Quantcast

X.7 problem!

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
Hey,

So, I just back from an hour or so of jumping, and I had a rear derailleur issue. Being that I haven't jumped in a couple weeks, the jumps were freshly reshaped, and I'm a little bit of a hack on jumps, I was having a rough time judging my speed for the first set. I nailed it a bunch of times, and then on one run I overshot it by a tiny bit and was also a little nose heavy. My front wheel came down fine, but my back wheel slammed down extra hard for some reason even though I didn't case the jump. My wheel was fine, but my rear derailleur is trashed. Somehow, the downward force of me landing pulled it downwards and inwards without bending my hanger. So now I have a derailleur with a cage that is twisted by about a quarter to a half inch into my spokes. Has anyone else had this issue? I really can't understand how it happened, I'm starting to think that the metal was just fatigued from being bounced around so much on the hardtail and also from when I case jumps :poster_oops:

Secondly, now I need to find a new rear derailleur. I'm cheap, so I'm thinking I might use a long cage XO that is hanging off of an old partially dissected XC in my garage. Is there any reason for me to steer away from the long cage and by a short cage X.9 or something?

muddy beast

Turbo Monkey
Nov 26, 2005
personally I would just take the x0 and use it till it breaks. I mean, if you want to be cheap, and you already have an X0 you dont need anymore, why not, right?

As to your problem, sorry, I have no idea how that happend.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
which jump was this on? ya just get it up and running. im hit them up tomrrow after school
this was just on the first small one, i don't know what the hell i did, the landing was rough because of my positioning but not THAT rough. i think the derailleur was just ready to die. i'm going to my dad's later this week to grab the derailleur, then I'll have the XO on there until I can pick up a super short cage X.9. i rode the jumps today and yesterday, the deraillleur made for some skipping while pedaling down the run in but otherwise it was alright, i didn't case or have any hard landings at all today and i'm starting to get my whips together again, first time since whistler. you guys need to reconfigure that second jump you hit right before you land kind of where the berm is. the one that you're supposed to hit, the right side, could be one of the weirdest feeling jumps i've ever ridden. i didn't have my shovel with me either day, but it needs to be reshaped.

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
single speed.
if only....i hate derailleurs so much but i need it for slalom and 4X, things that the bike really works best for. a bmx is on my list of things to get right now, i'm craving simplicity but i can't afford to have a second hardtail. my goal is to have something like a morewood ndiza as my slalom/4X/fun/dj bike and then a singlespeed steel hardtail for jumping and street, but that'll be happening in 3-5 years unfortunately unless my yeti has an unexpected issue.

bent^biker

Turbo Monkey
Feb 22, 2006
pdx
well your problem is that it is an x7, they just suck. I had a buddy bend three (or four, can't remember) of them from normal riding. not to the extent that you say yours is but just enough that his shifting was always effed. anyway, I would run what you've got or if your scared of long cage, get a short cage shimano LX for $35

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i'm just getting the long cage on there later this week. no way i'm going with sh*tmano, i hate their rear derailleurs.