Quantcast

Worth it to get a headset press?

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
I've held off for years on this and it's the only part of my bike I can't work on. Not a huge deal since I've typically run CK headsets but would like the ability to inspect the headtube from time to time.

Question is do you need to Ream headtubes for all headsets or just CK headsets. If I can simply pick up the Part press and punch and that's all I need I may just do it.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by DH Dad
I've held off for years on this and it's the only part of my bike I can't work on. Not a huge deal since I've typically run CK headsets but would like the ability to inspect the headtube from time to time.

Question is do you need to Ream headtubes for all headsets or just CK headsets. If I can simply pick up the Part press and punch and that's all I need I may just do it.
Reaming headtubes before headset installation is a good practice.. CK demands it, but all headsets benifit from it - it simply ensure that the press surface is even and you don't have any odd areas of high stress or low stress which can cause problems and creaking. But, a reamer is frickin' expensive and it's usually easier to let the LBS handle it. No, it is not a necessity, just a good practice - similar to chasing your threads on your BB shell before installation of a bottom bracket. Not a necessity but it's little things such as those that make the difference between a good mechanic and a great mechanic. Simply depends on how meticulous you are about these things.

As far as the headset press goes, if you are popping your headset in and out you should definitly have a press. You can rig one up at the hardware store for not much money - long threaded rod and some washers - but if I were doing it, especially to a nice headset, a press is the way to go.

DH Dad

Monkey
Jun 12, 2002
MA
Thanx, sounds like I should still let my LBS install the first time or simply Ream it for me.

As far as chasing the threads I always wondered about this. How is this done, is a special tool needed?

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by DH Dad
Thanx, sounds like I should still let my LBS install the first time or simply Ream it for me.

As far as chasing the threads I always wondered about this. How is this done, is a special tool needed?
I don't have the BB thread chasing tool, but I've got chasing tools for a couple other applications and they're nothing more than a hardened, precisely made set of threads. I believe they may be a tiny bit deeper than normal threads but that's just a guess. You just screw it into the threads you are chasing and unscrew it. All done. It simply ensures the threads in the shell are exact, without any burrs or flaws.

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
Press is the way to go. With CK headset be sure to us the adaptors (purchased seperately) when installing.

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
You can do CK headsets with a homemade press though. I have done it many times with no ill effects.

I would just go the homemade press route, it works just as well as the Park model, and the cups will go in straight with just a bit of attention.

One tool I do like is the Park headset removal tool. You can sometimes get it for $20 online, and it is way more effective than the homemade version (split 1" pvc pipe), not to mention a screwdriver, which I wouldn't want to use on an expensive headset.

When I get a new frame I usually take it to the LBS and let them face and chase the BB shell, and face and ream the headtube. Usually costs $20 but it's worth it.