Quantcast

x-post: Why don't people like Manitou forks?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
I've been playing with the idea of upgrading my fork. I've got a very bottom of the line, 3 year old Manitou SX-E fork (80mm) that has peformed and held up very well. I only ride about twice a week, but I push the fork pretty hard. I've been very happy with it.

I was flipping through my Jensen catalog last night comparing forks. I was looking in the 120-130mm range. I was comparing the dirtjumpers to the manitou blacks and shermans. I realize the black forks may not be at the top of the technoligical food chain, but the 03 sport fork specs in at 4.1lbs, is adjustable between 100 and 125mm, and is on sale for $199. That's 1.5lbs lighter than a dirtjumper, and $300 cheaper.

For a weekend aggressive XCer, why wouldn't I choose the black?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I have an '02 Black and an '02 Mars. When I first got the MARS I thought it was a decent fork, then I got my Superlight with a Fox Float. I can not ride the MARS anymore, compared to the FOX it just feels rough over the small stuff and bottoms on thd big stuff. Same with the Black, I can not put my finger on it but it just does not feel right, especially when compared to other forks on the market. If you ever have to work on your fork you will be frustrated with the plastic parts, no using a crescent wrench or a 12 point socket, you need to buy the right size 6 point socket or you will tear up the plastic parts.

I use my Black for heavy duty XC riding, it is not that bad of a fork but there are much better forks out there. You would be better off if you can get the newer models with the TPC+ damping. If you can get a killer deal on one go for it, if not I would recommend a Fox.

D_D

Monkey
Dec 16, 2001
UK
There is quite a lot of height difference between an 80 and 130mm fork and it will make the bike ride differently. I don't like forks with more than 100mm on rigid frames but it is personal preference.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Originally posted by jacksonpt
I've been playing with the idea of upgrading my fork. I've got a very bottom of the line, 3 year old Manitou SX-E fork (80mm) that has peformed and held up very well. I only ride about twice a week, but I push the fork pretty hard. I've been very happy with it.

I was flipping through my Jensen catalog last night comparing forks. I was looking in the 120-130mm range. I was comparing the dirtjumpers to the manitou blacks and shermans. I realize the black forks may not be at the top of the technoligical food chain, but the 03 sport fork specs in at 4.1lbs, is adjustable between 100 and 125mm, and is on sale for $199. That's 1.5lbs lighter than a dirtjumper, and $300 cheaper.

For a weekend aggressive XCer, why wouldn't I choose the black?
Why are you comparing the Black to the dirtjumper (esp. if you're considering weight as a factor)? It's cheap, but it's not designed as a trail fork. It can serve as one, esp. if your 'trails' have big drops and jumps along the way, but the Z1 (SL version, perhaps) would be a better fork for the application... and if I were you, I'd probably be looking at a Marathon coil, if weight is figuring in to this at all.

For the weekend rider, I still think it's nice to have a fork that won't blow up damper carts, kill bushings in one ride, or spew oil out seals...if you're only getting to ride once or twice a week, it sucks if your bike is jacked up and you miss a day.

4 out of the 5 Shermans that my friends ride have done one or more of those 3 things. One did hold up for several months, the rest went immediately. All of them ride with sloppy bushings, because they get sloppy in ONE RIDE. Obviously, there are happy Sherman customers, but I've seen waaaay too many problems in my (frankly limited) experience with them...trends mean something.

MD

Drunken_Ninja

Turbo Monkey
Aug 25, 2002
Hangin' with Riggs and Mertah
the professionals that i consulted laughed at me when i asked if there was a suitable replacement for for a marzocchi.

MANIPOO is NOWHERE EVEN CLOSE.

that is all you need to know the guy says to me. there are no others than marzocchi.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
Well, look at me. I just slapped a Dorado SC on my freeride bike...an attempt to get a slightly lower/steeper geometry than the Super T was giving me, and a bit higher than I'd have gotten with my Shiver SC. We'll see how it holds out. I'm learning a little about the Dorados and why people have the problems they do...it seems you've just got to learn a new way of doing business with these forks. I'm also finding out that the oil rings often seen on the legs are from luricating oil that you add once a month...unlike Marzo, it's totally separate from the damping fluid. Simply change 10cc a month and you're done. Plus, the new seals (blatant Marzo imitations) hold the lube in better anyhow.

Yeah, you need to clean and top off the oil once in a while, but that's apparently it. I like the relatively clean, sealed innards.

I just hope the bushings hold up better than the Shermans'. It's a travesty that a company with as long experience as Manitou just can't get seals and bushings that will last from the outset with the Sherman. My buds who use Dorados haven't had much problem, though, so I'm hoping I won't either. The Dorados and the Shemans don't seem to be comprable animals.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Originally posted by RockTumbler
Manitou forks suck... just not plush... you ride anything else and compare them that way and you will fully understand.
Hmm. I've ridden pretty much everything out there. Apparently you haven't tried a Sherman Breakout.

DHS

Friendly Neighborhood Pool Boy
Apr 23, 2002
Sand, CA
i can't wait for my Minute 2 to show up. i have had problems with Manitou in the past, but SPV ROCKS!
i will never own a RockShox again though.
just me

zibbler

Monkey
Originally posted by Echo
Hmm. I've ridden pretty much everything out there. Apparently you haven't tried a Sherman Breakout.
My son has the Sherman Breakout on his new bike, and man that sucker is plush! He loves it. It's a hell of a lot nicer than the Psylo that the bike came with.