Quantcast

Wow!! This bike is insane!

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
Found this bike on MTBR... appears the guy's got a few sick bikes. I'm sure many of you have seen it, but for those who havent....

And with 700c and Carbon Lefty:

And this thing is cool too

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
those things are sick!!! there are some bikes like that rolling around boston by some of the former merlin employees. one of them is a complete freak and anyone from boston will agree w/ me, i honestly can't remember his name, i want to say martin...anways he has this sick merlin cruiser w/ disc brakes and a Ti rigid disc fork. then one of the original founders of IF, who is no longer working there, had this insane TI tandem that he built out of scrap Merlin Newsboy tubing (prebent, if you know what the newsboys are you know what i'm talking about) that he went into their dumpsters right when they closed down to get!!!! LOL but i'm glad to see that litespeed is starting to bring back some of the coolness that the guys at merlin put into that company w/ bikes like that. ppl may think they are weird but it shows someone has some originality and the balls to actually make a bike that they don't care what anyone else thinks about it....thanx for something that LBS :thumb:

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
Originally posted by indieboy
those things are sick!!! there are some bikes like that rolling around boston by some of the former merlin employees. one of them is a complete freak and anyone from boston will agree w/ me, i honestly can't remember his name, i want to say martin...anways he has this sick merlin cruiser w/ disc brakes and a Ti rigid disc fork. then one of the original founders of IF, who is no longer working there, had this insane TI tandem that he built out of scrap Merlin Newsboy tubing (prebent, if you know what the newsboys are you know what i'm talking about) that he went into their dumpsters right when they closed down to get!!!! LOL but i'm glad to see that litespeed is starting to bring back some of the coolness that the guys at merlin put into that company w/ bikes like that. ppl may think they are weird but it shows someone has some originality and the balls to actually make a bike that they don't care what anyone else thinks about it....thanx for something that LBS :thumb:
dude, i know exactly who you're talking about. that guy with the tricked out newsboy got fired from Merlin over a sexual harassment incident. he came in wheelworks a couple of times and talked my ear off and didn't buy anything. but he had to show me his bike that's "so cool". avoid him at all costs.

i think it's a shame about Merlin, at least they're still making custom bikes, but i somehow feel like that's on it's way out. check out the build quality on some of the litespeeds, mishapen headtubes, terrible alignment, etc. i know that most if not all of the merlin people were moved to tenessee, but if they start to use the litespeed production line, etc, who knows what might happen. luckily there are like 20+ MA made Merlin frames at Wheelworks...not like i could ever afford one though.

ben.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by Serial Midget
I hav an irrational hatred of lefty forks... and I don't know why... the second bike is sure sweet though!
I'll second that. I wasn't going to comment on that and go screwing up this thread but since you lead the pack I figured I would.

Is there anybody out there who likes them? And if so why?

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
Some of the lefty forks are purported to be super strong AND stiff with the added benefit of lightweightness.

A few pros use them in DS and such.

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
indieboy, I knew you'd have some insight to share! Thanks for the info! And yea, the Newsboy was my wallpaper for SO long, I wanted one like all hell... I had even talked to dealers about getting me one, I was fairly serious about it.

Instead I'm going to build up a Surly Karate Monkey and gradually spec it how I like, then upgrade to an IF ;)

Word!

As for the Lefty... I never liked them either (nor any Cannondale stuff really), but I've seen some people going BIG on them, read about the strength/travel/weight ratios.... then when I tried one I realized, they are actually real nice.

That said, I'd probably never run one myself... but I plan to run an IF Notravel fork on my XC bike anyway!

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
My Lefty isn't the plushest fork out there, or the lightest, but hey, it came on my bike and it works. It is super stiff, that's for sure. And it's better than a Psylo :D

volthause

Chimp
Mar 25, 2003
R-A-L
Originally posted by stosh
I'll second that. I wasn't going to comment on that and go screwing up this thread but since you lead the pack I figured I would.

Is there anybody out there who likes them? And if so why?
I don't think I'd ever ride one, but when they first came out I thought they looked the biz... but I'm a dork for gadgetry and cool engineering.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Echo
My Lefty isn't the plushest fork out there, or the lightest, but hey, it came on my bike and it works. It is super stiff, that's for sure. And it's better than a Psylo :D
I said my hatred was irrational and totally brand oriented. My other intense hatred involved Klein and the 6 Klein logo's each frame has. One of my bike whore buddies showed up for last night's ride on an Attitude with that freaky black, green & purple paint job. I did my best not to notice his new wheels while not drawing undue attention to my 1997 Y-22... :rolleyes:

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by volthause
I don't think I'd ever ride one, but when they first came out I thought they looked the biz... but I'm a dork for gadgetry and cool engineering.
When I look at them I get this feeling that I'm going to fall over.

