Quantcast

words of wisdom needed, Kona Bear/Dawg or a SC Heckler?

Aug 13, 2002
sandy beaches of O.C.
Howdy all, just been thinking again, and before I get to far into a Bear frame, what do you guy's think of the new SC Heckler's?
They are somewhat in the same ball park, by that I mean they both are ment for trail riding, lite freeriding, and just out having fun. They both seem to fit a bill between a DH or freeride bike and a XC bike. Im thinking that because the heckler has 5" of travel vs the 4"s of the kona that it might be a little more fun on the ski runs of Mammoth mtn. The one thing that Im wondering about is, is the brake jack thing really a big deal? (regarding the single pivot SC) Becuase the Kona doesnt have the Horst links, it to will have some break jack, but will the Heckler have more?
Will or would I notice the 1" of difference?

Thanks, Bob

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Heckler's are in stock in Canada at www.steedcycles.com.

Would you notice another inch of travel? 25% more. I think you will. There are a lot of succesful dh'ers out there on single pivot bikes. Steve Peat for one. He might be using a floating brake though.

Tweek

I Love Cheap Beer!
I liked the Heckler I rode with the 5th Element. Don't get it with an air shock tho'. :blah: That'll suit you for serious XC-ing and light freeriding. I wouldn't take it DHing, tho', i.e., Plattekill rock gardens. Like the Bullit with a 5th, brake jack is not a serious issue -- barely noticeable when it does happen.
Do a search on Heckler and you'll get about 20 threads just from the past 2 months. Plus you'll see that I sound like a broken record. :p