Quantcast

World Championships - Val di Sole

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or
Wow I just watched the sam vs. gee side by side, and sam was so much faster in every section. Freecaster is awesome, bringing the masses to the best sport in the world.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Wow I just watched the sam vs. gee side by side, and sam was so much faster in every section. Freecaster is awesome, bringing the masses to the best sport in the world.
Freecaster is the Devil! They're the new "opium for the people". It used to be the church who captured peoples minds, as well as educated them. Then the tabloids took over the role of dopyfying the masses (I guess some stupid bitches thought they got educated from them). Now we're seeing the break of the new dawn; Sam Hill will dazzle the masses with his balls out riding. Hail to the new Pope!

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
I hear ya and that's one of the reasons I don't race very often. (Another reason is that I just ain't very fast!) But we are talking about racing here. A win is a win and this time it was Gee's day.

As for Gee being a "mere mortal", if Saturday proved anything it proved that Sam is also mortal.
Ohh man, that's a pity. I race because it gets me pumped like nothing else, not because I can tudor the others in Shaolinbiking. If it get's you crazy, DO IT!

A win is a win and winners are forgotten. Legends live on as we remember their rides as long as we live. Rides that makes us feel alive just by looknig at them on a screen. A week or so ago I gave the example of WC winners in football; how nobody care about previous winners, but at the same time everybody loves Brazil for the beauty they're bringing (even though they haven't won for ages).

Sam went down and lost the race. That, together with his ride, that was sketchy as hell as he was airborne more than touching the ground, is a part of the legend. Mortals don't fly. :clue:

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Thank you Freecaster for giving me the chance to view this as I was bz breaking my collarbone this saturday. You're the DH theoretics tudors of the world!

Sam Hill is blazin!1111

CRoss

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2006
The Ranch
Yeah, no luck here either. I have no problems with the other Freecaster vids or the live feed, but the live replay vid just isn't working for me.
It does not start playing as fast as normal videos. My computer sat for about 45mins before the video started to play.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
Did my daily freecaster.com replay of Sam Hill's run at worlds.....

I don't get it? how can a human being stay upright all the time while going so fast? (I am talking about the gnar sections, not the final sweeper turn).

Just amazing.

I will say however, there are times I watch sam hill and say to myself 'self, this is the fastest guy ever on a bike, holy crap!!!"
Then I watch some old vids of Nico and remember there was this astonishing talent before. Did not think there would be another alien-like rider so soon.

freeridefool

Monkey
Jun 17, 2006
medford, or

I don't get it? how can a human being stay upright all the time while going so fast? (I am talking about the gnar sections, not the final sweeper turn).

Just amazing.

I will say however, there are times I watch sam hill and say to myself 'self, this is the fastest guy ever on a bike, holy crap!!!"
Then I watch some old vids of Nico and remember there was this astonishing talent before. Did not think there would be another alien-like rider so soon.
Word, couldnt have put it better myself. I was talking to my uncle who raced with nico about sam. He didnt know who sam was until I showed him the freecaster vids of sam. He said vico is truely and alien but sam has the potential to change the sport as we know it.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin

Just amazing.
My experiances of the Force while in Jedi Academy is that Sam is projecting the future of his ride while riding. He has seen him self over every obstacle and corner and seen that "I'm going to skid this much", and that is why he can stay soo cool and sometimes even keep his foot up with confidence.

How far ahead in the future a Jedi can see differs, and that difference is what ranges the Jedi's among them selves when it comes to skills. That said, a Jedi needs to be a master of everything that has to do with life as a whole. One of those things is patience. A thing that is so important that it's considered a virtue among Jedi's.

Patience and focus on the present is what caused young padawan Sam to lose it in that last turn. Got hot headed while he was thinking of all the bitches that would be all over him at Bada Bing Bar, celebrating the Champ.

That last bit was pure speculation. ;)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering

Just amazing.

Did you get to see the GT team video they were showing of Nico in practice airing out some rock to G-out at St. Anne that Cully & Peaty said was f-ing impossible to do that was cutting some 2 seconds off his time?
I remember the story saying that both were stunned to see it & scratching their heads but that come finals time Cully tried it, blew up & Nico didn't even do the line in his race run. Just a mind game?

I think Hill has the talent of Nico to read & process information, but not the patience & discipline to stay 100% precise & patient like Nico did. His aggressiveness can get to him at any given race...but with Nico, the only things that stopped him were short power courses or mechanicals.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO

Just amazing.
I've got this theory - and no evidence to prove it - that some people have nervous systems that are wired so differently from the rest of us that they actually perceive time differently. There are other examples in nature - think of, say, a house fly or a chipmunk - some little creature that can make sudden movements almost instantaneously and faster than the human eye can perceive. I've read that studies have shown that because their nervous systems are basically faster than ours, we appear to move in slow motion to them (how many times have you tried to swat a house fly with your hand and that sumbitch somehow moves just before you squash it?).

Basically, I wonder if the same thing holds true for some people - they can perceive and process information at a rate the rest of us cannot, making things like obstacles in a DH course seem to come at them more slowly. If that were true, it would literally be impossible for most of the rest of us to do the things these people can.

--JP

BTW, none of this is meant to diminish Sam's freakish ability to cut insane turns, his dedication, and his huge drive to win - those are also huge factors in his performance.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
I've got this theory - and no evidence to prove it - that some people have nervous systems that are wired so differently from the rest of us that they actually perceive time differently. There are other examples in nature - think of, say, a house fly or a chipmunk - some little creature that can make sudden movements almost instantaneously and faster than the human eye can perceive. I've read that studies have shown that because their nervous systems are basically faster than ours, we appear to move in slow motion to them (how many times have you tried to swat a house fly with your hand and that sumbitch somehow moves just before you squash it?).

