Quantcast

WTC Stuff...

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Westy said:
Any of you conspiracy folks care to throw out some ideas on who did this and why?
Well.....I can't consider myself a conspiracy frother....I do think there are some "weird things" about the whole deal. I don't absolutely believe that the gov't is behind it all, but let's just say I would not be the least bit surprised and it would explain a few things.

But we all know GWB and his posse are loons, with something to prove. COnjuring up a villain would be a good way to get their mandate though.

That said, I'd like to hope that that is not really the case.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
MMike said:
Well.....I can't consider myself a conspiracy frother....I do think there are some "weird things" about the whole deal. I don't absolutely believe that the gov't is behind it all, but let's just say I would not be the least bit surprised and it would explain a few things.

But we all know GWB and his posse are loons, with something to prove. COnjuring up a villain would be a good way to get their mandate though.

Although I have seen no evidence it wouldn't suprise me if at some level of government someone knew it was going to happen and just let it happen, but the big conspiracy plan is just a little too hollywood.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
MMike said:
I'm with you there. I hate the idea that the country I know, love, and have spent 12 years serving would pull something like this. But they have done other things in the past on a smaller scale and the thought has crossed thier minds before as well.

RenegadeRick

98th percentile on my SAT & all I got was this tin
jimmydean said:
I'm with you there. I hate the idea that the country I know, love, and have spent 12 years serving would pull something like this. But they have done other things in the past on a smaller scale and the thought has crossed thier minds before as well.
America as a whole didn't do it though. Those responsible may have thought they were doing it for America, but they certainly didn't do it on America's orders.

This document http://worldtradecentertruth.com/Intersecting_Facts_and_Theories_on_911.pdf discusses how one could resolve known facts against the three major "theories":

1. They caught us off guard
2. The government let it happen
3. The government made it happen

It is a very interesting read (as is this other document I haven't made it all the way through yet).

At the end they have some rebuttals to possible questions. This one discusses how many people would have needed to be involved:
Objection: Too many people would have to be involved for complicity to remain secret this long after 9/11.
This objection is the hardest one for 9/11 researchers to deal with, for the scale and audacity of the operation under either complicity theory is breathtaking. However, they are the only theories compatible with the surveyed facts.
This objection is best answered by an estimate of the minimum degree of complicity required to carry out a false flag operation in the form of 9/11. Such an operation would plausibly require, at a minimum:

• A core group of insiders, numbering a dozen or so, with full knowledge of the plan. That group would have to include at least one or two officials at each of the following institutions: the White House, NSC, FBI, CIA, Pentagon and NORAD. They would each have a very specific set of responsibilities to cause certain things to happen, and prevent other things from happening.
• A second orbit of people, numbering 100 or so, responsible for carrying out particular aspects of the operation or providing logistical support for core insiders. Wherever possible, they would be carrying out such tasks as part of other classified or confidential programs with other objectives, genuine or artificially-created. For example, this group would include support staff running secure air defense and communications systems for the White House and Pentagon leaders. As another example, consider the people who would have placed explosives in WTC and fired them on 9/11. Demolition charges could have been placed after the 1993 bombing, or in days prior to 9/11, as part of a reasonable contingency plan that would enable city officials, or their new owner, to “pull” the towers down cleanly, in their own footprints, in the event that they were at risk of falling into other buildings as result of a future bombing. This second group would have to be closely monitored following 9/11, as they represent the most likely risks for exposure of the operation.
• A third orbit of people, numbering in the thousands, serving useful roles but having no knowledge that anything improper is afoot. They would only discover their unwitting involvement through consideration of this kind of retrospective analysis; they would be aware only of how one facet of the official story is incompatible with their experience. This group would include people involved in war games, FAA flight control, FEMA and FBI officials on site in New York City for a bio-terror exercise, security officers keeping the WTC clear, and contractors simply following orders to transport steel beams away from a disaster zone. Given the massive scale of intelligence agencies and clandestine operations that have been kept from the public for decades, a false flag project of 9/11 scale would be tiny by comparison. It would, however, be extremely explosive and risky, and thus every contingency conceivable in advance would be covered. Unfortunately, this conforms to what we see from the outside looking in five years later: a coherent, interlocking set of activities and programs specifically designed to cause 9/11 to happen, make it look like we simply failed to connect the dots in time, obstruct the release of any information that suggests otherwise and capitalize on the opportunity thus given to make new moves on the geopolitical chessboard.
This excerpt discusses possible motives:
I have no doubt whatsoever that those involved had the good of the world in mind in formulating and carrying out the operation. After all, the logic would have gone, a few thousand people lost is a painful but small price to pay for strategically transforming the entire geopolitical order. I have equally little doubt that they honestly believed that, by 2006, Central Asia and the Middle East would be starting down the path to an astonishing liberation of Western-style democracy and freedom, and 9/11 would have been remembered in a different way as U.S. forces were greeted with welcome arms by repressed populations of the region. Tragically naïve, but I believe they believed it.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
"A second orbit of people, numbering 100 or so, responsible for carrying out particular aspects of the operation or providing logistical support for core insiders."

