Good job everyone. Tony we've talked about this before, and you know how I feel. There likely will not be as big a clusterfruck with unexperienced riders dismounting and walking and slowing waaaaay down in tech sections if you move up to sport. Let the true beginners have the beginner class - you aren't a beginner anymore...YOU RULE!

That's just my view.:p

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
congrats Tony. I don't want to undermine Heidi's racer wisdom because I've never raced, but don't you want to win a few beginner races first before moving up to Sport? That's where I'd set my sites, but no need to listen to me of course. JMHO.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
Originally posted by spincrazy
congrats Tony. I don't want to undermine Heidi's racer wisdom because I've never raced, but don't you want to win a few beginner races first before moving up to Sport? That's where I'd set my sites, but no need to listen to me of course. JMHO.
Congrats Tony! I'd say move up. Challenging yourself is more important than winning.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
ya i do/did feel the way you do but i've been a begginer for a year and a half now and i dont really dont want to waste anymore time. it's just starting to feel like the right time to move on. Lots of people say "Dont move up till you HAVE too" but maybe i'm looking for a little more than just waiting till all the hardest competition leaves putting me in the top spot.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada

oh heheh, thanks.
:monkey:
LOL - I read what I wrote and decided that sounds funny.

Nothing makes you better at racing than racing. Race in sport where the competition is tougher and you will improve a lot faster.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by Ridemonkey

LOL - I read what I wrote and decided that sounds funny.

Nothing makes you better at racing than racing. Race in sport where the competition is tougher and you will improve a lot faster.
oh no i was actually saying the same thing but you just beat me to the post.

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Lots of people say "Dont move up till you HAVE too" but maybe i'm looking for a little more than just waiting till all the hardest competition leaves putting me in the top spot.

Exactly. I always ride to the level of those around me. Really challenge yourself and push.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I am always running with others of superior ability - I seldom place well but I am nearly always satisfied with my effort. Just last week I was talking with a runner who "wins 1/2 the races I enter, you just have to choose them well..." I have never won any race I have entered and yet I can smoke that guy EVERYTIME!!! To me that's worse than sandbagging. You will know when it's time for you to move up to a more challenging field.

I don't know about the events you race in but if you feel you are still a beginner you should stick with it until you know you are not. My feeling is that you need to finish in the top 3 at least 3 times in the same season before moving up.

Anyhow, good deal on a great season!!! :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Lots of people say "Dont move up till you HAVE too" but maybe i'm looking for a little more than just waiting till all the hardest competition leaves putting me in the top spot.
whatever, those ppl are complete idiots. i race w/ all the pro's at the local races so i get my ass kicked, that way i'll work harder to improve. :D

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by indieboy

whatever, those ppl are complete idiots. i race w/ all the pro's at the local races so i get my ass kicked, that way i'll work harder to improve. :D
Yep, that's the true spirit of mountain biking.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: Sensitive types need not apply.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
Originally posted by indieboy

Ya that way you have a good excuse for never winning:D

Heidi

Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Originally posted by JMAC

Ya that way you have a good excuse for never winning:D
I know you're just kidding, but seriously...it's way better to be mid pack Sport than front of the pack beginner. Lots of people can do good in sports as a beginner, but it takes true dedication to excel at the higher levels. It's like making the varsity team, nobody cares what you do in J.V., they start to notice when you're on Varsity though.

Don't aspire to just be on J.V, all your life.

God I sound sappy.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Originally posted by Heidi

I know you're just kidding, but seriously...it's way better to be mid pack Sport than front of the pack beginner. Lots of people can do good in sports as a beginner, but it takes true dedication to excel at the higher levels. It's like making the varsity team, nobody cares what you do in J.V., they start to notice when you're on Varsity though.

Don't aspire to just be on J.V, all your life.

God I sound sappy.
kum by ya my lord....