Basically, I wonder if the same thing holds true for some people - they can perceive and process information at a rate the rest of us cannot, making things like obstacles in a DH course seem to come at them more slowly. If that were true, it would literally be impossible for most of the rest of us to do the things these people can.

--JP

BTW, none of this is meant to diminish Sam's freakish ability to cut insane turns, his dedication, and his huge drive to win - those are also huge factors in his performance.
There was a late 80's - early 90's movie about a guy that had that ability. Wasn't it called The Fly? :D

You and Bizutch are actually right, it's about perceiving and prossesing. The nervous system sertainly has to do with this, as to syncronize with present time we need to be relaxed and therfore fearless. Fear makes us tense, which in turn causes mindblocking (and thus makes us easier to rule over, so watch out for politicians who want to instill fear in the public).

Guys who can style it in the air have that same ability; they read the present more accurately, it's almost like they can slow down time. The Matrix trilogy had quite a lot of this issue in it. Neo was first tought about it, and later he learned to master it completely (that's when all the 1-0-1's apeared in front of him).

That trilogy was all heavy stuff, most taken from Baudilliard's Simulation/Simulacra, all based on psychedelic experiances. Need to read it some day, might improve my DH. ;)

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
I haven't heard much mention of Jared Graves getting taken down in the 4x final. I can't help but feel like this was his race. Watch the Yeti podcast...
Graves chose a bad line for the turn is all. If Deldyke hadn't taken him, he had 2 other riders who were aimed right at him too. He swung wide early thinking he would cause the others to scrub speed and force them all wide.

He mis-timed it and everyone else accelerated inside of him all at once. I think it's almost a virtual replay of how EC took Gold. Graves guarded his line but left the back door open. If you're going to take the wide line, you can only do it if nobody can get a wheel on the inside of you.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
Listening to the Gravey interview on the Yeti vid, Graves seems to think that Deldyke had way too much speed for the line he was doing. As Graves puts it "If I wasn't there, he would've blown completely off the berm." Interesting point.

But one could easily make the case against Milan with that same line of thinking. He def had some crusher moves, with one guy getting hip checked off course.

I guess that goes to show "Rubbin's Racin'!" And one reason I do not prefer 4x.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Graves chose a bad line for the turn is all.
I agree. Coming from a background in BMX, Graves made a mistake and it ultimately led to what transpired. Had he taken the same line the other 2 riders took (low - high), I think his chances would have been better that he would have been able to hold them off and come out of the turn in first.

JohnnyC

Monkey
Feb 10, 2006
Rotorua, New Zealand
I agree. Coming from a background in BMX, Graves made a mistake and it ultimately led to what transpired. Had he taken the same line the other 2 riders took (low - high), I think his chances would have been better that he would have been able to hold them off and come out of the turn in first.

Graves did leave a window open for Deldycke but it was Deldycke that screwed up, watch the video you can see his feet are all out of place and his body is too far forward like he's tripped up on himself.

bpatterson6

Turbo Monkey
Jul 1, 2004
Colorado
Graves did leave a window open for Deldycke but it was Deldycke that screwed up, watch the video you can see his feet are all out of place and his body is too far forward like he's tripped up on himself.
I agree. However, had Graves not been there to begin with I think he has a better chance to come out in first taking the low-high line. Deldycke was out of control no doubt about that but bottom line is, Graves made a mistake and the rest is history. I hope he can pull off a Win at the Olympics. That would be very cool. I have always thought Graves has a great style! IMHO, he is the most overall talented rider out there! In 2007, he was the only rider in the world to participate in 3 of cycling worlds. BMX, 4x and DH. The guy can ride a bike and it's only a matter of time before he gets his World Championship! :cheers:

ok all ... i think i've got over worlds ... hectic week of shooting then processing and delivering images.. then 4 days shooting GT press camp, then 5 days of riding in scotland with no internet ... nice.

so to make up for lost time and appease the baying masses i have uploaded 2 galleries, 1 of the whole event here: http://www.flipper.co.za/gallery/Worlds_2008/

and the other that i shot in B&W with a little more behind the scenes perspective here: http://www.flipper.co.za/gallery/Worlds_2008_BW/

laters
gary

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Flipper, whatever they pay you for your photos...you deserve more. I counted at least a dozen photo angles that no one else ever hits & each one leaves a lasting impression.

Minnar's engraved brake lever w/ the sun in the background. Above & behind the podium perfectly centered before awards. Neetlhing's 2 wheel drift. The procession of riders leading to awards. Graves on the jump in disgust. Peat's misery on the podium. The junior XC racers in all their glee with medals shimmering. Bryceland with gold medal perfectly centered in the UCI jersey logo..again shimmering in the light.

How the hell are you everywhere during every single important happening of the event...at the exact moment a piece of key drama happens & nobody else gets that drama captured in a single snap?!!! Just WOW!!

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
ok all ... i think i've got over worlds ... hectic week of shooting then processing and delivering images.. then 4 days shooting GT press camp, then 5 days of riding in scotland with no internet ... nice.

so to make up for lost time and appease the baying masses i have uploaded 2 galleries, 1 of the whole event here: http://www.flipper.co.za/gallery/Worlds_2008/

and the other that i shot in B&W with a little more behind the scenes perspective here: http://www.flipper.co.za/gallery/Worlds_2008_BW/

laters
gary
Been waiting like a kid on xmas for this link.