If you did your planning well, even these people wouldn't have to know anything about the overall plan.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i have a hard time believing the same gvmt who couldnt pull out a half-assed covert op in nicaragua in times without internet, where the media had much less access and less pesky reporters could pull such a diabolical masterpiece.

i mean, there was hardly an obvious and tangible incentive or reward, the cost was humongous, and the risk would have been even bigger.

for gods sake, just look at this face!!!!! its dubyas mind we are talking about! (that is, unless the conspiracy includes W being a supremely rational and intelligent person capable of fooling everybody into thinking he is as dumb as he proves).

RenegadeRick

ALEXIS_DH said:
i mean, there was hardly an obvious and tangible incentive or reward, the cost was humongous, and the risk would have been even bigger.
Halliburton (Cheney's Company) has made huge profits. The oil companies (Bush's Texas Buddies) have made big cash too. Exxon in 4th quarter 2005 posted the highest earnings ever for a US company. Not that this proves anything. Just that there are plenty of rewards from the GWOT.

ALEXIS_DH said:
i have a hard time believing the same gvmt who couldnt pull out a half-assed covert op in nicaragua in times without internet, where the media had much less access and less pesky reporters could pull such a diabolical masterpiece.
Also proves nothing, but media is increasingly owned by big media conglomerates. That doesn't prove anything either.

ALEXIS_DH said:
for gods sake, just look at this face!!!!! its dubyas mind we are talking about! (that is, unless the conspiracy includes W being a supremely rational and intelligent person capable of fooling everybody into thinking he is as dumb as he proves).
Bush being a moron (or not) does not counter the scientific evidence I have presented.
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
RenegadeRick said:
Halliburton (Cheney's Company) has made huge profits. The oil companies (Bush's Texas Buddies) have made big cash too. Exxon in 4th quarter 2005 posted the highest earnings ever for a US company. Not that this proves anything. Just that there are plenty of rewards from the GWOT.

Also proves nothing, but media is increasingly owned by big media conglomerates. That doesn't prove anything either.

Bush being a moron (or not) does not counter the scientific evidence I have presented.
Anyone? Anyone? Bueller?
i´d guess you are assuming your points need to be refuted.
although in my view, the burden of proof is yet on your side.

on the bush argument, i was just poking fun at the issue.
about the motives, and the profits.
i´d make a guess if those were the real motives, and assuming equally talented minds, it would have been way easier to just divert the funds thru corruption, or artificially leveraging oil prices.
after all, its the US government leverage we are talking about. hardly any single entity has more leverage than that....

after all, not-so-bright south american politicians could manage to steal sustainedly 1% of the GDP for years... pulling a similar feat in the US, even for a much lower % would yield likely as much or even more, and that would still be a kid´s game compared to pulling a successful 9/11.

in the end, mounting the whole 9/11 thing would be equivalent to using a nuke to kill a mole in your yard.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
ALEXIS_DH said:
in the end, mounting the whole 9/11 thing would be equivalent to using a nuke to kill a mole in your yard.
Not really - There are a vast number of both profit and policy plusses from the Bush / Neocon PoV, which just can't be obtained by simple fraud. Plus it's probably a bit harder to steal money in the US than Peru...

