Quantcast

WTF Georgia?!?

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Someone needs to beat these kids parents and teachers. How people can let this ignorant, backwoods, bullsh!t occur in this day and age is beyond me.

What they need to do is take it away from them altogether, and teach them having a prom is a priveledge and not a right.

Georgians Plan Whites-Only Prom Party
Thu May 1, 2:21 PM ET
By ELLIOTT MINOR, Associated Press Writer

ALBANY, Ga. - A year after holding their first integrated prom, some students at Taylor County High School have decided to again hold a separate, private party for whites only.

While many whites say they still plan to attend next week's integrated prom, the decision to hold the whites-only prom this Friday saddened senior Gerica McCrary, who helped organize last year's dance.

"I cried," said McCrary, who is black. "The black juniors said, 'Our prom is open to everyone. If you want to come, come.'"

Juniors are in charge of planning the prom each year and last year they decided to have just one dance — the first integrated prom in 31 years in the rural Georgia county 150 miles south of Atlanta.

Until then, parents and students organized separate proms for whites and blacks after school officials stopped sponsoring dances, in part because they wanted to avoid problems arising from interracial dating. -- WTF?!? These ignorant motherfvckers need to be taught a lesson in humanity...

This year, a small number of white juniors decided they wanted a separate prom.

"They influenced the others," said McCrary, who plans to major in biology at Columbus State University. "They didn't vote on anything. They said, 'This is what we're going to do.'"

The school has 439 students, 232 of them black. McCrary and a white friend passed out fliers informing students of all races that they would be welcome at the May 9 prom at nearby Fort Valley State University.

The private prom is Friday night 50 miles away in Columbus.

Erin Posey, a white senior, said the entire junior class joined together in hosting last year's prom, but this year's junior class wasn't as unified.

"I think a lot of seniors were disappointed," she said. "Now we have to choose between two groups of friends."

Posey plans to attend both proms.

"I had some white friends who were not going to the other (inclusive) prom," she said. "I wanted to have time with everybody. I'll have a lot of (black) friends there, too. A lot more of the seniors are going to be at the mixed one."

After school integration, separate proms were common in the rural South, but Taylor County was among the last to cling to the practice.

Glenda Latimore, a 1972 graduate, was in the first class to have separate black and white proms. Now her 16-year-old son, Gerard, is preparing for prom night.

As the black junior class president, her son helped organize the open-to-all prom. The class also has a white president.

"I would have liked to see it together this year," said Latimore, an outfielder on the school's baseball team. "My class would have, too. It just didn't happen this year."

Glenda Latimore said relatives in Philadelphia and New Jersey laugh when they read about Taylor County's prom. She said residents here are "nice and friendly," but they still have a problem with proms.

"It seems like it's something secret," she said. "The white people are afraid to speak up against the separation.

"But I went to a black prom and I had fun," she said. "It didn't kill me, so I tell my son, 'Just go to the prom and have fun. Don't come out hating anyone.'"

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
I guess it's not technically illegal becuase the prom parties are organized by students and do not take place in school, even though all the white kids from the school probaly attend.

The spirit of Reverend Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. needs to return from wherever he is and unload some montgomery bus boycott whupass.

MLK 2: No more Mr. nice guy

BTW, this would be a nice place for the government to step in and impose its politically correct morals. Those kids (and their parents) need "re-education" quick. Stalin-style.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
i know that area pretty well b/c i spent a large part of my childhood down there. my grandparents lived about 30/40 miles from there and well the entire area has the same mentality. it's really odd, it's like a time warp stepping back to the early part of the century. it's an extremely rural area, pretty large farms. you are either dirt poor or somewhere in the middle ground down there. not to many ppl down there have a large amount of money. you would think that after all this time things would have changed, and things have to a tiny degree, however not much has. the true hatred still goes on down there, and for the most part it's both ways. i'll repeat that, for the MOST part. the fact that there are enough white kids in the school to hold their own prom really shocks me. most of the white parents in the southern georgia counties send their kids to private schools b/c generally their will be one high school for the entire county and they can't bear their child going to school w/ a black kid. it's extremely sad. i used to HATE going down there b/c of their mind frame for the most part. now don't get me wrong as in any area where stuff like this goes on there are a bunch of great ppl as well. i know this is a long ramble, and i know i've said that it's weird there but it really is. it's a complete dr. jeckle and hyde w/ a bunch of the folks down there. like to you and the majority of the black population they are completely nice to you while they are around you and in your face but when you aren't around alllllll sorts of hell is thrown at you by them.

