• Only on Easter, Christmas and St. Patty's Day

Votes: 1 14.3%
  • No way... I only drink Kool Aid in a real church

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
elf, the point is not simply to get people to go, but to get young people engaged. bring a laid back atmosphere (beer) with good conversation and you'll get an entirely different crowd than a latin mass, for better or worse.

elf 232

fewchur serjin
Jan 5, 2007
Im in your head
elf, the point is not simply to get people to go, but to get young people engaged. bring a laid back atmosphere (beer) with good conversation and you'll get an entirely different crowd than a latin mass, for better or worse.
i dont know about anyone else but im generally not in deep conversation when im stone cold drunk

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I've never been to a chruch and don't plan on going to one. Actually I'm not sure where to find a chruch.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
There's a Rabbi here called, "The Adventure Rabbi". She holds educational and spiritual outings -- hiking, biking, skiing -- temple at 12,000 feet on top of a mountain in hiking or skiing boots? Sounds cool. Been tempted to go.

moff_quigley

Why don't you have a seat over there?
Jan 27, 2005
Poseurville
weelll im not quite sure beer in church is exactly biblical but i guess that is one way to get ppl to go anyway....
It's not exactly unbiblical. Drinking wine and or some type of primitive beer in biblical times was considered normal and acceptable. The only admonition (in the N.T. anyway) was not to get drunk. In my experience most American Christians seem to be hung up on having a drink of alcohol. Geez...even the Puritans busted out the rum on celebratory occasions.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
There's a bunch of upstart "churches" (in finger quotes because they don't actually have their own buildings, they just rent out coffee houses and the like on Sundays...which blowz, cause I like walking into town for a cup of joe on Sunday mornings...) near me. "The Vineyard"...."The Village"...etc. The marketing campaign and leaflet leaving that happens in my neighborhood is really starting to get to me. I've informed the individuals that I would really appreciate them not leaving their materials on my property. Hasn't seemed to get through to them. An angry badger might be my only option soon.

MudGrrl

AAAAH! Monkeys stole my math!
Mar 4, 2004
Boston....outside of it....
It's just like the dmn church rock....that sad, sad, rock music played in churches.

the churches are suffering from empty pew syndrome, and they're trying to convince the younger generation that they're "hip" and "with it"..........

it's like your grandparents trying to convince you they're cool and fun to hang out with because they suddenly decided to listen to....

Fall Out Boy

or some crap like that

but you *know* what they're trying to do, and it's just sad.

Secret: We had a church leaving stuff on our door until I called them and threatened to leave all of my recyclables and newspapers at their church.

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
It's just like the dmn church rock....that sad, sad, rock music played in churches.

the churches are suffering from empty pew syndrome, and they're trying to convince the younger generation that they're "hip" and "with it"..........

it's like your grandparents trying to convince you they're cool and fun to hang out with because they suddenly decided to listen to....

Fall Out Boy

or some crap like that

but you *know* what they're trying to do, and it's just sad.

Secret: We had a church leaving stuff on our door until I called them and threatened to leave all of my recyclables and newspapers at their church.
Duly noted.

I got recruited / suckered / bribed to do this church gig a couple years ago. It paid well (as freelance music gigs in the PNW go...) so I figured that since my wife was in on the deal too, it would be beneficial to the bank account to partake as well.

So anyway, it's a musical about Jesus. They got pretty much all the hick, not-even-good-enough-for-American Idol-rejects to be the actors/singers (and I use both those words in the loosest form possible).

But I digress...point of the story: They put about 8k into just the mixing boards and computers for the sound setup in this relatively small building and they don't have anyone that knows how to run it. They have "Ben". Ben's a stoner that's forced to go to church and basically because he has an off-brand MP3 player, he's obviously the most qualified to run thousands of dollars in electronics.

So we're playing along with pre-recorded singing (this is ALWAYS!!! ALWAYS!! ALWAYS!!! a bad sign...) and we stop. The director wants to start in the middle of the song and proceeds to tell Ben this.

"Ben, let's start at letter C."
"Uhhhh...."

*Director starts conducting and the soundtrack is all the way back at the beginning. Stop...*

"Ben, letter C."
"Uhhhh....."
"It goes da da daaaaah da da daahhh."
"Uhhh...."
"Letter C!!"
"I can go to the beginning..."

Repeat ad nauseum. At least they paid well....