RenegadeRick

ALEXIS_DH said:
In the US bigger is better. In Texas bigger is never big enough.

And yes, please refute my evidence, someone, anyone?

Like I said earlier, I lost family in WTC1. I don't want to believe that the gov't could be responsible, but Occam's Razor slices in that direction. In light of overwhelming evidence, it is indeed the simplest answer.

RenegadeRick

Changleen said:
To me the most pure Occams Razor situation is LIHOP. The official explanation is way more unlikely.
LIHOP cannot explain the collapse of WTC 1, 2, and 7. Insiders would be necessary.

Maybe insiders like leaseholder Larry Silverstein who stands to collect up to $4.6 billion for example?

Not that this proves anything, it is just HUGE motive. Not proof though.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
RenegadeRick said:
LIHOP cannot explain the collapse of WTC 1, 2, and 7. Insiders would be necessary.

Maybe insiders like leaseholder Larry Silverstein who stands to collect up to $4.6 billion for example?

Not that this proves anything, it is just HUGE motive. Not proof though.
Sorry, LIHOP with special effects. I explained it before once I think, you might not have been around. Have you read the stuff about the security operations at WTC 1+2 prior to 9/11?

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
Changleen said:
Not really - There are a vast number of both profit and policy plusses from the Bush / Neocon PoV, which just can't be obtained by simple fraud. Plus it's probably a bit harder to steal money in the US than Peru...
yeah, but pulling a 9/11 is orders of magniture bigger than any of those....

if if they could actually pull 9/11, stealing 0.1% of the GDP or leveraging the oil markets would be a walk in the park for that genius....

RenegadeRick

Changleen said:
Sorry, LIHOP with special effects. I explained it before once I think, you might not have been around. Have you read the stuff about the security operations at WTC 1+2 prior to 9/11?
I have read much on WTC security anomalies. They are discussed in the document I linked in at the top of the page http://worldtradecentertruth.com/Intersecting_Facts_and_Theories_on_911.pdf.
13 WTC security anomalies
A number of strange facts fall under the heading of WTC security anomalies. Among them:
• George W. Bush’s brother was a Director and his cousin was the CEO of the security firm responsible for the design of the electronic security network of the World Trade Center prior to and during 9/11;
• Numerous phone threats of bombs placed WTC on high alert in weeks prior to 9/11;
• Employees of WTC reported rare “power-down” alerts in days leading up to 9/11 in which power was shut down to various floors for maintenance work, rendering security controls and video cameras inoperative; many workers were seen entering and leaving the buildings;
• At least one security guard at WTC reported the abrupt removal of explosive-sniffing dogs five days prior to 9/11;
Also from the same paper:
16 Options trading in days preceding 9/11
During the first 10 days of September and beginning possibly earlier, unusually high levels of “put options” were placed on the stocks of American and United airlines and corporate tenants of the World Trade Center. The 9/11 Commission later concludes “The SEC and the FBI, aided by other agencies and the securities industry, devoted enormous resources to investigating this issue, including securing the cooperation of many foreign governments. These investigators have found that the apparently suspicious trading consistently proved innocuous.” Though known to government investigators, the identities of the parties placing these put options have never been revealed. There should be no reason why such identities must remain concealed if the official story is true.
The options things I mention here prove nothing, but I USED TO WORK AT THE OPTIONS CLEARING CORPORATION. We cleared ALL the US options traded in Chicago, New York, Philadelphia, San Francisco, etc. It was not possible to buy or sell options without your identity being known. Period.
Who were these market mavens? There has been no denial that the trades occurred. So who were they? Wouldn't the Wall Street Journal want to write up some of the most brilliant financial minds ever?

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
ALEXIS_DH said:
yeah, but pulling a 9/11 is orders of magniture bigger than any of those....

if if they could actually pull 9/11, stealing 0.1% of the GDP or leveraging the oil markets would be a walk in the park for that genius....
I think you're drastically over-crediting what it would actually take to pull... And why steal any of the GDP when your companies makes profit from it being as high as possible? As for leveraging the oil markets.. :rolleyes: Just think who is likely behind this.

