Quantcast

X-Fusion Vector HLR Coil

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Fellas

Here is a video I shot this weekend while testing my new Vector HLR Coil

Pretty damn impressive shock, much better than anything else I've tried so far (I need to get my hands on a CCDB and a RC4 to compare). Every click of the adjusters make a significant difference.

[video]http://www.pinkbike.com/video/235382/[/video]

Sorry for the blurry video at the end, it began to rain a bit.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Cool vid, nice and geeky action! You make it look good with the camera!

I'm totally in love with my Vector HLR coil too! I'm not gonna diss the CCDB, it is excellent as well. Especially for pure muddy rooty DH. Just a little soft while pedaling. I find the Vector pedals better so i'm faster on it, and it's easier to tune. It's hard to say which has better action, they're both great and feel different. I've had mine for a full year with zero reliability issues.

go-ride.com

Monkey
Oct 23, 2001
Salt Lake City, UT
I've also been really impressed with the Vector HLR. I ran one on my Turner DW DHR most of this year. It was my favorite shock on that bike out of many. I'm looking forward to trying the air version real soon.

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Interesting thread. It's cool to see more companys with reliable products in the game:thumb:
Is anyone running a HLR on a Session? I'm on a '09 Session (DHX 5.0) and looking eventually for a new shock.

PJivan

Monkey
Aug 27, 2006
Dublin, Ireland
Pepi suspension center knows enought to not fall in a so simply mistake...if they did it they where in bad faith 4 sure...

p.s. no one can help me with my previous question? :(

allen

Chimp
Mar 25, 2012
NJ
I've been running the vector HLR on my 6pt than swapped it over to my 7pt. I've had it for about 2 seasons and its going strong with no complaints. The shock is super easy to set up and as someone said before the adjustments are effective when tuning.

AL

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Nice videos.

I just wonder, did they adjust all 3 shocks to have the same compression and rebound damping?
Pepi suspension center knows enought to not fall in a so simply mistake...if they did it they where in bad faith 4 sure...

p.s. no one can help me with my previous question? :(
The VAST majority of the heat generated by a damper comes from the actual damping process, ie passing oil through a small aperture at high pressure to convert kinetic energy into thermal energy. If the actual damping levels were the same for each shock (hard to compare due to the progressive nature of the RC4 for starters) for both compression and rebound, the same amount of heat energy would be generated per unit time (also assuming the test runs at exactly the same speed each time!). I don't believe that the Vector's body can actually dissipate heat twice as fast as the RC4 or CCDB if it's actually producing the same amount to begin with - it would seem more likely that there are errors in the testing procedure, such as not actually having identical damping rates in compression/rebound, or measuring temperature in a part of the shock that is not representative of true oil temperature, keeping in mind that almost all the CCDB's damping occurs through the reservoir bridge, while the Vector and the RC4 share compression duties between main piston and bridge, and have the rebound damping occurring at the main piston only (vs reservoir bridge only on the CCDB). Especially at the speeds at play in this test, I cannot see seal drag/piston drag creating any significant difference in temperature - if you play with those with the shock depressurised and only a bit of oil in there for lubrication, you can see how little friction there actually is on any shock.

No disrespect to whoever conducted the test, because it's very hard to accurately match damping curves between position-sensitive and position-independent shocks, but depending on how they're calculating average damping rates for each stroke, it seems highly likely that the damping rates aren't actually quite the same.

If anyone in or visiting Whistler wants to drop me in a Vector and/or a current spec CCDB, I'd be happy to replicate the test.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
The VAST majority of the heat generated by a damper comes from the actual damping process, ie passing oil through a small aperture at high pressure to convert kinetic energy into thermal energy. If the actual damping levels were the same for each shock (hard to compare due to the progressive nature of the RC4 for starters) for both compression and rebound, the same amount of heat energy would be generated per unit time (also assuming the test runs at exactly the same speed each time!). I don't believe that the Vector's body can actually dissipate heat twice as fast as the RC4 or CCDB if it's actually producing the same amount to begin with - it would seem more likely that there are errors in the testing procedure, such as not actually having identical damping rates in compression/rebound, or measuring temperature in a part of the shock that is not representative of true oil temperature, keeping in mind that almost all the CCDB's damping occurs through the reservoir bridge, while the Vector and the RC4 share compression duties between main piston and bridge, and have the rebound damping occurring at the main piston only (vs reservoir bridge only on the CCDB). Especially at the speeds at play in this test, I cannot see seal drag/piston drag creating any significant difference in temperature - if you play with those with the shock depressurised and only a bit of oil in there for lubrication, you can see how little friction there actually is on any shock.

No disrespect to whoever conducted the test, because it's very hard to accurately match damping curves between position-sensitive and position-independent shocks, but depending on how they're calculating average damping rates for each stroke, it seems highly likely that the damping rates aren't actually quite the same.

If anyone in or visiting Whistler wants to drop me in a Vector and/or a current spec CCDB, I'd be happy to replicate the test.
Yea, pretty difficult to make all three shocks develop the same damping forces. Anyways I emailed them about the test, we'll see what they have to say.

