Quantcast

Worth it for a street mtb?

L

luelling

I am buying this bike as a care free, destroy it and walk away bike. I had a heavy steelhead with 48h wheels and hated it becuase of the weight so I sold it...I wanted something lighter that was cheap and I found the bike below. I wanted to know if anyone had experience with it, or what they thought. I'm going to dump the cranks for Funn BMX cranks(I have already) and I have a few other little things I may do when I get it, like a seat swap. I can snag it new for about $319. I"m basically looking for a bike that I can hit that grind and not care that I scratched the frame up doing it.
http://www.mongoose.com/bikes/detail_us.php?id=407&brandLine=Pro_US&brandID=67

Good deal?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I would say no. At that price I would be inclined to buy used or get a BMX. The drivetrain would suck, the thing would be a pig, and it wouldn't really work for what you're doing.

The best option (if you want to spend a bit more) is buy a used frame like a Steelhead, DOC, etc. and build it up SS w/ decently light yet strong parts. You'll love it, and with SS you don't have to worry about skipping gears and weight.

L

luelling

Bicyclist said:
I would say no. At that price I would be inclined to buy used or get a BMX. The drivetrain would suck, the thing would be a pig, and it wouldn't really work for what you're doing.

The best option (if you want to spend a bit more) is buy a used frame like a Steelhead, DOC, etc. and build it up SS w/ decently light yet strong parts. You'll love it, and with SS you don't have to worry about skipping gears and weight.
Alright bro, read before you post. I had a steelhead, I don't want a 40 lbs beast. I lost about 6-8" off my hop when I went from a light bike to a heavy bike. As for BMX, I don't run that game anymore because for me personally, I hate riding BMX all off season and then trying to get used to my big ass DH bike for race season. I do realize BMX is cheap and super tough, but I would rather stick with a mtb. Its up in the air on weather I'll run single or gears. If I choose to go single, I can sell the gear setup. That was kinda my point, I can sell the cranks and maybe the gears for cash as new and then it would make that $300 price tag that much less. I have the stuff with BMX cranks, chain and rear setup to run singlespeed.

My big question was, for $300 is it a descent bike to trash on? Will the frame hold up? Is the geometry alright? Will the fork blow apart? I just want a fork that will hold up, nothing super fancy becuase you always run the risk of scratching stanctions on grinds. Will it be worth it to buy this bike, swap a few components and then ride the hell out of it?

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I read your post. I understand what you want. All Steelheads don't weigh 40 pounds, it was a thought at most.

If you want a cheap bike like that get a 2006 Specialized Hardrock Pro. So sick. Sram X7 shifters, splined cranks, good wheels, all for $320 from a good shop (that price is low retail). I just wouldn't get that Mongoose with the other available options for the price.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
@ luelling

I see where you're going, but I think the mongoose you picked isn't the best you could do.

Did you consider one of the burlier cruisers?