RenegadeRick

ALEXIS_DH said:
what happened with occam´s razor?
Occam's Razor - William of Occam was a fourteenth century philosopher who enunciated the principle "pluritas non est ponenda sine necessitate", or "nature likes things as simple as possible." In other words, in developing a theory, the simpler the explanation of a given phenomena that takes into account all the experimental evidence, the more likely it is to be correct.
If you haven't accounted for the evidence, it really doesn't matter how simple your theory is.

ALEXIS_DH said:
i´d guess you are assuming your points need to be refuted.
although in my view, the burden of proof is yet on your side.
The official theory does not account for the available evidence, therefore the evidence indeed needs to be addressed and not simply ignored. If it can not be explained in the context of the official theory, then the official theory can not be correct, no matter how simple it may be.

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
Changleen said:
"A second orbit of people, numbering 100 or so, responsible for carrying out particular aspects of the operation or providing logistical support for core insiders."

If you did your planning well, even these people wouldn't have to know anything about the overall plan.
Those people are used to following orders without asking Q's. Later when they realized their part in the big picture they agreed with the purpose of what has happened, or they wouldn't have been picked in the first place..

ALEXIS_DH said:

Of course it is rediculous taht dubya had to do with the planning of 9/11. He couldn't manage his own ass to the bathroom without hitting that stupid head of his somewhere on the way. Looking at his stupid reaction sitting in the classroom when his advisor told him about the second tower, I wonder if he didn't think of that part him selfe though. :D

The rewards have been proven: $;
The cost was not in lives that they care about anyways, i.e. their own. The material damage was for this very reason insured sky high just 2-3 months earlier;
The risk? Where would investigative critisism come from?? They control all authorities, their buddies own the media; gag is on this time as well.

Don't underestimate the US. They have pulled waaay more OP's that have remaind unundetected than the opposite. This one had the advantage of the grandest Hollywoodian proportions that average Joe only can relate to as fiction in films.
In fact, ask people around you what they belive taht the secret agiences of the US is up to and how far they can speculate that they are into some sort of foul play, and you will in most cases get very naive answers.
Why, because people generaly belive that their gvmt's are good and because one can't have any imagination about somthing that is so unknown.

RenegadeRick

N8 said:
this thread is retarded
RenegadeRick said:
Is really the best refutation that the backers of the official theory can muster?
I just noticed that even missing the word "this" in my reply, I still sounded pretty intelligent. At least I used a capital letter to begin my sentence and punctuation at the end. :cool:

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
RenegadeRick said:
I note ALEXIS_DH and SDH have returned to the site today.
I would still like to hear about how molten metal could exist at the WTC in absence of the required heat and pressure.

Thanks.
a) unlike many other posters of various forums I only state opinions based off my knowledge and experiences. That is why I offer opinions of how a structure can collapse.

b) The report you mention may have merit or may not have merit but I am not a Metallurgist. As a engineer taking things at face value b/c someone says so is a recipe for disaster. Doctor or no Doctor.

My responses were simple and the properties of a building collapse can be confirmed by any structural engineer.

The bottom line is a building was hit by a point load that it WAS NOT designed for and it failed. That is engineering 101. How and why is open to interpretation depending on who you will speak with.

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
RenegadeRick said:
I would still like to hear about how molten metal could exist at the WTC in absence of the required heat and pressure.

Thanks.
From your link/article:
"The maximum flame temperature increase for burning hydrocarbons (jet fuel) in air is, thus, about 1000 °C -- hardly sufficient to melt steel at 1500 °C."
"But it is very difficult to reach [even] this maximum temperature with a diffuse flame. There is nothing to ensure that the fuel and air in a diffuse flame are mixed in the best ratio... This is why the temperatures in a residential fire are usually in the 500 °C to 650 °C range [Cote, 1992]. It is known that the WTC fire was a fuel-rich, diffuse flame as evidenced by the copious black smoke.... It is known that structural steel begins to soften around 425 °C and loses about half of its strength at 650 °C [Cote, 1992]. This is why steel is stress relieved in this temperature range. But even a 50% loss of strength is still insufficient, by itself, to explain the WTC collapse..."