Btw, are you working on Vorsprung? Best of luck on the suspension business!! Next time I visit Whistler I'll buy you guys a beer and maybe we can chat about suspension!

Steve M

Turbo Monkey
Mar 3, 2007
Whistler
Yea, pretty difficult to make all three shocks develop the same damping forces. Anyways I emailed them about the test, we'll see what they have to say.

Btw, are you working on Vorsprung? Best of luck on the suspension business!! Next time I visit Whistler I'll buy you guys a beer and maybe we can chat about suspension!
Yep, Vorsprung Suspension is my project, officially launched as of yesterday, providing custom tuning and servicing locally in Whistler. Always down for a chinwag about suspension, hit me up when you're up here :) steve at vorsprungsuspension dot com will get me!

Mo(n)arch

Turbo Monkey
Dec 27, 2010
Italy/south Tyrol
Good luck on the businness, Steve! I hope you keep helping us via the monkey!

Is it possible to get different tunes of the shock to suit different leverage curves?
I'm thinking to upgrade the rear of my Session 88 (DHX 5.0) with something decent.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
Good luck on the businness, Steve! I hope you keep helping us via the monkey!

Is it possible to get different tunes of the shock to suit different leverage curves?
I'm thinking to upgrade the rear of my Session 88 (DHX 5.0) with something decent.
When you order from X-Fusion directly, you can get one of 5 different tunes for the Vector for 50 bucks. Stock tune is excellent though.

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
BTW I talked to Pepi about that test, he set all three shocks with compression and rebound adjusters full open. so the tests don't prove anything at all.

From the conversations we had it seems he knows quite a bit about suspension so I guess it was more of a "lets see what happens just for giggles" rather than a methodical comparative test.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
BUMP

I'm looking at a good deal on a take off Vector HLR; I heard there may be some durability issues?

Straighten me out, should I grab it? I just blew the PUSH'd Vivid on my v10c, and have a brande new loaner Vivid R2C Air (which I may wind up buying), looking to try some more shocks -- any opinions on these for V10c? I hear good things in general.

Last edited:

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
I am considering swapping my CCDB air for a coil shock on my park bike. A coil shock would match better the mildly progressive LR http://linkagedesign.blogspot.se/2011/09/canyon-torque-frx-2012.html?m=1

I don't really have the money for top of the line shocks like DHX2, CCDB coil or Öhlins and wonder how the Vector stands against the Vivid in term of performance, reliability and ease of service. Here in Europe, the vivid can be found 25% cheaper than the Vector.

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
I don't really have the money for top of the line shocks like DHX2, CCDB coil or Öhlins and wonder how the Vector stands against the Vivid in term of performance, reliability and ease of service. Here in Europe, the vivid can be found 25% cheaper than the Vector.
The Vivid is a terrible shock and any service center will tell you the same thing - they tend to develop multiple issues that are not isolated to one area of the shock, occasionally you get a good one but mostly they are a pain. Based on this I think almost any other shock is going to be better.

If you can find a 2015 RC4 (small shaft - 1/2" diameter) within your budget and in correct size, it's probably one of the best choices - and pricing has come down a bit with newer shocks out now. I rate this shock very highly.

Otherwise, something like the Vector or DSP will probably work fine too.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
What's the size of the shock? I have a 8.5x2.5 DHX Avalanche SSD in a drawer somewhere, but it may need re-shimming for your weight and frame.

Happymtb.fr

Turbo Monkey
Feb 9, 2016
SWE
The Vivid is a terrible shock and any service center will tell you the same thing - they tend to develop multiple issues that are not isolated to one area of the shock, occasionally you get a good one but mostly they are a pain. Based on this I think almost any other shock is going to be better.

If you can find a 2015 RC4 (small shaft - 1/2" diameter) within your budget and in correct size, it's probably one of the best choices - and pricing has come down a bit with newer shocks out now. I rate this shock very highly.

Otherwise, something like the Vector or DSP will probably work fine too.
Ok thanks! I'm glad I asked :)
I will check availability for a RC4. I didn't knew about DSP...

What's the size of the shock? I have a 8.5x2.5 DHX Avalanche SSD in a drawer somewhere, but it may need re-shimming for your weight and frame.
The shock is 240x76 which is 9.5x3, but thanks!

tacubaya

Monkey
Dec 19, 2009
Mexico City
I'd rate the Vector over the Vivid, it's just a very reliable shock that works very well.

Steer away from the Vector Air though, air spring is crap and the wiper doesn't do shit.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
I asked those bastids if their shock would fit my 2010 Reign frame. Crickets. I may still buy one. :)

Anybody have the dimensions of the spring required for the Vector coil? I have a nice Ti spring... wondering if it'll workee.

bengxe

Monkey
Dec 19, 2011
upstate NY
I asked those bastids if their shock would fit my 2010 Reign frame. Crickets. I may still buy one. :)

Anybody have the dimensions of the spring required for the Vector coil? I have a nice Ti spring... wondering if it'll workee.
I can tell you the vector air fits the 2010 reign x with no problems.
Springs are the same diameter as fox.