Quantcast

XC/AM hardtail okay for 1st time?

nestorlinks

Chimp
Aug 7, 2007
If I missed a previous post similar to this, sorry...I couldn't find any.

So how ridiculous would it be to bring my XC/AM hardtail to Diablo? I wouldn't consider myself a newb, but this will be my first real Downhill/Freeride experience. Because of that I know that I will be sticking to some of the easier trails and not getting too crazy. I'd rather not spend the money on a rental if I'm not going to need it for the first time.

I've seen other forums where people said it was okay to ride hardtails, but it sounds like most of the hardtails people are using are DJ/FR hardtails.

Thanks,
Pete

chaloots

Chimp
Mar 16, 2004
dirty jerz via Bklyn
its to youre advantage that youre not a noob to quote you. youre going to need basic offroad handling skills. ive done diablo on my old xc bike back in the day (1999 spec fsr enduro) but youll enjoy the place more on a proper dh rig. it will prob cost you more to repair your bike after the fact than it will to rent one for the day.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
you should not have any big probloms. but i do notice alot of people on xc bikes skiding on alpine and skidding up the dominian jumps. this may not be to you but people if you are not going to do the wall rides do domboo. and if your not going to do the dominian jumps go around them!

Timekiller

Monkey
Oct 9, 2006
NJ
Def. doable on a hardtail.. I rocked my HT there twice this season waiting for my bullit... you just can't go as fast as a fully.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
u can do it. but if u look at the terrain. itl be a bit bumpy. i would say rent. because i am pretty sure that it will get trashed. just my 2 cents

G-RockMurray

Monkey
Jun 27, 2007
ive road it on my caddiliac am bike but it was a duel and 6in of travel...it was ok and you can get an idea......i say take a spin on your bike, then rent if ya like.....its just more fun on a dh bike

nestorlinks

Chimp
Aug 7, 2007
Great, thanks for the input. I just have to decide if it's worth bashing up my brand new bike.

See you guys up there soon.

Pete

tree hugger

Monkey
Jul 18, 2007
rent, rent, rent. I can't stress this enough. you "can" ride diablo on a hard tail, but you'll spend the whole day clunking around with zero speed taking a beating. FUN! Get a bike that's built to be there. Contrary to what some people think, beginners going slow and sticking to the "easy" trails need the suspension more than experts.

pinkshirtphotos

site moron
Jul 5, 2006
Vernon, NJ
ive road it on my caddiliac am bike but it was a duel and 6in of travel...it was ok and you can get an idea......i say take a spin on your bike, then rent if ya like.....its just more fun on a dh bike

i was on a hardtail xc bike and still faster :p its doable on an allmountain bike. just take it easy your first few runs. unlike giantrider said ride alpine even if you dont hit the walls, and ride dominion if you cant clear them it builds up skill.