Nope, beg to differ...............
From a article in Civil Engineering magazine:
"The impacts from the aircraft have substantially degraded the towers' ability to withstand additional loading and have increased the susceptibility of the structures to fire-induced failure. It is likely that the force of the impact and the speed with which debris traveled through the structures compromised the sprayed—on fire protection of some of the steel members in the immediate areas of the impact. Additionally, some of the columns are now experiencing elevated stress due to the transfer of load from destroyed and damaged elements, and portions of the floor framing directly beneath the partially collapsed areas are carrying a substantial degree of additional weight from the resulting debris—in some cases, carrying greater weight than they were designed to resist.
"As floor framing and supported slabs above and in a fire area are heated, they expand. As a structure expands, it can develop additional, potentially large, secondary stresses in some elements. If the resulting stress state exceeds the capacity of some members or their connections, this can initiate a series of failures, potentially including buckling in columns or failure of floors.
As the temperature of floor slabs and support framing increases, these elements can lose rigidity and bow into catenary action. As catenary action progresses, horizontal framing elements and floor slabs become tensile elements, which can cause failure of end connections and allow supported floors to collapse onto the floors below. The presence of large amounts of debris on some floors of WTC 1 would have made them even more susceptible to this behavior. In addition to overloading the floors below, and potentially resulting in a pancake-type collapse of successive floors, local floor collapse would also immediately increase the laterally unsupported length of columns, permitting buckling to begin. The propensity of exterior columns to buckle would have been governed by the relatively weak bolted column splices between the vertically stacked prefabricated exterior wall units. This effect would be even more likely to occur in a fire that involves several adjacent floor levels simultaneously because the columns could effectively lose lateral support over a length of several stories.
As the temperature of column steel increases and the modulus of elasticity degrades, the critical buckling strength of the columns will decrease, potentially initiating failure, even if lateral support is maintained. This effect is most likely to have been significant in the failure of the interior core columns.

So in simple terms:
Forces are cummulative. Loads are forces. Therefore, loads are cummulative.
Impact damage + fire damage (degraded (not melted) steel strength)+ the debris of a 10 ton airplane sitting in the middle of a floor = floor failure which sets off "pancake" reaction. i.e Dynamic loading.

From your article:
The WTC, on this low-wind day, was likely not stressed more than a third of the design allowable... Even with its strength halved, the steel could still support two to three times the stresses imposed by a 650 °C fire." (Eagar and Musso, 2001; emphasis added.)

YES! so this proves that the steel can be degraded at 650degrees but your article stated that the fire burned at about 1000 degrees b/c of jet fuel. Therefore the steel will degrade more and faster. Now add impact damage and plane debris and down she comes.

RenegadeRick

SDH:

Thank you for your time, but you are not answering the question I have asked. I have asked about molten steel in absence of the required heat and/or pressure as I have provided evidence for earlier in this thread.

If you cannot confirm or refute the figures for metal temperatures specified in the article I understand. Perhaps this is not within your realm of expertise.

Your refutation of a single point in the paper does not invalidate it in its entirety, and in any case it provides for degraded or weakened steel, but not molten steel. Even the quoted Civil Engineering Magazine does not address this point.

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
RenegadeRick said:
SDH:

Thank you for your time, but you are not answering the question I have asked. I have asked about molten steel in absence of the required heat and/or pressure as I have provided evidence for earlier in this thread.

If you cannot confirm or refute the figures for metal temperatures specified in the article I understand. Perhaps this is not within your realm of expertise.

