Quantcast

Working with a difficult female co-worker (bicycle-related)

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
The owner of my bike shop hired his ex-girlfriend to work part time, which we badly need as there is only one full time employee right now.

She does ride, but her knowledge is beginner at best. She is adequate with the female and the 40+ crowd, which she qualifies in both categories.

The two problems, one professional and one personal, I have working with her, is that she offers erroneous advice (professional), and due to some initial encounters, I think she is nuts.

For example, yesterday I sold a woman's Rockhopper Comp Disc, a very nice entry-level mountain bike, to a novice rider. While I stepped away from the customer, she came over and mention how the brakes (Avid Mechanicals) needed to be upgraded . Of course, the customer asked me do the brakes needed to be upgraded, which I politely dismissed ("I don't know what she is talking about"). Later my co-worker offered "Don't pump the brakes", which I also dismissed.

I guess I don't like dismissing other people's opinions outright. It seems rude, but in this case, it also seems like the most expedient thing to do, particularily while trying to sell a bike, where I am trying to offer a honest and consistent opinion (in other words, I don't want to seem like a lying idiot).

Obviously, I am going to have to talk to her about this and explain how she needs to offer an consistent and supportive opinion to what the other salespeople are saying, which leads to my personal issue that I think she is nuts.

Early on, when she was still dating my boss, she would come into the shop and act like a b*tch, and me and my co-workers were ordered by my boss not to say anything because he would hear about it from her later (typically she would call 8-10 times during working hours about a particular issue, usually trivial, which bothered her).

Anyway, without listing the many incidents which convinced me of her nuttiness, after she broke up with the owner, it was a relief to all of us because she was out of the picture. Since she has come back, she has been on her best behavior, but I am still loathe to criticize her, even in a professional manner.

Writing about this, I know what I need to do: discuss offering a consistent and accurate opinion (or saying nothing at all), in a casual and positive manner with her and the boss. I was just curious what other women thought and to critique the way I am going to handle this.

stephanie

Monkey
Dec 7, 2005
East County via East Coast
Or, you could scour SF looking for a suitable (and much better replacement)...

No, I think you (meaning the collective experienced staff) need to be honest and up-front with her. Offer that she run the advice by one of the more experienced guys at the shop before she gives it, just to "give the customer the best experience possible". As long as you frame it with wanting to make the customer as happy as possible, there is less of a reason for her to take it personally. (Though some people will still take it personally no matter what). She may catch on quickly, but maybe she should be put in the role of a trainee first (where she observes how to make sales, etc...though I know you said you are short-staffed anyway). She may be nuts, but maybe you can make her into a good salesperson...

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
why would anyone want to upgrade from avid mechanicals is the real question i have.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
biggins said:
why would anyone want to upgrade from avid mechanicals is the real question i have.
It is not like the customer, a mom whose husband just started riding mtn as well, even needed disc brakes. Frankly, I felt a little funny dismissing my co-worker's opinion in front of another woman.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
sanjuro said:
It is not like the customer, a mom whose husband just started riding mtn as well, even needed disc brakes. Frankly, I felt a little funny dismissing my co-worker's opinion in front of another woman.
well ya know some people are motivated by the sale sanjuro and some people are motivated by giving honest opinions and satisfying a customers needs. i think you did the right thing.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
stephanie said:
Or, you could scour SF looking for a suitable (and much better replacement)...

No, I think you (meaning the collective experienced staff) need to be honest and up-front with her. Offer that she run the advice by one of the more experienced guys at the shop before she gives it, just to "give the customer the best experience possible". As long as you frame it with wanting to make the customer as happy as possible, there is less of a reason for her to take it personally. (Though some people will still take it personally no matter what). She may catch on quickly, but maybe she should be put in the role of a trainee first (where she observes how to make sales, etc...though I know you said you are short-staffed anyway). She may be nuts, but maybe you can make her into a good salesperson...
One thing: early on she had no respect for my experience.

I was hired by the old manager, who recognized my experience. At the same time, the owner was floating the idea to his then girlfriend that he would hire her and train her.

So when I was hired, the owner immediately commented that he did not hire me, although my resume was impressive enough that kept me on (and he likes to jokingly remind me that fact). She, on the other hand, got really mad, and immediately started giving me a hard time.

I thought if she wanted to work at the shop, she should have just made more of an effort to get a job, which considering the entire staff left after the summer, seemed very likely. I certainly did not appreciate getting a hard time.

ktmsx

Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
CT.
I guess somebody has to ask ....is she hot...because that will help with sales...ha..ha...ha...take it easy ladies..... just kidding around.....sounds like she is a nut and will probably move on soon ...

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
...so your boss hired his annoying ex-girlfriend to work w/ you at the shop???

