Quantcast

WTB's weight system bite's!!

Aug 13, 2002
sandy beaches of O.C.
Man, Im p!ssed, I bought 2 new WTB race Mutanoraptor 2.24 tires, WTB claims they weigh a tad less that 600 grams, I think 595, so I put them on my new digital scale, and behold, the first tire is 732 grams, and the second tire is 748 grams. Now to check the accuracy of the scale, I weighed a new set of Raceface LP cranks, claimed be RF, 425gms, actual weight on my scale, 436 grams, so even if my scale is 11 grams off, that is still over 100 grams per tire, and thats about 1/2 pound of extra mass. Now I dont mind the weight if thats what was claimed and what I ordered, I could probably have a wider tire for the same weight.:angry:

Feb 26, 2002
Virginia
Originally posted by BlackhillsBob
Man, Im p!ssed, I bought 2 new WTB race Mutanoraptor 2.24 tires, WTB claims they weigh a tad less that 600 grams, I think 595, so I put them on my new digital scale, and behold, the first tire is 732 grams, and the second tire is 748 grams. Now to check the accuracy of the scale, I weighed a new set of Raceface LP cranks, claimed be RF, 425gms, actual weight on my scale, 436 grams, so even if my scale is 11 grams off, that is still over 100 grams per tire, and thats about 1/2 pound of extra mass. Now I dont mind the weight if thats what was claimed and what I ordered, I could probably have a wider tire for the same weight.:angry:

mutano 2.24 Race is listed at 690g

mutano 2.4 is listed at 595g.

http://www.wtb.com/products/2002/products_tires_extreme.cfm#mutanoraptor

The 2.24 is a different tire design than the 2.4. The 2.24 is heavier because the tread is more aggressive/deeper.

If you got the 2.4 it'd be lighter, but IMO would provide less traction. For *real world* tire weights, you can go to...

http://weightweenies.starbike.com/listings.asp

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
That's why I've heard as well. The 2.4 is a bigger volume tire, but the tread is much less aggressive. Give the ones you've got a shot. The extra weight will help you get into better shape :)

Feb 26, 2002
Virginia
Originally posted by BlackhillsBob
Thanks, that makes me feel better, in the BTI catolog the tire is listed as the same weight as the 595 tire, thats how I ordered it.:confused:
No problem. I actually have seen it misquoted somewhere else too, can't remember where though.

I am currently running the 2.24 as a back tire. I really liked it for the type of terrain I was riding: Colorado (loose rocks, mostly dry, some sand) I really liked it because it's an aggressive tread, but still transitions well when I lean it over.

I just moved back to Virginia so I dunno how it will fair on the east coast mtns yet. No idea how it does in mud.

It also rolls pretty fast for the amount of tread you get.

Surly

Chimp
In mud? Crap. Wet roots? UBER-crap.

I've been running mine for almost a year (2.4 front/2.24 rear) and they're ok for dry conditions, but get the trail wet and they SUCK!

:sigh: I"m waiting for the Hansventures to come out. Or I may try Minions in a 2.3.

Good lunk!

fonseca

Monkey
May 2, 2002
Virginia
FWIW, I own three mutano 2.4s in the race casing, and all are under 550g. I have seen a lot of other people saying theirs weigh 540 or so, so WTB's weights can fall on the lighter side as well.

Mutano 2.4 race front + moto 2.24 race rear is my dry weather setup for VA. This setup exxcels in dry weather, and does okay on damp trails, but when it's muddy, look out. I run Hutchinson alligators in 2.0 for regular muddiness and wet roots and rocks, and swap them for 1.85s when it's really bad. Those are my favorite mud tires, as they clear mud well and have agressive tread.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Sorry to bring up this older thread, but I bought a pair of 2.4 Race Mutano's via mail order (no LBS has 'em in stock) and was surprised to see that they look smaller than the 2.24. This thread says the 2.4 has greater air volume but the 2.24 has deeper knobs - WTF? Can someone explain the differences between the two? I think I'd really want bigger air volume AND bigger knobs so not sure which I should use. Going on a blur set up for all-mountain riding - clearance will not be a problem. Riding in the Bay Area most of the time. Thanks.

Okay....and to add to the fun, there is also a 2.14 Mutano.

The 2.14 is a "2.1", with a tire casing the size you'd expect and relatively tall lugs in a similar pattern to the most-commonly photographed/displayed 2.4, except that the center lugs are larger and more square shaped. All the lugs are deeper than the 2.4, but the overall width is not huge (check the metric sizing they give).

The 2.24 is the badass of the group, with an outer lug dimension just a hair under the 2.4, because it uses a smaller casing but big, badass lugs. It's also heavy, because of all the rubber in them lugs... This is the most durable and aggressive of the Mutanos

The 2.4 uses shallow lugs, a large casing and is very light. It rolls the fastest of the Mutanos, and is great in dry weather, on rocks, etc...except that it's not a DH tire with ironsides on it, so you can tear it (I never have). Due to the shallow lugs, it's also pure DEATH once it gets some mud on it, particularly adobe/slimy mud. I rode in Mammoth in the rain with the 2.4 front and it was fine in the "pumice mud", but typically sketchy when I found some clay on the lower end of Big Ring.

I've been running the 2.4's on both ends of my dually, and it's a great, fast, grippy tire...up to the point where silt gets deep and the lugs can't get down through it in curves.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
"The 2.24 is the badass of the group, with an outer lug dimension just a hair under the 2.4, because it uses a smaller casing but big, badass lugs."

Thanks, that's the info I needed. Seems kind of stupid that the smaller size has bigger lugs, why not use the bigger air volume with the bigger lugs? I wanted the 2.24 when I ordered the 2.4...

If they had the 2.24's lugs on the 2.4's casing, it would be a 2.5 or more and would have to be made heavier to keep the lugs from tearing off.

The 2.4 is designed to give a huge-ass carcass that's still light and fast. It does what it's supposed to, as does the 2.24 for it's task. All of these are XC tires, in my eyes, as opposed to DH.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Okay, so if you were putting new tires on a blur with a 130 mm minute and the bigfoot rear triangle that will be used for all day epics in the Bay Area of Norcal, which one would you use? I'm leaning toward the 2.24 because ordinarily I like a more aggressive tread, but I like the idea of bigger volume and want something that will roll fast. Come on, make my decision for me...! :D

Hey, what's the "bigfoot rear triangle"? I don't know if the 2.4 will fit in the rear triangle of my wife's '03 era Blur...have you got a newer version or something?

I don't know what to tell you, but I have a 130mm Minute and a 5" travel rear end on my Cake, and I have the 2.4's front and rear. As we near the extreme dust and silt stage of the season, I'm thinking about swapping them off for some Weirwolf 2.3's but they have been flawless except for some slight looseness in corners at Mammoth. I could deal with that, though, because they float up and over the deep pumice or sand so much better than other tires, including the 2.14 Mutano I was running on my rear for a while.

There: I'll split the baby: get both sets. Use the 2.4's until things get muddy (death tire in mud) or deep silty, then swap on the aggro version. When things get tacky or dry, go back to the big, fast ones. Not kidding about the fast...you'll be surprised I think.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
Funny you suggested that, 'cuz that's what I plan to do, ride the 2.4s for a while and swap 'em out for something else later.

I'm pretty sure the bigfoot rear end was built for the blur ds/mtx team bikes. I got a beat up one from a friend who knows someone at SCB, he was tired of hearing me complain about not being able to fit more than a 2.2 back there. Can take up to a 2.5 with room to spare. I don't know if it will be available separately next year but I'm pretty sure they will be selling the ds/mtx frame.