Quantcast

Worn out 4th gear?

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Is it possible/plausible to wear out only a single gear on a cassette? My SRam PG990 seems fine in all the other gears, and shifts into and out of 4th just fine, but won't hold 4th no matter what I do. New chain, derailure is primo, and I can ride in 4th, it's only while climbing that it slips. Doesn't usually stay out of gear, it will just jump up or down for a half a revolution, makes it impossible to climb while out of the saddle in 4th. Before I just throw money at it, anybody have an idea on what mite actually be wrong?

That cassette has plenty of miles on it, but if I've worn out 4th, I should have worn a few others as well, I don't even ride in 4th very often. I've worn out cassettes in the past, but they just started shifting like poo, this has me stumped.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
Sram has had dramas in the past in that one gear was worn out from the factory, I thought it was just mine but I found out long after I'd thrown it out that there was a bad batch.

Do you like to pretend you have an SS and just ride in 4th? ;)

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
Hmm, been off my bike for a long time, and just getting back into it, don't remember there being issues before, but 1 crap gear from the factory is possible I guess. Any idea when they were having issues? This is on my '05 Yeti, so it's a 2004/2005ish production cassette.

I would understand if it were my middle chainring, or 5th/6th as that's where I always seem to be, don't use 4th hardly at all, except while climbing out of the saddle, and it's killing me when it skips.