Quantcast

Workin' on my Marzocchi...

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
I think this is an easy question.

I'm going to be changing the springs in my '00 Atom 80 sometime soon. I think this is an easy procedure, but I haven't done it before -- or even overhauled my fork, for that matter.

Questions:

- can I reuse the oil that's currently in the fork?

- will I be able to reuse the oil that's currently in the fork (or will it spray all over everything and make my cat smell funny for a couple of months)

- what is/where can I get 'Marzocchi Fork Oil' or whatever. Do I need to get Marzocchi-brand oil, or are there (good) substitutes?

Thx.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
i just rebuild my forks. they are 2002 Dirt Jumper 2 version.

I don't know what yours look like inside but i'm guessing they are close to mine.

I changed the springs in my living room but I don't have carpet so it wasnt' too bad.

I would buy new oil but not from a bike shop. go to a motorcycle shop. I bought Suzuki motorcycle fork and shock oil and it was less than 4 bucks. you can ask the shop guy if it is ok for marzocchi forks. marzocchi has been making forks for motorcycles for about 50 years so the motorcycle shop should know what will work and what won't.

you can try and re-use the old oil but you will end up with less in the forks because you won't be able to get ALL of it out. some will stick to the springs and walls of the forks and you will drop some on the floor.

I took the top cap off of one side of the forks, flipped my bike up and let them drain into a dish (from the kitchen of course).
then I did the other side. the oil won't/shouldnt' spray all over but if your rebuilding them I suggest fresh oil, it's cheap.

hope that answered your questions.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
you should replace the oil.

dont know about the oid question thing but i replaced the oil in my manipoo and just used the same weight but it wasnt "manipoo" brand.

do it in the tub or out side just to keep from spilling or making a mess.

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
Originally posted by The Toninator
you should replace the oil.

dont know about the oid question thing but i replaced the oil in my manipoo and just used the same weight but it wasnt "manipoo" brand.

do it in the tub or out side just to keep from spilling or making a mess.
girlfriends/wifes loves seeing us in the tub with our bikes!:dead:

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Change the oil over a LARGE GARBAGE CAN.

Who the hell wants to scrub fork oil out of a tub???

Use motorcycle oil as said above. I use 10wt Showa stuff, it rocks.
Avoid Finish Line's oil, I have never had good results with it.

DO NOT buy an oil that will cause seal swell, some oils have a bunch of additives you don't want.

Don't drink the oil, used or new. I know it looks good, just don't drink it.

pnj

Turbo Monkey till the fat lady sings
Aug 14, 2002
seattle
man, I just used a small metal dish from the kitchen. I didn't make a mess at all.

you guys must be slobs.:D

however, when i overtightened the lower bolt and it snapped (F*CK!) I did get oil all over the floor:rolleyes:

so don't over tighten the freaking bolt.
I called marzocchi and they sold me a new one but they said you only needed about 5 pounds of torque on those lower nut/bolts.

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
Originally posted by bomberz1qr20

Use motorcycle oil as said above. I use 10wt Showa stuff, it rocks.
Avoid Finish Line's oil, I have never had good results with it.
So how much do I care about the oil weight. The 'official' Marzocchi stuff is 7.5wt. Manitou's is 5. The aftermarket (Buzzy's, etc) come in 5,7,10, etc.

Does it really matter?

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Originally posted by recidivist

So how much do I care about the oil weight. The 'official' Marzocchi stuff is 7.5wt. Manitou's is 5. The aftermarket (Buzzy's, etc) come in 5,7,10, etc.

Does it really matter?
Oh yes. The weight helps to really fine tune your dampening, and in some forks, like my '99 Z1, it's the only way to tweak the compression dampening.

What kind of riding do you do? Drops? Go heavier oil, it will help bottoming. Light stuff? go w/ the 7.5, it will keep it plush on the small bumps.

Oil height is important too, keep it high for heavy use, but don't exceed the max or you'll blow up the fork prematurely.

Have you gone to the Marz site yet? They actually have a ton of tech stuff there:

http://www.marzocchimtb.com/tech-tuning/index.html

Good luck.

Shencycle

Chimp
Aug 15, 2002
NY
Marzocchi uses 7.5wt Golden Spectro as their oil...they basically just put their sticker on it....you can find this at some Motorcycle shops......I use Silkolene instead.....most Moto mechanics are of the opinion that it is superior to Golden Spectro.....the wt. of the oil can effect the rebound/damping of the fork .......lighter weight ---faster rebound less damping...etc..........to get 7.5wt (if you can't find it) just mix equal amounts of 5wt and 10 wt...of the same brand obviously......:monkey:

recidivist

Monkey
Aug 29, 2002
Soquel, Cali
Originally posted by Shencycle
to get 7.5wt (if you can't find it) just mix equal amounts of 5wt and 10 wt...of the same brand obviously......:monkey:
Way up north here, in the home of Harley, I'll bet I can find some Silkolene.

It's my XC fork, so I'm thinking the 7.5wt is going to do the trick.

Thanks for the suggestions!