Quantcast

Worlds in a week! Track preview with Brook!

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Trek World Racing‏@trekworldracing

@AaronGwin1 had a brake malfunction is not immediately evident what caused this. Still exploring.
Was he riding Cannondale Coda Dics maybe?

What a race today. I was sitting on the edge of my seat. Great to hear Rockwell speak and the booth had some funny comments today.

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
looks like gwin was still on the proto's.

http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Results-Leogang-DH-Finals-UCI-World-Championships-2012.html

"Monkdawg working over Gwin's brakes first thing this morning before practice started. Official word is that the prototype brakes Gwin's been using since last winter failed after a some hard cornering--Shimano engineers are tearing into the brakes to determine what went wrong. These are prototypes, though, not production, so the guts are a bit different than what everyone else is running. Gwin was offered the production brakes as soon as they became available, but favored the feel of the prototypes over the production versions; my guess is that he will be on production brakes in Norway for World Cup Finals."

davetrump

Turbo Monkey
Jul 29, 2003
I heard that monkdawg forgot to bleed the oil out of the air on the protos.
Leaned over in first corner - pads were lubed.

Sounds like you or the guy you "heard" from have a real solid grasp of how hydraulic brakes work :rolleyes:

Last edited:

Scrub

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2003
NOR CAL, Sac/CoCo County
I heard from my friends internet chat buddy in BF Egypt that the Shimano prototype brakes forgot to bleed themselves, though the production models will have a bleeder dude that comes with them in the box.:rolleyes: thats just what I heard on the internet.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
Great to hear Rockwell speak and the booth had some funny comments today.
He was surprising bad informed (or played dumb). A couple of times he said that they had timed a section and that this or that line would be fastest or you can't make up 2 secs on the lower split and then riders did. I really can't believe that he did his homework so bad (or TWR in general). Trying to fool the competition? :confused:

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
He was surprising bad informed (or played dumb). A couple of times he said that they had timed a section and that this or that line would be fastest or you can't make up 2 secs on the lower split and then riders did. I really can't believe that he did his homework so bad (or TWR in general). Trying to fool the competition? :confused:
So he can't be wrong ? Some riders obviously knew some stuff TWR didn't but in your line of work - do you know everything your competition knows?

ebarker9

Monkey
Oct 2, 2007
I actually thought that he did a great job in the commentary booth. And, as I recall, the person who made up 2 secs on the bottom section did so vs Bryn who hucked that last drop and went slightly off course, not to mention the fact that we didn't see all of the bottom.

iRider

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2008
So he can't be wrong ? Some riders obviously knew some stuff TWR didn't but in your line of work - do you know everything your competition knows?
I am not saying he can't be wrong. Just wondering what was going on. He clearly observed other riders and their lines in training and timed sections with TWR riders. So I can't imagine he was that off a couple of times. I was just thinking he didn't reveal all info or mentioned wrong info in case that one of the other team managers followed the live feed. Just speculating here, but a feeling I got while watching, especially later in the race.

aaronjb

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2010
Did you guys see Richie-Rude's podium shot?
It's a pattern with U.S. juniors who get silver at Worlds. I was chastised when I pointed out how glum Neko Mulally looked on the podium at St. Anne in 2010, though. In that case, I think Brosnan's proven himself more since that time.

Rude should be proud of that medal, but the situation with the re-run probably leaves a "what if?". Bruni arguably has better support and has had a great season, though.

Last edited:

William42

fork ways
Jul 31, 2007
in fairness, just because your in your first wc doesn't mean you're going to crash right out of the start gate.

toodles

ridiculously corgi proportioned
Aug 24, 2004
Australia
Can't wait to see how Gwin goes in Norway... He sounded like he was planning on making up for his bad luck when he gets there.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
From the friends on vitalmtb:

Race favorite Aaron Gwin (USA) saw his hopes of taking a 'bonus' title this year come to an end around 1min 20secs into his final race run, when inexplicably both his front and rear brakes failed, resulting in a crash. Shortly after the crash Aaron pumped the brakes to try and get some pressure going but it was insufficient to complete the course safely at speed, and he cruised to the line disappointed he was unable to throw down a run on the three and half minute course

Smurfette

Chimp
Dec 29, 2011
It's a pattern with U.S. juniors who get silver at Worlds. I was chastised when I pointed out how glum Neko Mulally looked on the podium at St. Anne in 2010, though. In that case, I think Brosnan's proven himself more since that time.

Rude should be proud of that medal, but the situation with the re-run probably leaves a "what if?". Bruni arguably has better support and has had a great season, though.
Based on Rude's posts on Facebook I would have to say he is very proud of his silver medal... there were at least 10 photographers taking photos for 5 mins at the podium, there is a chance that you wont be saying cheese in every photo....as for support Yeti/Fox seem to take very good care of the first year Junior.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I think my biggest surprise at the Worlds this year were the Canadian women. Especially Holly Feniak. I guess with all the hype surrounding Tahnée Seagrave, I had assumed it was in the bag for her. What's amazing is that Holly's time was good for a top 10 in Sr. Womens. I hope she gets support to go to more World Cups next year... it would be good to see the rainbow stripes representin'!

Pinkbike did a little "women who ride" piece on her earlier this year: http://www.pinkbike.com/news/Women-Who-Ride-Holly-Feniak.html. Pretty cool to see that she had worlds set as a target, worked for it, and got it.

profro

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2002
Walden Ridge
Gwin is awesome...can you imagine doing a massive bar hump with a look back with no brakes?

Not to mention the disappointment he must have been feeling. What a legend.
Yes. Very impressive. It could have been too easy to be a sour puss, but he made the best of it and congratulated Greg right away. Great role model.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Yeah, it's great to see this level of sportsmanship between him and Greg. Greg went also immediately to Gwin to ask (I think) what happened.

Not to mention the disappointment he must have been feeling. What a legend.
I think he wasn't too disappointed, because he mentioned often enough that a one race title is kind of "dumb" to crown a worldchampion. Nonetheless it's an important race and title and he knows that.

But I'm sure that his time will come.

Last edited:

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
Yeah, it was pure class all around from the top guys in the sport. Greg actually went up to Gwin after his run to check on him BEFORE he started celebrating his Worlds victory. I would have already funneled 3 bottles of champagne and been naked by that point.