Quantcast

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
it's only logical, how would it be fair to choose a footballer of the year based on international play in years when there is no world cup? basing their choice off ****ty friendlies? it makes much more sense to base it off of club performance where you get to see them playing 50-60 matches in that year.
There's no perfect system, clearly. Honestly, I don't get club football (not really having any top teams in US or Canada. It's so weird for me to see people from Cleveland OH live and breathe by the wins and losses of Arsenal. If I lived in London or Europe for example, it would probably be different.

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
There's no perfect system, clearly. Honestly, I don't get club football (not really having any top teams in US or Canada. It's so weird for me to see people from Cleveland OH live and breathe by the wins and losses of Arsenal. If I lived in London or Europe for example, it would probably be different.
I have the same issue. I can catch the occasional game, but I would have to buy some super sports package to get any real coverage. I follow highlights and scores for Chelsea during the season, but that's about it.

On a side note. Portland gets an MLS team next year at PGE park. I loved going to Timbers games (pacific league?) when I lived there and I will be sure to catch games when I'm in town when they are an MLS club. University of Portland still puts out some of the best players.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the last pro soccer game i went to....washington diplomats....rfk stadium...

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
To Spain :clapping:

Wow, that was NOT the game I was anticipating. Now that my bracket couldn't get any worse, GO BIG ORANGE!!!

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
NASA has little else to do these days.

NASA piles on the Jabulani hate:
"Appalling."

"The guy who designed this ball never played football."

"The worst ball that I have seen in my life."

So says everyone from Iker Casillas to Robinho to Fabio Capello. Former Liverpool striker Craig Johnson even wrote a passionate 12-page letter to Sepp Blatter, president of FIFA, on how the Adidas ball "could ruin the game as we know it." Trashing the Jabulani has become something of a sport in its own right, with wildly mis-hit shots celebrated with resounding cries of "Jabulani!" in pubs and living rooms around the globe.

Now it turns out there is a very real scientific basis for all the moaning. NASA's aerodynamics people at the Ames Investigation Centre managed to get some MLS players to kick a very dusty Jabulani around to what sounds like a soundtrack from a 1970s instructional video. The tests confirm what everyone has been saying: Jabulani's scanty 440-gram weight, coupled with the high-altitude conditions in South Africa, means when at speeds of 44 mph or more the ball becomes susceptible to something called the "knuckle effect." That's aerodynamic shorthand for "it swerves all around like crazy at high speeds because of the air flow on the seams and stuff,"

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I kinda wanted to see Beckham bend that thing a bit. I want them to go back to a conventional, 32 (I think...) panel ball. The kind some of us grew up playing with. Of course I played shoeless, w/ a newspaper stuffed sock, in the Sao Paulo ghetto. Uphill, both ways. 7 miles each way.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I kinda wanted to see Beckham bend that thing a bit. I want them to go back to a conventional, 32 (I think...) panel ball. The kind some of us grew up playing with. Of course I played shoeless, w/ a newspaper stuffed sock, in the Sao Paulo ghetto. Uphill, both ways. 7 miles each way.
I liked the old school ball from 2002.

The world cup seems to be the only tourney that changes balls. The '06 maxipad ball sucked ass, too.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Watching Spain last night was like watching a scientist dissect a large, dangerous beast. Had to be done carefully and was actually done masterfully. If they can maintain anything close to that level of precision in the final the Dutch will once more be the bridesmaids.
Was also refreshing to see such an important match devoid of yellow cards and if there were more than 10 fouls in the whole match I'd be surprised.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I liked the old school ball from 2002.

The world cup seems to be the only tourney that changes balls. The '06 maxipad ball sucked ass, too.
One would think that FIFA, an organization that seeks to standardize the game internationally, would also seek to standardize the ball.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Adidas writes a fat check, I'm guessing. At least its round.
As does Nike to USA Soccer. I said it a long time ago when Nike came aboard, USA Soccer will go nowhere with Nike as a sponsor. The former Secretary General of USA Soccer lived in my hometown...he got Nike to build a sweet field in town, which was quickly co-opted for softball and HS football.

jimmydean

Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
As does Nike to USA Soccer. I said it a long time ago when Nike came aboard, USA Soccer will go nowhere with Nike as a sponsor. The former Secretary General of USA Soccer lived in my hometown...he got Nike to build a sweet field in town, which was quickly co-opted for softball and HS football.
A sad truth indeed. Nike has some big names, but I don't think they have done much for the progression of the sport fo sho.

They have one of the nicest fields on the planet at the world campus in Beaverton. When I worked there, employees weren't allowed to play on it for fear they would mess it up in case they needed to do a photo shoot. :disgust1:

<edit> It's called "Ronoldo Field" :rofl:

Last edited:

dump

Turbo Monkey
Oct 12, 2001
I always got the impression Nike a "me too" sports company. Which is not to say that they don't often put out a good product (See: Nike Poohbah)

I can say w/o a doubt that Adidas knows football/soccer from my past experience w/ their clothing, footwear and footballs (and has for the last 50+ years.) Nike, jumped on board about 15 years ago (?) and still doesn't quite seem to get it.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
I always got the impression Nike a "me too" sports company. Which is not to say that they don't often put out a good product (See: Nike Poohbah)

I can say w/o a doubt that Adidas knows football/soccer from my past experience w/ their clothing, footwear and footballs (and has for the last 50+ years.) Nike, jumped on board about 15 years ago (?) and still doesn't quite seem to get it.
Word...I have never honestly had a GREAT Nike product, one that made me want to buy a couple dozen to hold for the future. Nike soccer boots lasted half a season, while Adidas lasted til you wore them out over multiple seasons or outgrew them. A Nike pair of MTB shoes disbonded quickly for me, while I am still wearing a piar of Adidas Durangos from 04-5...

Nike has moved out of hockey as quickly as they came in, which is good for the game. They never created anything, simply rehashed old designs and bought out existing design firms (Canstar/Bauer).

Although to be fair, I do like the Nike Dri Fit stuff, but its no better then Adidas Clima Lite or Under Armour, just easier to find.

conor

Monkey
Jan 19, 2009
Ireland

just an example, i think nike make much nicer designs and adidas have mostly gone the skin tight look which i don't dig.