Quantcast

World Championships 4X

admin

Chimp
Jun 28, 2001
NULL

It was an Aussie sweep at 4x as Jared Graves secured his first ever world title in the men's division while young local hero Caroline Buchanan took the win for the women in front of a hometown crowd.

---

It was an Aussie sweep at 4x as Jared Graves (AUS) Yeti went gate to gate tonight to secure his first ever world title. For the ladies, it was the young local hero Caroline Buchanan (AUS) taking the win in her hometown in front of her friends, family and school mates.

Graves snapped the gate every heat never having to come from behind on a course he clearly dominated. No one was able to catch the Olympian as he powered down the first strait and into the lead, time and time again.

"I really probably had the smoothest nice racing I have had all year, Graves said. "I didn't make one mistake all night, I can't believe it. To finally put it all together and walk away with a world championship is a dream come true. These were my two major goals. Every year you set goals, and this is the first time I have achieved both of my major goals in one season. It's an unbelievable feeling."

Buchanan managed to pull an incredible gate in the finals, getting out in front of Melissa Buhl and Jill Kintner and stay out in front for the entire track.

Buchanan burst into tears with about 100m to go, realizing she was out in front and untouchable on her home course. "I was pretty emotional. There was a lot of pressure and media. I managed to escape it and channel it. I knew it was my race, I wanted to win. When you come down the last straight the lights are behind you, you can see shadows if someone is there. I couldn't see anyone. To be able to do it in my hometown, it's incredible. From the podium I could see my friends, my family, my butcher even my hairdresser."