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by indieboy
i know that area pretty well b/c i spent a large part of my childhood down there. my grandparents lived about 30/40 miles from there and well the entire area has the same mentality. it's really odd, it's like a time warp stepping back to the early part of the century. it's an extremely rural area, pretty large farms. you are either dirt poor or somewhere in the middle ground down there. not to many ppl down there have a large amount of money. you would think that after all this time things would have changed, and things have to a tiny degree, however not much has. the true hatred still goes on down there, and for the most part it's both ways. i'll repeat that, for the MOST part. the fact that there are enough white kids in the school to hold their own prom really shocks me. most of the white parents in the southern georgia counties send their kids to private schools b/c generally their will be one high school for the entire county and they can't bear their child going to school w/ a black kid. it's extremely sad. i used to HATE going down there b/c of their mind frame for the most part. now don't get me wrong as in any area where stuff like this goes on there are a bunch of great ppl as well. i know this is a long ramble, and i know i've said that it's weird there but it really is. it's a complete dr. jeckle and hyde w/ a bunch of the folks down there. like to you and the majority of the black population they are completely nice to you while they are around you and in your face but when you aren't around alllllll sorts of hell is thrown at you by them.
It's interesting to hear you say that because I spent some time in South Africa 13 years ago while it was still white run and I found the whites there (especially the Afrikaaners who are largely rural and relatively poor people) to have a similar kind of mindset. You'd have to call it two-faced if you were being honest. These people are in complete denial of reality and some of the vile rubbish that spews forth from them would make your hair curl. But hospitality wise they are very generous and kind and if you can steer the conversation away from certain topics usually very good company. Always fascinated me this mindless bigotry and intolerance some people have.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by valve bouncer
It's interesting to hear you say that because I spent some time in South Africa 13 years ago while it was still white run and I found the whites there (especially the Afrikaaners who are largely rural and relatively poor people) to have a similar kind of mindset. You'd have to call it two-faced if you were being honest. These people are in complete denial of reality and some of the vile rubbish that spews forth from them would make your hair curl. But hospitality wise they are very generous and kind and if you can steer the conversation away from certain topics usually very good company. Always fascinated me this mindless bigotry and intolerance some people have.
that's exactly what it's like. it's really, really odd. it made me sick to my stomach in some cases and when i was younger i was very confrontational(sp?) so i spoke out highly against it which is another thing that is completely frowned upon for the most part by traditional southern ways.

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
oh that article can't be from albany now that i read the entire thing, taylor county isn't that far south. taylor county is not to far below macon.

Tenchiro

Attention K Mart Shoppers
Jul 19, 2002
New England
Originally posted by Silver
This wouldn't even be an issue if we had elected Strom Thurmond president.

I'll be here all week. Try the veal.
Strom Thurmond would have been president in like 1812 right?

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
Originally posted by indieboy
that's exactly what it's like. it's really, really odd. it made me sick to my stomach in some cases and when i was younger i was very confrontational(sp?) so i spoke out highly against it which is another thing that is completely frowned upon for the most part by traditional southern ways.
Mate good on ya for taking them to task. Would have taken some gonads for sure but these crew have got to know in no uncertain fashion that what they stand for and believe (regarding racial issues) is unacceptable and won't be tolerated.
Thumbs up my man:D :D :thumb: :thumb:

indieboy

Want fries with that?
Jan 4, 2002
atlanta
Originally posted by Silver
This wouldn't even be an issue if we had elected Strom Thurmond president.

