Quantcast

WWU at collegiate nats

Tapps

Chimp
Oct 18, 2007
So if you check out www.pinkbike.com I wrote my first story for them about myself and WWU at collegiate nats this year.

The team was super strong this year with almost everyone that went podiuming at one point or another. If we took more racers we would have done better overall... 6th was still not bad, but maybe next year.

-Leana

Tapps

Chimp
Oct 18, 2007
Sorry I have to "toot my own horn" it's called publicity and for those of us without managers, we have to promote ourselves, as cocky as that sounds.
I'm a marketing student not an english major so I'm pretty sure there are heaps of gramatical and spelling errors, my bad.

But ya collegiate cycling is huge. The first school I went to Fort Lewis in Durango, Colorado has the best team and there are colleges that even offer scholarships. WWU is the best team in the northwest. Most schools have cycling clubs, which means you can compete at the collegiate level.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
Hey, congrats Leana and everyone!

Yeah WWU's team has been very active for a number of years. I was really hoping my son had followed through with signing on with the DH team while he was attending; but he never was bitten by the competitive bug hard like I was.

He was a Marketing major too; just graduated from Western this year. Hey, keep working on the writing; it is going to be one of your most valuable assets to hone. Trust me.

bockner

Monkey
Jun 21, 2005
bellevue, wa
spelling aside you are doign a great job of self promotion and I am sure you will land with some event coordinator or bike manu post graduation and continue riding and promoting (just dont say "podiuming" in the interview :) )

Tapps

Chimp
Oct 18, 2007
Keep in mind scholarships have nothing to do with academics for racing and it is based purely on results at large events. Pretty much you just need to know what schools offer them (FLC, Lindsey Wilson, Lees Mcrae and a few others mainly in po dank towns) In other words I got offered a scholarship freshman year after winning norba nationals and it was only $500 so don't plan on paying for your tuition with racing.
Like I said pretty much every school has a team or you can make one once you get there, it's not hard to do.

WBC

Monkey
Aug 8, 2003
PNW
You need hella good grades to get into WWU if you don't have a bunch of extra curriculars. I know a lot of people that were declined by WWU that were admitted into the U and vice versa. What it came down to for me is, I have been paying my own way since I was 14 and managed to still get a 3.1 through high school taking all the most challenging classes I could. I also had a relatively high SAT score, so they knew the potential was there. The U on the other hand rejected me (though they later offered me admission on the second round).

What it comes down to is: WWU takes a hard look at what you've been up to outside of school, whereas the U is all about the numbers. If you get **** done, WWU isn't hard to get into. If you're a bookworm, or someone that gets good grades but doesn't get **** done, it's a bit tougher. Certainly not unattainable, though. I mean, I blacked out every night in high school and I still got to it.

And yes, the cycling team kicks ass. The men on our team raced only twice in their lives before this, Chris was on a complete POS bike, and they still cleaned up. This season, there's no doubt we'll be unstoppable. Not just because of more experience, but also because of some new talent. We also got a nice deal with a very highly regarded bike company for the coming season(s). Anyone at WWU that's thinking about it, you should do it.