Quantcast

World Championships - Val di Sole

Pip3r

Turbo Monkey
Nov 20, 2001
Foxboro MA
Basically, I wonder if the same thing holds true for some people - they can perceive and process information at a rate the rest of us cannot, making things like obstacles in a DH course seem to come at them more slowly. If that were true, it would literally be impossible for most of the rest of us to do the things these people can.

--JP

Isnt it proven that fighter pilots are able to physically develop the ability to see more frames per second that your average human? Dont see why the same cant apply here

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Isnt it proven that fighter pilots are able to physically develop the ability to see more frames per second that your average human? Dont see why the same cant apply here
There was also a study that Peaty referenced about using white gloves/bright colored gloves b/c it helped hand/eye coordination.
Just noticed in Flipper's pics that Sam is wearing black gloves...Gee's wearing white. And Sam wore 1 white/1 black at Ft. Bill...it's a theory.:clue:

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
It wouldn't surprise me if it was correct.

There was also a study that Peaty referenced about using white gloves/bright colored gloves b/c it helped hand/eye coordination.
Just noticed in Flipper's pics that Sam is wearing black gloves...Gee's wearing white. And Sam wore 1 white/1 black at Ft. Bill...it's a theory.:clue:
Sam's quite a lot for playing tricks on others minds, or have I got him wrong?

motomike

Turbo Monkey
Jan 19, 2005
North Carolina
just throwing this out there that I came up with that idea on my own too! And I do believe it works pretty well also, just like using roost guards on mx bikes, in some weird way it helps with coordination more than anything... got a link to that study?

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
White shoes make you spin higher RPMs.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
just throwing this out there that I came up with that idea on my own too! And I do believe it works pretty well also, just like using roost guards on mx bikes, in some weird way it helps with coordination more than anything... got a link to that study?
not a clue. just remember it from the days when he was on GT & the first to dare wearing "XC" gloves. It was his 2nd or 3rd year & Troy Lee had stopped making the solid white ones. Someone had asked him if he bought htem in volume and he just said "nah, lots of bleach". Then "Why 2 year old white gloves? Superstitious?" and he said it had to do with a hand/eye coordination study in sports.

It came out the Giant Vat of Useless Knowledge called my brain.:crazy:

MttyTee

Monkey
Jun 20, 2007
Back on the east coast!
Basically, I wonder if the same thing holds true for some people - they can perceive and process information at a rate the rest of us cannot, making things like obstacles in a DH course seem to come at them more slowly. If that were true, it would literally be impossible for most of the rest of us to do the things these people can.

--JP
I don't know how many of you have been watching Speed TV's coverage of the AMA Nationals but Jeff Emig has commented on this a couple of times when asked how James Stewart can do the things he does, like make 2nd place look downright slow. Jeff's comment are that the top guys just process things quicker than mortals and that James just processes things even faster than that. So when he looks absolutely pinned and on the edge, he's probably well within his comfort zone and processing info at a reasonable rate.

I'd be curious whether it's hardwired into their brain from birth or if it's something they've just become accustomed too, if so, I wonder how much you can improve your reaction times. I'd have to guess it's hardwired from birth b/c both James and Sam have been fast since day one.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
I don't know how many of you have been watching Speed TV's coverage of the AMA Nationals but Jeff Emig has commented on this a couple of times when asked how James Stewart can do the things he does, like make 2nd place look downright slow. Jeff's comment are that the top guys just process things quicker than mortals and that James just processes things even faster than that. So when he looks absolutely pinned and on the edge, he's probably well within his comfort zone and processing info at a reasonable rate.

I'd be curious whether it's hardwired into their brain from birth or if it's something they've just become accustomed too, if so, I wonder how much you can improve your reaction times. I'd have to guess it's hardwired from birth b/c both James and Sam have been fast since day one.
coming from a hockey goalie background I have a feeling it has to do more with seeing that speed other than being born with it. I play with a lot of ex pros, and jrs and I wasn't always as quick or able to track the puck like I do now. It's just a matter of getting accustomed to the speed and quickness of things. you have to push yourself to that limit, that edge and then get familiar with it, stick with it. some people just get use to it and adapt to it quicker. some people don't even try because their nerves kick in and their mind won't allow them to get to that edge. I guess that's where the whole fight or flight thing comes in.