Your refutation of a single point in the paper does not invalidate it in its entirety, and in any case it provides for degraded or weakened steel, but not molten steel. Even the quoted Civil Engineering Magazine does not address this point.
The molten metal dripping from the building?
Was it steel? The article assumed it steel? Could have it been Al from the plane? Metled metal from offcie equipment (file cabinets) That stuff melts easy. I melted a AL can in a camp fire in under a hour.

from the same magazine article:
"At the 80th floor of WTC 2—in the northeast corner, where office furnishings had been deposited by the rapid path of the plane—the fire burns at such a high temperature that a stream of molten metal begins to pour over the side of the tower. The heat output from these fires will later be estimated to have been comparable to that produced by a large nuclear generating station. Over a period of many minutes, this heat induces additional stresses on the damaged structural frames while simultaneously softening and weakening these frames. "

Melted steel in the clean up picture:
Fire, fuel source (gas lines and O2 from subway tunnels) and confined space are the ingredients of a furnace! Not to mention the additional pressure and the time it took to get to those levels. The ground was even hot.

The collapse was a result of a sum of the forces.

RenegadeRick

SDH said:
The molten metal dripping from the building?
Was it steel? The article assumed it steel? Could have it been Al from the plane? Metled metal from offcie equipment (file cabinets) That stuff melts easy. I melted a AL can in a camp fire in under a hour.
The article specifically discusses how it could not have been anything but steel or iron. It specifically states how it could not be AL, and contains photographs of experiments with molten AL in comparison to molten steel.

SDH said:
from the same magazine article:
"At the 80th floor of WTC 2—in the northeast corner, where office furnishings had been deposited by the rapid path of the plane—the fire burns at such a high temperature that a stream of molten metal begins to pour over the side of the tower. The heat output from these fires will later be estimated to have been comparable to that produced by a large nuclear generating station. Over a period of many minutes, this heat induces additional stresses on the damaged structural frames while simultaneously softening and weakening these frames. "
So your article mentions molten metal dripping from the WTC as well. The heat of a nuclear generating station sounds impressively high, but some quick research reveals this to not be the case. This article http://www.nuc.berkeley.edu/thyd/ne161/rahmed/coolants.html, and many others like it describe the temperatures of various coolants used in reactors. None of which are near the required temperatures to melt steel.

SDH said:
Melted steel in the clean up picture:
Fire, fuel source (gas lines and O2 from subway tunnels) and confined space are the ingredients of a furnace! Not to mention the additional pressure and the time it took to get to those levels. The ground was even hot.
No disagreement here. I find this extremely plausible.

SDH said:
The collapse was a result of a sum of the forces.
Obvious, but irrelevant. I haven't been asking about the collapse (yet) :rolleyes:

Again, thank you for taking the time to review this evidence. Anything you could lend on what kind of metal may have been flowing from the WTC prior to collapse would be appreciated.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
RenegadeRick said:

Thanks.
i will quote the ancient philosopher maddox (and a distant mechanics of materials class i took) on the topic of metal yield and ultimate strength VS temperature.

am not aware of what of what exact alloy was used on the twin towers, but the temperature vs strength loss is something you cant escape. then you have the initial impact, which i guesstimate could be enough to bring inmediate areas beyond the yield point.
i´d guess you dont need as much heat as you´d initially think, since the standing2rubble transition isnt on-off. so it isnt a far fetched idea.
but changleen is a materials engineer i think, he could probably find what the alloy was and a strength VS temperature plot....

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
This is from the NIST report itself:

E.3.6 Fire Exposure and Temperatures Reached by the Steel

The pre-collapse photographic analysis showed that 16 recovered exterior panels were exposed to fire
prior to collapse of WTC 1. None of the nine recovered panels from within the fire floors of WTC 2 were
observed to have been directly exposed.

NIST developed a method to characterize maximum temperatures experienced by steel members using
observations of paint cracking due to thermal expansion. The method can only probe the temperature
reached; it cannot distinguish between pre- and post-collapse exposure. More than 170 areas were
examined on the perimeter column panels; however, these columns represented only 3 percent of the
perimeter columns on the floors involved in fire and cannot be considered representative of other columns
on these floors. Only three locations had evidence that the steel reached temperatures above 250 °C.
These areas were:

• WTC 1, east face, floor 98, column 210, inner web,
• WTC 1, east face, floor 92, column 236, inner web,
• WTC 1, north face, floor 98, column 143, floor truss connector