Considering your cirumstances as stated above:
Fake your own death, then start work at another shop under an assumed identity.

The sooner you do this, the better a chance you have of retaining your sanity.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
she sounds like a nutjob who is trying to make more money for the shop throwing out advice and recommendations that aren't needed.

I appreciate you sticking up for the customer.

If I went to that shop, and that btch tried to tell me something about bikes (that I already know isn't true), I would lose faith in going there. I would immediately relate that shop to a bunch of money grubbing hos who aren't interested in doing what's best for the customer.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Keep the advice coming.

During the psycho-b*tch dating stage, she would turn her hate spotlight onto different people. One week it was me, next a co-worker, another time a shop friend.

I felt a certain relief when she would start hating someone else.

Frankly, she is a lot better (and she is not hot). My head is not going to explode working with her, but I think I am going to make some mild suggestions to her about how to improve.

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
she sounds crazy, and is probably unwilling to improve. unfortunately she has had sex with owner and you ( I am asuming) have not. The best thing to do is voice your concern to her and anyone else who may matter and then steer clear. if she refuses to acknowledge your criticisms and continues to be a nuisance, then I would seek some kind of intervention from a higher up. Most of the time crazy ladies aren't worth the energy so if you can avoid her and get this worked out without creating to big a rift that would be best.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
laura said:
she sounds crazy, and is probably unwilling to improve. unfortunately she has had sex with owner and you ( I am asuming) have not. The best thing to do is voice your concern to her and anyone else who may matter and then steer clear. if she refuses to acknowledge your criticisms and continues to be a nuisance, then I would seek some kind of intervention from a higher up. Most of the time crazy ladies aren't worth the energy so if you can avoid her and get this worked out without creating to big a rift that would be best.
The problem with me is my desire to do it right versus years of learning how it is impossible.

I just don't like to dismiss other people opinions.

BTW, do you recommend I have sex with the shop owner? Would that change things?

Mackie

Monkey
Mar 4, 2004
New York
sanjuro said:
The owner of my bike shop hired his ex-girlfriend to work part time, which we badly need as there is only one full time employee right now.
Oh, c'mon people. Can't some Cali monkey help this guy out?
Go into the shop - ask this chick a few questions - -then complain to the manager that her service/knowlege/attitude sucks.
Explain how you will no longer patronize any shop that would employ someone like her, etc. Explain how you were about to drop 3k on a carbon roadie, but now you have to go to the shop down the road.....

2, 3 folks do this & I'd bet she would be gone pretty damn quick.

amydalayna

Turbo Monkey
Aug 16, 2005
south lake tahoe, ca
Mackie said:
Go into the shop - ask this chick a few questions - -then complain to the manager that her service/knowlege/attitude sucks.
Explain how you will no longer patronize any shop that would employ someone like her, etc. Explain how you were about to drop 3k on a carbon roadie, but now you have to go to the shop down the road.....

that's actually not a horrible idea. sanjuro, i could give you a hand the next time i'm in the area.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
sanjuro said:
BTW, do you recommend I have sex with the shop owner? Would that change things?
I would imagine that it would certainly change things.

Depending on how good you were, things could get better, or they could get worse ;)

As underhanded as it is, I like Mackie's suggestion. If she gave genuinely good answers then maybe there's hope for her yet. If she gives a bunch of lousy answers and/or has a bad attitude, then there's a legitimate reason to make a complaint anyway.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Your co-worker sounds like quite a pill, which is probably why she's an ex-g/f... why he'd hire an ex is beyond me except that she's probably blowing him in the back room.

pill + free BJs = you screwed

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Mackie said:

1. The owner knows exactly how incompetent his ex-g/f is: she went to UBI's 2 week class for mechanics... and failed the certification exam.

2. Guess who the manager is? I'll give you a hint, he posted about his boss's ex-girl.

Actually, I was the manager, now that I am part time, there is no manager, but I am the senior employee there.

J

JRB

Give me the shop's name and number. I will call and complain about you, I mean her. :D

Seriously - you have a couple of options. Sleep with the boss. Sleep with the crazy chick. Sleep with them both. Get drunk and poop in the corner right before you leave. :think: It's limitless.

I would honestly just point out her inability to offer up help to your boss.

I felt awful the first time I pointed out to Ross, my friend with the shop, that his help was brainless, but it helped him in the long run to know.

Good luck. However you handle it.

skinny mike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 24, 2005
tell the owner what is going on. let him know that his ex-girlfriend needs to get going in the right direction. if he starts making an excuse about her then confront him professionally stating that if he hired her he should have a strictly business relationship with her. just recently the service manager told me to step up my work if i want to have any chance of being a mechanic and that has definitely helped me get in line and realize that i cant half ass anything if i want to get promoted. a little criticism can go a long way.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
loco:
Seriously - you have a couple of options. Sleep with the boss. Sleep with the crazy chick. Sleep with them both. Get drunk and poop in the corner right before you leave. It's limitless.
Lol - that's hilarious...

