Quantcast

Wow, so we have two Lounges now?

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
basically it's like blowing snot-bubbles, if you've ever done that. Gooey stuff holds air remarkably well. I'm going to use it on my DH bike this season if the damn thing ever gets here.....

Deyv

Deyvil
Mar 26, 2002
Montreal
I saw Stan's demo at a bike show and it was really really impressive, will try some after I got used to my new bike.

JMAC

Turbo Monkey
Feb 18, 2002
I use tubeless i would get for XC racing i think it's worth the price.

SM get a Kale cannondale like my 02 F800 if they still make that color nothing beats it.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by sub6
:Anybody in here use Tubeless (Stan's or other) for XC racing? I'm seriously considering trying it......
I have used stans for racing for about a year now. Works great, lightweight.

Just be careful if you are racing in a really rocky area, cuts in the sidewall will ruin your day tubeless or tubed. I will use a true UST tire for those conditions, the extra rubber in the sidewall=extra protection. Use Superglue to fix punctures that the goo cant seal (very large holes and small cuts will not seal with goo alone).

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
i've been using the UST and love it. i've only had one flat in a race, i hit something hard enough to roll the bead a little bit and lose a good deal of pressure. thinking about throwing some stans sealant in there. it's nice so far though definiatly worth buying.

ARmtnBIKER

Chimp
Apr 10, 2002
The Natural State
you are using a descent tire, I've been running it for almost a year now and up until about 2-3 weeks ago had never really had a problem. But just rescently I thought I would try out some Panaracer Trail Blaster tires :eek: I will strongly recomend not running them with Stan's!! They are way way way too thin evidently, I have had about 6 flats in the last 2 weeks, needless to say I am back to running tubes at the moment. These tires have so many cuts in them its not funny, and they aren't in the sidewalls either, they are all in the tread area. Stan's will usually seal up a puncture within a few seconds but it hasn't been true with these tires. Can't wait for UPS to deliver my new tires tomorrow so I can get back to being tubeless. Like Westy said, when it comes to racing this season I will run UST tires for the added protection.... I HATE FLATS!!! :angry:

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
I use UST tubeless on my XC bike, I've found it to be a little finicky as far as holding air for a long time (if it sits for a week I have to pump it up, but it never needs air during a ride). I've never had a flat though, and I've ridden by at least a dozen people in races fixing tube flats :cool:

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Originally posted by Echo
I use UST tubeless on my XC bike, I've found it to be a little finicky as far as holding air for a long time (if it sits for a week I have to pump it up, but it never needs air during a ride). I've never had a flat though, and I've ridden by at least a dozen people in races fixing tube flats :cool:
A little liquid latex in a UST tire stops the slow leaks and gives it some puncture protection. For racing latex and regular tires can drop 3/4lbs from your tires.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
you didn't put the tire on correctly. i have let mine sit for a month w/ the same pressure just to see how much it would lose and not much was lost, no different from a regular tube though :monkey:

Squeak

Get your pork here.
Sep 26, 2001
COlo style
So does Stans drop the weight of the wheels? Removing a tube and adding goop. Seems like it would be a wash?

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by indieboy
you didn't put the tire on correctly. i have let mine sit for a month w/ the same pressure just to see how much it would lose and not much was lost, no different from a regular tube though :monkey:
The back one never loses air. The front one always has. I have replaced both the front and the rear tires (I know how to do it) and the front still loses air and the back doesn't. So I think it's something with the wheel.

It really doesn't bother me since I have a compressor and check/adjust my tire pressures before every ride based on where I'm riding anyways. Someday I'll put it under water and figure out what's up :monkey:

ARmtnBIKER

Chimp
Apr 10, 2002
The Natural State
Originally posted by Squeak
So does Stans drop the weight of the wheels? Removing a tube and adding goop. Seems like it would be a wash?
Yes you will loose a some weight going from a standard tire with tube to a standard tire and stan's rim stip and sealant. If you are running UST tires and Rims you can drop a lot of weight by going with standard tires and Stan's over UST tires.

ARmtnBIKER

Chimp
Apr 10, 2002
The Natural State
The back one never loses air. The front one always has. I have replaced both the front and the rear tires (I know how to do it) and the front still loses air and the back doesn't. So I think it's something with the wheel.

It really doesn't bother me since I have a compressor and check/adjust my tire pressures before every ride based on where I'm riding anyways. Someday I'll put it under water and figure out what's up :monkey:
probably leaking around the valve, a buddy of mine had the same problem with his Bantrager Race Lite's, within a day or so his tires would almost be flat, found out they were leaking from the valve stems. I had a set of Mavic tubeless for a while and I never had to check air pressure in them. I also never have to check the air pressure in my 517's with Stan's.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta

i'm w/ AR, that either your valve might not be secure or you may have damaged the rim.

Ridemonkey

This is not an active account
Sep 18, 2002
Toronto, Canada
I've been using Hutchinson Pythons for about 3 years. Great tires overall - no pinchflats. Great all around dry condition tires but poor for mud use.

Another thing about UST - forget about running your tire until you have worn all the tread off - you won't get the same life out of them. They need to be replaced when they get worn down a fair amount.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by Ridemonkey
I've been using Hutchinson Pythons for about 3 years. Great tires overall - no pinchflats. Great all around dry condition tires but poor for mud use.

Another thing about UST - forget about running your tire until you have worn all the tread off - you won't get the same life out of them. They need to be replaced when they get worn down a fair amount.
I noticed the same thing with the Scorpions. They wear really fast. But they hook up great so I've been okay with it. I won some Maxxis UST tires at the winter xgames so we'll see if they are any better.

Airborne

Chimp
Nov 21, 2002
Pittsburgh, PA
i have been looking into stans too for a bit now. i have been pinch flatting a lot but hate riding high pressure here on my hardtail with a race seat in the mud and wet rocks this time of year. prolly buy the kit this weekend...

Aug 13, 2002
sandy beaches of O.C.
Originally posted by ARmtnBIKER
Yes you will loose a some weight going from a standard tire with tube to a standard tire and stan's rim stip and sealant. If you are running UST tires and Rims you can drop a lot of weight by going with standard tires and Stan's over UST tires.

Hmmmm, sounds like I will be tring that soon, I love shavin those grams! Thanks!

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
stans rotors are supposed to save like 1/5 of a lb also if you are into weight saving practices.

I have been holding off on using stans because I have flats and I get them alot. I'd rather be carrying a tube tire levers and a tire pump in the traditional fashion.

I ride sidelong on the hills often times and when I ride mud tires at low pressure I get this weird feeling that I know a low pressure tubeless would give. I like the 'wet' feeling in mud but not on dry.

I am told that stans will go up to high pressures also. Though I keep getting like giant nails puncturing my tires. I figure that stans would likely deflate faster than a tube if it goes the tire will leave the rim quicker. I am not afraid to do 60Km an hour down the hillside but when my front tire kicks out at that speed I need that three seconds to jam my discs before leaving the bike.

Sure I wear armour for xc but not for freak tubeless punctures. I would get too bloody mad and go into a fit of rage if I got covered in sloppy sealant in order to finish the ride. Trying to apply crazy glue to a tire then without extra fluid would be a pain.

Losing a little pressure out of the sides if something happens freaks me out too. I understand they would be excellent at 25psi or greater. That only leaves winter biking as an option and I figure the slop would freeze and not work. So I am out of options.

Throwing bike not good.