Quantcast

X.9 - what the heck?

Rob Munro

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
just got my new Sunday Team yesterday and I noticed this...

those black pieces where the chain routes through are plastic!? what gives?

oldskoolbiker

Monkey
Aug 19, 2005
Alexandria, VA
Yeah the 2007 X9 short cage is plastic. It's supposed to be strong, but a friend of mine broke his the first day he had it. He swapped to the medium cage with the aluminum cage and been running it ever since.

Guess you'll see how long it lasts for you, and if it breaks soon just "upgrade" to the medium cage.

Rob Munro

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
thanks for the info. I've got a mostly busted x.9 medium cage in my parts bucket. how hard is it to swap out those parts?

Sorgie

Monkey
May 20, 2005
Rochester
I've been using the short cage for almost a year now. Snow, ice, road salt, mud, tree branches, rocks... not a single problem. It seems pretty strong.

Rob Munro

Monkey
Jul 22, 2005
Sorgie...that's good to hear. As long as it works and is strong I guess I'm fine with it. It just seemed cheap to me at first.

davep

Turbo Monkey
Jan 7, 2005
seattle
It is carbon reinforced (filled) thermoplastic. It is actually quite hi-tech and shoud be as strong and less prone to failure due to surface scratches than what you would normaly think of as carbon (epoxy and woven fiber).

Anyone remember graphite tuff wheels frome back in the day?? Same kind of stuff. Google 'Zytel' for more info.