...random shop customer: "Excuse me, but would the person defecating in the corner PLEASE STOP?!"

My personal favorite: Get drunk and sleep with your boss, then poop on the counter when a customer asks about the crazy chicks' advice.

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
sanjuro said:
1. The owner knows exactly how incompetent his ex-g/f is: she went to UBI's 2 week class for mechanics... and failed the certification exam.

2. Guess who the manager is? I'll give you a hint, he posted about his boss's ex-girl.

Actually, I was the manager, now that I am part time, there is no manager, but I am the senior employee there.
I have worked at a few shops, and had to deal with idiots - customers and co-workers alike.

Best advise I can offer? Brutal, total honesty.

Tell the boss exactly how you feel, and that YOU are the expert, and YOU are selling bikes with your EXPERT knowledge, and that this chick needs to STFU around customers, or the bottom line is going to suffer.

If the boss doesn't deal with her, walk. Life is too short, and there are plenty of good shops in the bay area that may want you, especially now that it's not raining.

If all that doesn't work, give every customer really dangerous advise, then stab someone with a handfull of spokes and take all the cash out of the register on your way out the door.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
H8R said:
If all that doesn't work, give every customer really dangerous advise, then stab someone with a handfull of spokes and take all the cash out of the register on your way out the door.
"oh, that little flippy thing on your wheel, that's just there for looks, you don't need to tighten it"

"with this lightweight titanium bike, you could so totally do a 7 ft drop like the pros...."

H8R

Cranky Pants
Nov 10, 2004
MudGrrl said:
"oh, that little flippy thing on your wheel, that's just there for looks, you don't need to tighten it"

"with this lightweight titanium bike, you could so totally do a 7 ft drop like the pros...."
"Here's a spoke wrench, you can do your own wheels, it's easy."

"You only need a helmet for road riding."

N8 v2.0

Not the sharpest tool in the shed
Oct 18, 2002
The Cleft of Venus
sanjuro said:
During the psycho-b*tch dating stage, she would turn her hate spotlight onto different people. One week it was me, next a co-worker, another time a shop friend.

You work with loco...?????

:eek:

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
H8R said:
"Here's a spoke wrench, you can do your own wheels, it's easy."

"You only need a helmet for road riding."

sanjuro: "Buy some motor oil and coat those two round things on your wheels. It's secret trick. The oil keeps them cool, so you can get better braking performance. No-one in the bike industry makes a specialized cooling oil, so they can make more money selling you more expensive brakes."

customer: "I see some pro's wearing body armor- should I get some?"

sanjuro: "They have it because they go big. Beginner's don't need armor because they are still learning. Begginer's don't even need helmets. People only buy helmets to look like bikers and feel they fit it. Real biker's don't need that crap. "

riverside73

Monkey
Nov 29, 2004
Just start in on the practical jokes and she will probably leave after she has had enough. Assuming she is the only female employee, I would start with the saran-wrap over the toilet bowl. That will get you started (she will probably have to leave to go change!!), just make sure everyone in the shop (except her) is in on it, that way she suspects everyone and won't be pointing fingers. And if that pises the boss off, then he can fire everyone and let the nut job run the shop into the ground.:cool:

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I had the pleasure of working 7 hours with the lady sanjuro is talking about, SHE HAD TO BE SHOWN HOW TO CHANGE A TIRE!!!! And she took my bike out to wash it (I didnt know she was nor did I want her to) and she had already started spraying on the bike cleaner. I tell her "Do not get any on my chain, roters or brakes." I go to ride to the bank and sure enough my brakes dont work and my chain is noisy as all hell. I get to the shop, clean my roter sand my brake pads, and lube the chain. As I am riding home I try and stop, My brakes still dont work

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Now I will definitely have that chat with my co-worker, and I won't be as nice as she hadn't fvcked over some else's bike...

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Follow-up: I never had that chat with my co-worker. I thought alot about what I would say, but she did a fine job today and we got along well, so how can you criticize that.

The boss mentioned she is in therapy, so that is a good thing. He also mentioned how while she did wash TheMontashu's bike (with his help), TheMontashu was responsible for rinsing off his bike. Any problem with his bike is his fault alone....

TheMontashu

Pourly Tatteued Jeu
Mar 15, 2004
I'm homeless
I spent 20 minuts rinsing my bike and payed special atention to my brakes roters and chain. I did not put any of the bike wash **** to the bike