I remember seeing them with some type of an electronic look out when I first saw them, that peaked my interest.

stosh

Darth Bailer
Jul 20, 2001
NY
Originally posted by Serial Midget
I said my hatred was irrational and totally brand oriented. My other intense hatred involved Klein and the 6 Klein logo's each frame has. One of my bike whore buddies showed up for last night's ride on an Attitude with that freaky black, green & purple paint job. I did my best not to notice his new wheels while not drawing undue attention to my 1997 Y-22... :rolleyes:
My friend has that bike!! :)
He's a cheap one though, I remember his rear shock was leaking and he flipped because it was going to cost 50$'s

splat

Nam I am
Originally posted by scofflaw23

i think it's a shame about Merlin, at least they're still making custom bikes, but i somehow feel like that's on it's way out. check out the build quality on some of the litespeeds, mishapen headtubes, terrible alignment, etc. i know that most if not all of the merlin people were moved to tenessee,
actually most ofthe employess of merlin went over to seven.

also I was doing a road ride with one of the IF guys about 3 weeks ago. he was on an interesting beast , an IF ( obviously )Titanium Road bike , with 26 inch wheels a Steel fork and RSX components. I thought it was an Odd mix.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by scofflaw23
dude, i know exactly who you're talking about. that guy with the tricked out newsboy got fired from Merlin over a sexual harassment incident. he came in wheelworks a couple of times and talked my ear off and didn't buy anything. but he had to show me his bike that's "so cool". avoid him at all costs.

i think it's a shame about Merlin, at least they're still making custom bikes, but i somehow feel like that's on it's way out. check out the build quality on some of the litespeeds, mishapen headtubes, terrible alignment, etc. i know that most if not all of the merlin people were moved to tenessee, but if they start to use the litespeed production line, etc, who knows what might happen. luckily there are like 20+ MA made Merlin frames at Wheelworks...not like i could ever afford one though.

ben.
yeah when i was there for the summer i went in and talked to jason sutterman and martin started tryin to talk to me and jason snatched me up. some of the guys at IF were telling me that he was fired b/c he was caught doing some things that i wont' say that were quite unappriote(sp?). and naw, most of the merlin guys didn't go down to TN. they are all at seven, IF, and Serrotta. and yeah i agree w/ you on the litespeed subject, but i'll leave that one alone. don't want to start ranting. :D

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by splat
actually most ofthe employess of merlin went over to seven.

also I was doing a road ride with one of the IF guys about 3 weeks ago. he was on an interesting beast , an IF ( obviously )Titanium Road bike , with 26 inch wheels a Steel fork and RSX components. I thought it was an Odd mix.
that's Jamie, he's the tacker over there. and it wasn't RSX, the last i knew he had all campy chorus on his bike...oh and the wheels are just 650cc's which is basically a 26 inch wheel.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by LostBoyScout
indieboy, I knew you'd have some insight to share! Thanks for the info! And yea, the Newsboy was my wallpaper for SO long, I wanted one like all hell... I had even talked to dealers about getting me one, I was fairly serious about it.

Instead I'm going to build up a Surly Karate Monkey and gradually spec it how I like, then upgrade to an IF ;)

Word!

As for the Lefty... I never liked them either (nor any Cannondale stuff really), but I've seen some people going BIG on them, read about the strength/travel/weight ratios.... then when I tried one I realized, they are actually real nice.

That said, I'd probably never run one myself... but I plan to run an IF Notravel fork on my XC bike anyway!
yeah sorry i didn't say as much about the bikes as just crazy shiet related to it in a sense.....but yeah the IF rigid fork is sick and is now availalbe w/ a disc mount on it. and the lefty is actually a pretty nice fork. i've gotten to ride quite a few of them and they aren't all that bad. curious to see hwo the new ones w/ the manitou internals hold up.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
i don't wanna put the kabosh on the whole merlin sucks now/is still kinda cool vibe, but i am about 95% sure those bikes are pre ABG.

And lefty's freaking rule.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Capt. Burntout
i don't wanna put the kabosh on the whole merlin sucks now/is still kinda cool vibe, but i am about 95% sure those bikes are pre ABG.

And lefty's freaking rule.
i'm almost positive that they are mick. the only reason why i say that is b/c from what i'm aware of not a single 1.5 headtube (c'dale headshock) has been produced on one of their bikes since they left boston.....