Quantcast

X-post Gnome nappiing, tonight at 10

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
posted in the lounge:

This is from 2000, but that same thing happened in the last week with different results.

Local News: Monday, July 17, 2000

Gnomeowner riled by prank

Louis T. Corsaletti
Seattle Times Eastside bureau

The odyssey of a Bothell gnome is over, but the owner isn't very happy.

The concrete lawn ornament was stolen from the back yard of her Canyon Park home a few months ago. She dismissed it as a practical joke.

But on June 5 the apparent prank took a new twist when an envelope arrived in the mail for her 5-year-old son. Inside was a handwritten note:

"I am writing to you because your gnome can't read or write. Several of us garden gnomes have left for a summer vacation trip. Please tell your dad, mom and dog not to worry. I'll try and write or send a postcard. We will be back in 2 or 3 weeks. Love, Mr. Wigglesworth."

Last Tuesday, the woman found the roving gnome on her front porch, with a Mickey Mouse hat on and her son's name embroidered on the back of the hat.

A photo album was next to the statue and inside was a copy of the letter she had received and 14 photos of the gnome in various locations throughout the Southwest.

One photo showed a man holding the gnome in front of his face and standing behind a sign. The sign said, "Welcome to New Mexico." Other photos were taken in Arizona, national parks in California and at campgrounds.

Bothell police Officer Dione Thompson talked to a neighbor, who admitted to the gnome-napping.

The woman told Thompson she wants the gnome and hat destroyed but will keep the album.

"The incident caused grief for our family," the woman said. "We feared an unknown stalker might be targeting our son. It was fearful."

The woman and her husband declined to file charges against the 30-year-old neighbor.
Related story had the same thing happen ....owners (older lady and her husband) didn't notice it gone. The gnome was returned with a photo album of it's journey. THe lady wasn't mad. She said it looked like fun and next time the gnome-napper should kidnapp them as they could use a vacation like he showed the gnome.

I couldn't find the recent story online but the similairities are amazing....but with different outcomes. To funny.

RhinofromWA

Brevity R Us
Aug 16, 2001
Lynnwood, WA
cove rider said:
who would spend the money to go to all those places with that gnome just to take pictures put them in a book and take the gnome back to the owner
I think it is a side project for an already planned trip. It is just something fun to do while the person is traveling.