Quantcast

wow that sucks!!!

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Chutney said:
Yeah, especially since the crop we planted all across the midwest when we cut down the forests is growing up so nicely.

:think:
I hope to god you're joking.

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
BurlyShirley said:
I hope to god you're joking.
yes.

That would be the classic hippie line.

In all seriousness though, at the rate we consume wood based products and plant trees, lumber is not a renewable resource - look at the amazon.

buildyourown said:
It's not your water we want. It's your lumber. After Bush cuts down all of our trees, he's coming for yours.

I'm gonna go get drunk.

nope

water.... it is on the CIA list of real global destabilzation issues... yet everyone seems to over look that we have a dimishing supply of natural clean water supply... canada however has the majority of clean water in the world....

in ten years it will be a critical issue

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
BarbaRosa said:
nope

water.... it is on the CIA list of real global destabilzation issues... yet everyone seems to over look that we have a dimishing supply of natural clean water supply... canada however has the majority of clean water in the world....

in ten years it will be a critical issue

Bull crap...

Colorado has you brainwashed because water is scarce there, in my neck of the woods, wonderful streams of pure water abound. You can dig a well anywhere just about and we have a ton of reservoirs with the option to build more. Not to mention the fact that we could make just about any water (including sea water) safe to drink if it REALLY came down to it.

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
BurlyShirley said:
Bull crap...

Colorado has you brainwashed because water is scarce there, in my neck of the woods, wonderful streams of pure water abound. You can dig a well anywhere just about and we have a ton of reservoirs with the option to build more. Not to mention the fact that we could make just about any water (including sea water) safe to drink if it REALLY came down to it.
Thats great that you have water coming out your ears, but thats not the case through a good portion of the rest of the water. Transporting water in the quantities necesary is quite difficult and expensive.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but with out desalinization dosn't sea water actually dehydrate you? thought that was why they told you not to drink the sea water if you were lost in the middle of the pacific "Cast Away" style...

of course, disregard my entire post if you were being sarcastic.... I couldnt tell.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Chutney said:
Thats great that you have water coming out your ears, but thats not the case through a good portion of the rest of the water. Transporting water in the quantities necesary is quite difficult and expensive.

Correct me if I'm wrong here, but with out desalinization dosn't sea water actually dehydrate you? thought that was why they told you not to drink the sea water if you were lost in the middle of the pacific "Cast Away" style...

of course, disregard my entire post if you were being sarcastic.... I couldnt tell.

I wasnt joking.

Where is this precious water going? To outer space? **** it still rains and the rivers still flow. We are less polluted today than in the 80s as far as water goes so I just dont understand this shortage.

BUT even if there was such a shortage, like I said, we could fix the sea water (not that hard to get salt out of water believe it or not, it is 2004) to do whatever we want. We're not going to invade Canada or some other such crazy crap.

Chutney

Monkey
Jul 27, 2003
Tacoma, Wa
BurlyShirley said:
I wasnt joking.

Where is this precious water going? To outer space? **** it still rains and the rivers still flow. We are less polluted today than in the 80s as far as water goes so I just dont understand this shortage.

BUT even if there was such a shortage, like I said, we could fix the sea water (not that hard to get salt out of water believe it or not, it is 2004) to do whatever we want. We're not going to invade Canada or some other such crazy crap.
Its no problem for the US, true. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, there are other countries in the world.

heres some reading on middle east water shortages to get you started if youd like:

http://www.columbia.edu/cu/lweb/indiv/mideast/cuvlm/water.html
http://waternet.rug.ac.be/

Desalinization plants = lots of money to operate. Middle east countries generally arent so rich.... and then theres the transportation issue.

Slugman

Frankenbike
Apr 29, 2004
Miami, FL
BurlyShirley said:
Where is this precious water going? To outer space? **** it still rains and the rivers still flow.
With all the expansion into arid lands, we are using more water than there is available. Lots of areas of this nation are facing a drought - and the water that should be available in many areas is too polluted to drink.

Just because it is happening in your area doesn't mean that the entire country has it that way. That's like me saying it doesn't snow where I live, so it must not snow anywhere...

BurlyShirley said:
We are less polluted today than in the 80s as far as water goes so I just dont understand this shortage.
You mean the 80's when the Republicans controlled the white house... why did it change, oh yeah - a Democrat was elected to office.

Don't try and make it sound like this just happened, there was a lot of legislation put in place in order to allow the environment to recover - legislation that Bush has tried to repeal/discredit (clean air act, preserving national forest, etc).

BurlyShirley said:
BUT even if there was such a shortage, like I said, we could fix the sea water (not that hard to get salt out of water believe it or not, it is 2004) to do whatever we want.
If it is that simple and easy... then why is it not happening? Why are there any droughts in Africa, or more developed countries like Australia? Why are there watering bans in New England during the summers? It's available according to you.

Stay in school Shirley... and start paying attention.

BurlyShirley said:
Bull crap...

read this ball shaver

http://www.odci.gov/cia/publications/factbook/print/xx.html

(g) increased concerns about the environment, including loss of forests, shortages of energy and water, the decline in biological diversity, and air pollution

Natural resources: the rapid depletion of nonrenewable mineral resources, the depletion of forest areas and wetlands, the extinction of animal and plant species, and the deterioration in air and water quality (especially in Eastern Europe, the former USSR, and China) pose serious long-term problems that governments and peoples are only beginning to address

Environment - current issues: large areas subject to overpopulation, industrial disasters, pollution (air, water, acid rain, toxic substances), loss of vegetation (overgrazing, deforestation, desertification), loss of wildlife, soil degradation, soil depletion, erosion

Disputes - international:... other sources of contention include access to water

http://www.science.uwaterloo.ca/~cchieh/cact/applychem/waternatural.html

Canada fresh water resources
Canada has 20% of the world's fresh water supply

http://news.bbc.co.uk/hi/english/static/in_depth/world/2000/world_water_crisis/default.stm

The world's supply of fresh water is running out. Already one person in five has no access to safe drinking water. Click on the map to read about some of the world's water flashpoints

[PDF] Ongoing Consultations on Document UNEP/GCSS.VIII/4 on Water ...
File Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
... B. Background i) UNEP Water Policy and Strategy 4. The supply and quality of freshwater
remains one of the most critical issues of the twenty-first century. ...
www.pnuma.org/panama/ UNEP-GCSS-viii-4WaterSanitationHumanSettlements.pdf -

http://www.cric.ca/en_html/guide/water/eau.html#fresh
Freshwater, an inestimable resource

Overall, Canada may be considered a freshwater-rich country: on an average annual basis, Canadian rivers discharge close to 9% of the world's renewable water supply, while Canada has less than 1% of the world's population. When we know that only 2,5 % of all water around the world is drinkable, the word «wealth» is not an extrapolation.

Water is also highly visible in Canada: probably no country in the world has as much of its surface area covered by freshwater as does Canada. Of particular note are the Great Lakes. This set of lakes, which is shared with the United States, makes up the largest surface area of freshwater found in one place anywhere in the world.