Quantcast

X prize won!

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
Evel Monkey said:
Very cool.

But is it still a "privateer" effort being back by the 3rd richest man in the US?

they didn't have his help till now.

scaled composites have some 20 employees. guys out of school
making a airplane to go to space, and doing a better job then the
whole world with 1/10 the cost!

knowing what it takes to make the aircrafts they did, i think they RULE! :thumb: :thumb:

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
That show was sweet last night! It was like American Chopper meets Battlestar Galactice. I almost crapped myself when they said that SS1 was the first private aircraft to break the speed of sound, and the first super-sonic aircraft to use manual flight controls sine the X-1 in 194x. 1947 maybe? And it did it all with a brand new guidance system built by one of the test pilots.
Sure it was funded by one of the worlds richest people, but I am willing to bet that NASA would have spent at least 100x what Paul Allen spent and probably not succeeded.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
there was one test flight, the first one to actually get in space, where
as he was going up, his navacation flickered then went off and he didn't abort.
WOW, that was exciting.
the onboard camera caught him hyperventalating like mad! he didn't know if he was going to make it back.
O, the joys of being a test pilot!

Zark

Hey little girl, do you want some candy?
Oct 18, 2001
Reno 911
xbluethunderx said:
Kinda, the British and French governments were both involved with the Concord, its sort of a stretch to call that private.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
This was a great program. Very very cool to see space flight being taken on by the private class. Seems like nobody cares about space so much, maybe we see so many movies we think we're farther along in exploration than we really are.... i personally hope that i could ride my mt. bike on the moon someday before i die. Paul Allen is the coolest rich dude of all time.

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
The Rutan's build some crazy aircraft. This is an Asymetrical Twin that he built for himself that overcomes the torque of it's engines and props thru asymetrical aerodynamics.

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
They said on NPR on the drive home that Allen mentioned the $10 million would partially offset the cost of making it happen. Still cool as heck and I applaude the effort.

wirly

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
San Diego
One of my riding buddies is a machinist for the company that builds the solid fuel rocket motors for that "plane". He has some coasters they made out of the solid fuel (basically just rubber). Funny to be protecting your table from rings with rocket fuel.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
ummbikes said:
They said on NPR on the drive home that Allen mentioned the $10 million would partially offset the cost of making it happen. Still cool as heck and I applaude the effort.
Somehow, I doubt he is worried. He isn't that far behind Bill Gates in terms of $. Billy is worth like $48B right now. If Johny boy is worth even a mere $36.5B, that would mean it would take him 10 years to be broke if he were burning $10M per day.

WHERE THE F* IS MY CUT???