Quantcast

Wooden Ramp on 'Paid in Full' Keystone DH

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I also posted this on MTBR CO local forum.

Since I'm racing the Keystone Climax race this weekend (my first DH race), and have done the course enough times to finally feel comfortable on it and my new DH rig, I've got a question:

Who hits the wooden ramp on 'Paid in Full' at FULL SPEED?

Me, being a sissy newbe seriously speed checks before hitting it. Albiet I still get launched far enough that I land on the tranny and I've never, ever had a hint of nose diving, I'm still super intimidated by the jump.

Can some of you out there lend some advice for us who feel the need to scrub speed before the launch? Let's all assume for arguments sake that we're on DH race bikes.

Thanks in advance for your help!

s1ngletrack

Monkey
Aug 17, 2004
Denver
I've hit that thing going fast enough to launch me 30-35 feet down the hill, and was going nowhere near full speed - I did , however, talk to a guy riding a GT DHi that claimed to have hit it "at full speed" - he claimed that it sent him 60 feet down the hill - 11 feet in the air before he blew off his pedals during the landing - I'm not sure that I believed him, but he had clearly wrecked pretty hard. I love that jump and think that you could carry some pretty substantial speed off of it - but given the straightaway right above it, there's no fvckin way I would hit it @full speed.

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
I hit it once without braking while following Moga into it(not going full speed into it though as I didn't pedal on the hill before it) and I thought I was going to die.

The go around may very possibly be the way to go for race... but as far as practice goes... biggest moto whip wins it! Spomer can be our honorary regional race practice judge!!!

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
I am not sure, but I dont think the Trail that will be used for the Keystone Climax race next weekend will use "Paid In Full" at all. I believe it will connect where it did before to get to "Wild Thing". I was there on sunday and saw guys riding the Race Trail that has been used in the past, but it didnt connect with 'Paid In Full'.

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
bpatterson6 said:
I am not sure, but I dont think the Trail that will be used for the Keystone Climax race next weekend will use "Paid In Full" at all. I believe it will connect where it did before to get to "Wild Thing". I was there on sunday and saw guys riding the Race Trail that has been used in the past, but it didnt connect with 'Paid In Full'.
www.cyclecyndicate.com has the course map up,
and paid in full will be used. The north shore bridge section will inetersting for sure...

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
WheelieMan said:
www.cyclecyndicate.com has the course map up,
and paid in full will be used. The north shore bridge section will inetersting for sure...
My Bad. Guys that I saw were riding what I was told was "Last Years" Course. They were assuming that this year would be the same course. I guess not.

Here is what I got from Cyclecyndicate:
Gravity nuts will compete on the Motorhead DH. This course has it all, from jumps and berms to technical rock gardens. It will utilize the classic Keystone DH trails as well as some as of yet unnamed treasures. It will drop 1700 feet in 3.15 miles to finish near the River Run Gondola base.

3.15 miles
All competitors
Start at Cowboy Up
Continue down Motorhead
Go left down Paid in Full (New Trail)
Go right down Wild Thing
Go right down River Run Trail
Finish at Keystone Gondola

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
FYI: Last I spoke with the powers that be, the Cycle Cyndicate crew was working on getting the Forest Service to allow them the use of 20 yards of open ski run to circumnavigate the elevated bridge section for the race. Bridge cool to ride? Yes. Good for racing? No. I'll keep ya'll posted as I hear things, and I always hear things.

DHblur

Monkey
Jul 23, 2003
Arvada, CO
What was real cool was that nice little step down that was on that part before where the bridges are now. I liked that. But yes, bridges are gay to race on. Even the ones up above that, the ones that only have like half the angle they should in those corners... those things are sketchy at speed. The Idaho one worked... that thing was like a wall ride... I thought Minnaar was going to explode it!

And whose idea was it to put those two things on Wild Thing??? That thing already has enough uphill in it, much less uphill bridges. </bridge rant>

WheelieMan

Monkey
Feb 6, 2003
kol-uh-RAD-oh
DHblur said:
What was real cool was that nice little step down that was on that part before where the bridges are now. I liked that. But yes, bridges are gay to race on. Even the ones up above that, the ones that only have like half the angle they should in those corners... those things are sketchy at speed. The Idaho one worked... that thing was like a wall ride... I thought Minnaar was going to explode it!

And whose idea was it to put those two things on Wild Thing??? That thing already has enough uphill in it, much less uphill bridges. </bridge rant>
Yea, that uphill bridge is outrageous. I dont know who would have the speed to make it up the thing, or even balance on it while dodging the tree to the left.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
I would definately say "Do NOT hit it at full speed". I went in to it relatively hot after scrubbing tons of speed and went all the way to flat. Good luck at your first race, I'll probably see you there.

SylentK said:
I also posted this on MTBR CO local forum.

Since I'm racing the Keystone Climax race this weekend (my first DH race), and have done the course enough times to finally feel comfortable on it and my new DH rig, I've got a question:

Who hits the wooden ramp on 'Paid in Full' at FULL SPEED?

Me, being a sissy newbe seriously speed checks before hitting it. Albiet I still get launched far enough that I land on the tranny and I've never, ever had a hint of nose diving, I'm still super intimidated by the jump.

Can some of you out there lend some advice for us who feel the need to scrub speed before the launch? Let's all assume for arguments sake that we're on DH race bikes.

Thanks in advance for your help!

flatulant_man

Monkey
Jun 19, 2004
Food Fondlers' Convention
hey, i'd say that if it's truly dangerous to hit it at full speed, then check a little bit, but if pushin it a lil bit is still in the "safe" zone, then keep goin harder.
all you gotta do is go balls-out. i repeat "go balls-out" on the run-up if i'm scared of something.
however, soaring 60 feet might not be a good idea in a race run. i'd say that maybe pushin to 3/4 speed is a good start.