Quantcast

X9 shift skipping

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
32-22 in front 11-34 in rear, limits in back are good. Just switched to a medium cage from a long cage and now when I switch to little ring and climbing gears Im getting skipping but Im good in big ring and fast gears. Am I missing something?

Chain shortened to big ring big ring plus two links.

Any ideas?

stumpjump

Monkey
Sep 14, 2007
DC
links are all good. Its more of an issue that the derail cog is slightly out of line with the cassette gear, however if I move it to fit the climbing gerars on the cassette, i lose the lower gears.

Also the hanger is not bent either.

v6 4.3

Monkey
Jan 22, 2005
this could be a few things and you cant count any of them out unless you know absolutely for sure. and that means check, even if you know its not that because you set it up yourself.

cable/ housing friction
bent hanger. even 2mm bent. (park DAG tool)
broken/ unseated ferruls
worn chain (chain checker)
worn cassette
bent derailleur

when you shift good in only half the cassette it usually means 1 or both of 2 things.
cable friction or bent hanger.

the top pulley doesn't always line up with the cassette at optimal shifting. Sometimes you have to adjust the rear derailleur with you ear.

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Had a similar issue recently - new housing, chain, etc. My hanger was just slightly bent (like 1-2 mm, barely noticeable) - straightened it and problem solved.

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
links are all good. Its more of an issue that the derail cog is slightly out of line with the cassette gear, however if I move it to fit the climbing gerars on the cassette, i lose the lower gears.

Also the hanger is not bent either.
Check that someone didn't sell you a 10 speed derailleur for a 9 speed drivetrain. Or vice versa.