Quantcast

World Championships DH

admin

Chimp
Jun 28, 2001
NULL

It took 15 years, but Englishman Steve Peat has finally won himself a World Downhill Championship.

---

Peaty Wins!

It took 15 years, but Englishman Steve Peat (syndicate) has finally won himself a World Downhill Championship. In front of a rabid Aussie crowd, Peaty received as much of a cheer as the locals as he made his way down the short 1.6km course.

"It's unreal. I keep getting texts from all of my friends at home and that's what's making me emotional. It's gonna take a long time for it to sink in properly I think. I get to wear this jersey for a year, I'm pretty happy. For sure I'll be back next year. I get to wear this for a year! I have at least one more."

Peat beat out teammate and South African Greg Minaar who was .04 back, and Aussie comeback kid Mick Hannah for third.

For the ladies it was Emmeline Ragot of France (Suspension Center) getting her first big win. Favorite Sabrina Jonnier front flatted, her first flat in as long as she can remember, and went down hard in a berm before the triple threat, ending her day.

"My run was awesome. I tried to ride fast in the lower parts and I tried to stay smooth in the upper parts. After that I said let's go! I tried pedaling and perfectly jumping the triple threat. I jumped so far on the road gap that I landed on the front wheel."

Close behind Ragot was Tracy Moseley of the UK (Trek) and Kathy Pruitt of the USA (Jamis).

jonetall

Chimp
Jan 1, 2010
Great to see Holly up there. Shaun must be pleased with his result too! Same for Mick.
Oh I was so hoping that a top 3 Aus on the mens podium, as a rare possibility it may have been but possible none the less.

Thanks.