I'll be here all week. Try the veal.
oh man you have no clue how up in arms they are down here about that......still......

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
This blows my mind and I am from South Carolina.
I just don't understand how those people can be that
azz backwards. I grew up in Spartanburg and it was just not
like that around here. I don't know what else to say. That is horrible. I do agree, maybe a governmental boot in the cheeks is what is needed.:confused:

laura

DH_Laura
Jul 16, 2002
Glitter Gulch
i dont know about any of you but at the university i go to for every student assosiation there is a black student assosiation. and these are school sponsorred.

i say if the kids want a white prom let them have a white prom. they are going to be racist no matter what and the govn coming in and telling them they cant do it is just going to make them more mad and bitter towards anyone who isnt white.

it is a sad situation but racism is so alive and well today everywhere, not just in the rural south. until we can get some actuall dialogue going about the problem and not just the normal "bring the govn in to make them behave" nothing will change.

no body wants any body telling them what to do.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Originally posted by laura
i dont know about any of you but at the university i go to for every student assosiation there is a black student assosiation. and these are school sponsorred.

i say if the kids want a white prom let them have a white prom. they are going to be racist no matter what and the govn coming in and telling them they cant do it is just going to make them more mad and bitter towards anyone who isnt white.

it is a sad situation but racism is so alive and well today everywhere, not just in the rural south. until we can get some actuall dialogue going about the problem and not just the normal "bring the govn in to make them behave" nothing will change.

no body wants any body telling them what to do.
agreed...to an extent.

I HATE: ignorant people that hate/discriminate based on heritage
I HATE: anyone that thinks they're owed some outstanding debt because of what happened to their great,great grandparents.

so to sum up: i hate rednecks and militant "civil rights" groups. they're all one in the same to me......but i think i hate rednecks a little more.

the security guards in my building are "good 'ole boys". today, while they were logging me into work, a black femal left w/out signing out (common practice on weekends). so they asked me if i knew her name. i said "no". they said, "well, i guess SAM BO will do...or how about CHICKEN BO"....laughing and looking to me for approval. i was nearly sick. just because i'm fair skinned and red headed i'm supposed to join in with their racists banter?! needless to say, i reported them:D

indie- i know how you feel, being stuck in a bassackwards society myself. i've had several "altercations" over my "rednecks are dumb" sticker. seems these folks don't like the defamation of the confederate flag too much:D

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by manimal
I HATE: anyone that thinks they're owed some outstanding debt because of what happened to their great,great grandparents.
How do you feel about indigenous people who have been dispossessed and disenfranchised by force?

After how many generations do they no longer have a legitimate beef?

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
Originally posted by MMike
I still blame the spics and the whops for racism....
Two one-line flame-bait posts in one thread with a spelling or grammatical error in each and still no bites?

You're losing your touch MMike.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
Originally posted by fluff
How do you feel about indigenous people who have been dispossessed and disenfranchised by force?

After how many generations do they no longer have a legitimate beef?
I could be considered one of them. as a member of the cherokee tribe (yeah...the only freckled, red-headed member) i have a really hard time stomaching some arrogant white dude talking about how we need tighter border restrictions to keep those "foreigners" out.

"After how many generations do they have a legitimate beef?"

well, there really is no way to set a "statute of limitations" on something like that, but, remaining a victim simply because you can is pretty pathetic in my book. everyone has the opportunity to excel in one way or another, some just have to work a little harder to get it.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
The school has 439 students, 232 of them black. McCrary and a white friend passed out fliers informing students of all races that they would be welcome at the May 9 prom at nearby Fort Valley State University.
That's my favorite part :D

Umm, heeellllllooooo. Whitey, you know you're out numbered, right? ;) :D