Other forensic evidence indicates that the last example probably occurred in the debris pile after collapse.
Annealing studies on recovered steels established the set of time and temperature conditions necessary to
alter the steel microstructure. Based on the pre-collapse photographic evidence, the microstructures of
steels known to have been exposed to fire were characterized. These microstructures show no evidence
of exposure to temperatures above 600 °C for any significant time.
The yield strengths of the perimeter column steels generally exceeded their specified minimums by
10 percent to 15 percent. The tensile properties of the perimeter columns are consistent with literature
estimates for average properties of construction steel plate during the WTC construction era. The number
of occurrences of plates with tensile properties at or slightly below the specified minimum is consistent
with the historical variability of steel strength.

The yield strengths of steels in the core columns, with a few exceptions, exceeded the specified minimum.
The yield strengths of some wide-flange shapes were lower than called for in the specifications but, as
stated above, this probably arose from a combination of mechanical damage that removed the yield point,
differences between the NIST and original mill test report testing protocols, and variability within a heat
of steel relative to the ASTM International (ASTM) specified test location. Regardless of the source, the
observed distributions are accounted for in the typical design factor of safety for allowable stress design.

The yield strengths of undamaged steels in the rolled core columns, however, were lower than the
historical literature indicates as typical.
The strength of the steel in the floor trusses was higher than called for in the original specifications. Many
of the truss steels that were specified as low strength A 36 were supplied as high-strength, low-alloy steels
with much higher strengths. Laclede Steel Company’s substitution of 50 ksi yield strength steel for A 36
in the lower chord of the trusses is expected to have provided significantly improved performance at high
temperature.

The limited tests on bolts indicate that their strengths were greater than the specified minimums, and they
were stronger than contemporaneous literature suggests as typical.

Limited tests on recovered welds and weld material indicated that their mechanical properties and
chemistry were consistent with their intended specifications.
No steel was recovered from WTC 7

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Sorry about the horrible formatting, it's a cut and paste from a pdf and I don't have time to clean it up right now.

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
Deformed steel is weaker than non deformed steel.

To put that in bike perspective...........
Ever notice that once you bend your rear (steel) derail hanger it seems to bend much easier the next time? In engineering terms you have degraded the steel so it becomes less resistant to the same amount of load. Now do the same experiment, and heat the steel (even at 250deg) and see how easy it becomes to bend.

The other point I thought about is eccentric vs noneccentric loading.
Take a small bendable stick or maybe a straw put it between your 2 index fingers and push. Record the force it took to bend it. Now, bend the straw a little bit, and apply the same load as before, does it bend easier?

Back to WTC, deform the steel from its original state due to a massive collision load,(steel is now bent like the straw) add some fire (even though not much) but then add more load to the members b/c you have tons of airplane debris that was not there seconds before hand, let it site there for an hour or so and down comes London bridge.

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
RenegadeRick said:
Bending will decrease strength, but it can't lower the melting temperature!
but remember the law of force is cummulative......

Bending (decrease of strength) + heat (decrease of strength) = degraded steel, now add increased load from plane debris

RenegadeRick

SDH said:
...b/c you have tons of airplane debris...
In an earlier post you mentioned "10 tons of airplane" which sounds like a lot, but since a ton is 2000 lbs and the average American weighs 200 pounds that would only be the weight of 100 people (20000/200=100)!

I did some more research and a 757 actually weighs 110 tons! So this is really more like the weight of over 1000 people, plus the weight of the passengers, luggage, etc.

I had no trouble believing that a floor could support 100 people, but thousands? hmmm...

So could the weight of the aircraft contribute to the collapse? Sure.
But it still can't explain the molten steel...

SDH

I'm normal
Oct 2, 2001
Northern Va.
RenegadeRick said:
Are you suggesting bent steel melts more easily than unbent steel?
What I do have a problem with is some dude seeing melted metal in a picture and make a judgement on a picture based on color. This seems very subjective to me. There seems like there can be many variables surrounding this like quality of pictures (b/c pictures can distort color, like the color of bicyle frames) pure melted steel vs metal with other impurities in it etc.