Jul 19, 2005
Manizales, COLOMBIA
i read a study talking about the perception on speed...said if you started at a younger age your mind will get used to speed easier, so things would look slower to riders that started racing at a younger age!

General Lee

Turbo Monkey
Oct 16, 2003
The 802
i read a study talking about the perception on speed...said if you started at a younger age your mind will get used to speed easier, so things would look slower to riders that started racing at a younger age!
read a study on F1 drivers a few years ago that seems to point to inner-ear perception as well. it's one thing to see what is in front of you and react, it is another this altogether to react to what is going on underneath you as the bike (or car in the case of the article) slides around and changes direction. the gist of what they discovered is that your inner-ear (it's filled with fluid and hair-like receptors and gives you your sense of balance and spatial awareness. . . blah blah blah) is what first signals your brain that the back of the car (or bike) is sliding out. i can't remember the numbers but it was a few fractions of a percentage point quicker than the sensation you feel from the seat or the side of the car telling you that traction is being lost or direction is changing. the hypothesis was that F1 drivers, and very likely dh racers, motocossers, etc, all possess extra sensitive inner-ear perception and can react to it quickly. that would explain how they manage to get impossible amounts of traction in places the rest of us simply cannot. if you are familiar with the concept of fly-by-wire aircraft then that would be a good analogy with which to compare. the computers on board make 1000's of adjustments per second to keep F-16's in the air, without the computer to help the human pilot would lose control. Hill, Atherton, Minnaar, James Stewart have one of those computers, you and I do not.

John P.

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2001
Golden, CO
Google "Tachypsychia" - it's a natural pyschological condition brought on by certain neurotransmitters that causes the affected to feel like time has either increased or slowed down. Apparently certain people (read: Sam) can exploit this phenomenon at will.

(Thanks to Tom L. for giving me the heads-up on this!)

--JP

I think its something that is continually gained. Growing up playing baseball, pitchers speeds kept increasing, but the reaction time always felt the same.

With riding, the harder I ride on a consistent basis, the slower I feel I am going. Basically if I ride all the time fast, fast starts to feel slow/standard, so I think you learn speed. After fast starts to feel slow, you start actually getting faster and the cycle repeats itself. Just my thoughts.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I think its something that is continually gained. Growing up playing baseball, pitchers speeds kept increasing, but the reaction time always felt the same.

With riding, the harder I ride on a consistent basis, the slower I feel I am going. Basically if I ride all the time fast, fast starts to feel slow/standard, so I think you learn speed. After fast starts to feel slow, you start actually getting faster and the cycle repeats itself. Just my thoughts.
Definitely. Anyone who has improved a lot in almost any sport will notice this. My cruising speed on a DH bike now is probably my kamikaze speed from 6 years ago. I definitely noticed it playing football as a kid, too. Moving up through peewee ranks then through the various high school stages, the game seemed faster every time. At first you think it's just too much, then you get used to it and it seems normal.

LukeD

Monkey
Sep 9, 2001
Massachusetts
haha AWESOME MUSIC...
but ya here's what i'm talking about... track the puck.
also, keep in mind. At this level, it's not just stopping the puck. You have to take into account that we have to direct rebounds out to an area where the other team is not...make quick movements to catch it in our gut, chest, glove etc. If not the puck out bounce out pretty wild. there's much more going on than most people think.

also kinda cool

Last edited:

LMC

Monkey
Dec 10, 2006
haha AWESOME MUSIC...
but ya here's what i'm talking about... track the puck.
also, keep in mind. At this level, it's not just stopping the puck. You have to take into account that we have to direct rebounds out to an area where the other team is not...make quick movements to catch it in our gut, chest, glove etc. If not the puck out bounce out pretty wild. there's much more going on than most people think.

also kinda cool
cool videos!

and the music for the 1st one is indeed awesome!, must watch top gun later

punkassean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 3, 2002
SC, CA
Wait! So you're saying that the more you do something, the more comfortable you will be at it? I never would've guessed! ;)