Quantcast

wrists hurting?

tribaltalon

Chimp
Jun 23, 2004
i notice that after like about 2 hours on the bike riding my wrists really start hurting, especially my left one which i broke playing baseball and has never been quite the same. Just wondered if anybody has had a similar ailment, and how they got around it. I can deal with it, but less pain is better. :D

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
A poor bike fit / set up may be causing you to lean too much body weight over your bars. JUst about any good bike shop will assist you with fit.

Welcome to the monkey. :cool:

Crazy Dan

Chimp
Aug 26, 2002
Last Place!
I have the same problem, but I have carpal tunnel syndrome. Sometimes they hurt after I ride, sometimes they don't. I picked up the Fox Static wrist wrap gloves for the extra support around my wrists. They are hot, but they seem to help. One is worse then the other, so I have to tape it up once in awhile.

The Toninator

Muffin
Jul 6, 2001
High(ts) Htown
Crazy Dan said:
I have the same problem, but I have carpal tunnel syndrome. Sometimes they hurt after I ride, sometimes they don't. I picked up the Fox Static wrist wrap gloves for the extra support around my wrists. They are hot, but they seem to help. One is worse then the other, so I have to tape it up once in awhile.
a simple ace bandage worked for me.

luken8r

Monkey
Mar 5, 2004
Melrose MA
I had a similar problem in the past while riding bare knuckles. I picked up a set of Specialized Enduro gloves which have extra padding over one of the main nerves in your palm and it did help out a lot

urbanhuckbot

Monkey
May 28, 2004
same problem here, only i ride bmx, no suspension..i attribute it to a life of senseless self destruction, mainly, bmx and skateboarding.
stretching is good, also check out some chondroitin and glucosamine supplements. helps to lubricate your joints.

Boomer-61

Chimp
Jul 17, 2002
Atlanta, GA
Depends primarily on what you're riding. You on an MTB or Road bike? If it's a road bike, shift position often, hoods to drops to tops etc. If it's on an MTB you may consider bar taper first. If they are swept back too far for you try a straighter bar, likewise if they are straight try a taper. Also, width may factor in. If you have wide shoulders and narrow bars your wrists will be malaligned, and the opposite is true as well.
Good luck.

JeffD

Monkey
Mar 23, 2002
Macon, GA
Dang Boomer, you still ride bikes??? Where ya been? I've gotten the BMX bug and am getting back into serious shape.

Tribal - if you're looking for a longer term fix, you may want to look into serious therapeutic massage (particularly Active Release)...sounds like you have some scar tissue that may be impinging on a nerve that could be broken up.