Quantcast

XC bikes for the DH rider

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
So it's about time that I start looking for a good deal on a new XC bike and wondered what other DH addicted women are riding for XC. I ride a '02 Giant NRS now with an '04 Marzochi Marathon SL. I'm always afraid I'm going to crack the frame (it creaks A LOT) doing something stupid that it wasn't designed for, so that makes me think I need a more all mountain type bike....except I am a terrible climber so any help with climbing by the bike would be much appreciated.

Right now I cannot stand up and climb on my current bike. The geometry is just not right for it. I can however stand and climb on my old hardtail and would like to be able to on a future bike.

So what do other women use daily for their XC rides?

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Right now I have a Jekyll 1000 with a lefty and it's an awesome all-mountain bike. I am actually hoping to sell it and get something a little more aggressive (think Yeti 575-ish) for my local trails, but I am on the fence because it's a great light-weight FS race bike (I think it weighs in at 25.? lbs).

huckqueen

Chimp
Jun 8, 2006
CT
I'm riding a yeti 575 with a fox 36 talas. I.m really happy with the setup... it probably weighs about 29lbs. That fork makes all the difference, I had been riding with a 5" talas. It was light but I was really unhappy. It really is able to handle all that I have thrown at it. Check out Splat's ride report from vietnam.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167498

It's great for climbing.. though I did have to get use to the 36 (that didn't take to long). But the ability to dial it down is great.

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
I used to have a 575 for my XC bike, but traded it for an AS-X this summer. It just wasn't fun on the more techy rides and I was having a hell of a time keeping up with my husband and others on bigger trail bikes. The AS-X is heavy, but it actually climbs technical stuff better than the 575 did (more work, but better traction). I also find it easy to stand and climb on the AS-X. Partly, I think I'm just continuing to improve at climbing, but I like my bike too... and as it turns out, lighter wasn't better for me.

Honestly, I'd say the bike you need depends on both what you're going to ride and who you're riding with. If you're doing your "XC" rides with a bunch of XC racer types and smooth trails, you should get something more XC oriented. If you're doing XC rides with your DH friends (like I generally am) and they all have fairly burly trail bikes, you'll probably be happier with something you can play on too rather than a light climber.

huckqueen

Chimp
Jun 8, 2006
CT
... and as it turns out, lighter wasn't better for me.

Honestly, I'd say the bike you need depends on both what you're going to ride and who you're riding with. If you're doing your "XC" rides with a bunch of XC racer types and smooth trails, you should get something more XC oriented. If you're doing XC rides with your DH friends (like I generally am) and they all have fairly burly trail bikes, you'll probably be happier with something you can play on too rather than a light climber.
I totally agree with you! For a while there I was into trying to make my yeti as light as possible (crossmax wheels, totally xc tires/tube, light fork). It was just so "flighty". I wasn't doing any freeride playstuff, I was ready to ditch the bike. I've put my "regular" wheels (mavic 321) back on, 2.3 Kenda nevagal tires and now the fox 36. I'm now contemplating the dhx air shock. It's more beefier and more suited to the my style of riding! I have never been a stand up in your pedals climber... but I find the climbing so far has been very good. There aren't many long, high elevation climbs here in CT. But I brought the yeti to WA and it was great on those climbs. And the downhills were great.

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
Wow lots of Yeti's. Unfortunately there are no Yeti dealerships anywhere near me and I've actually never even seen an ASX or 575 on the trails around here.

Seems like most of you are choosing an all-mountain type bike and taking the weight hit. I ride mostly with XC type people but the trails are relatively flat. I just want something efficient for daily riding but that I can also play on and it will take the occaisional trail skinny, drop or jump without it sounding like it's going to break in half.

The Santa Cruz Blur and superlight are some that I'm thinking about. Seems like everyone here is jumping on the Ellsworth train but those frames are ssooooo expensive.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Wow lots of Yeti's. Unfortunately there are no Yeti dealerships anywhere near me and I've actually never even seen an ASX or 575 on the trails around here.

Seems like most of you are choosing an all-mountain type bike and taking the weight hit. I ride mostly with XC type people but the trails are relatively flat. I just want something efficient for daily riding but that I can also play on and it will take the occaisional trail skinny, drop or jump without it sounding like it's going to break in half.

The Santa Cruz Blur and superlight are some that I'm thinking about. Seems like everyone here is jumping on the Ellsworth train but those frames are ssooooo expensive.
The Santa Cruz bikes are nice! I have a few friends that ride Hecklers and love them. My husband was riding his Bullit for everything until he got his 575. I have a not-so-local Yeti dealer that's AWESOME if you need any help with a purchases I am sure he's be great to deal with.

I currently have an AS-X as my FR/DH bike and I am really enjoying it. It doesn't feel as stable on really steep techy stuff as the IH did, but it does have a much different feel on stunts & rock gardens...I can really move it around much better.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
I'm riding a yeti 575 with a fox 36 talas. I.m really happy with the setup... it probably weighs about 29lbs. That fork makes all the difference, I had been riding with a 5" talas. It was light but I was really unhappy. It really is able to handle all that I have thrown at it. Check out Splat's ride report from vietnam.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=167498

It's great for climbing.. though I did have to get use to the 36 (that didn't take to long). But the ability to dial it down is great.
Damn...I REALLY need to get to CT so I can try out your bike. I am the opposite though. I would need to build my 575 up light for racing but I do have a spare set of tough wheels that I could change it up with for more FR stuff if I needed to :biggrin:

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
I am definitely DH addicted, so my XC bike has been in the garage for most of the summer, but time to drag it out now that Whistler is closed! Its a Santa Cruz Hecker--its got 5.5" of travel. I like it, but I understand about the geometry issues--when I get on my XC bike, I feel like I'm going to be going over the bars! The Nomad seems to be the trendy way to go these days...I think it might be a little more slacked out, and could even be used for DH.

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
I've got an Intense 5.5 and love it but would probably upgrade to the 6.6 if I was looking for a new bike. I also ride a singlespeed.....when I feel like torturing myself in the foothills.

Since riding DH more often this summer, I found that I wanted my XC bike to ride more like my DH bike. I got used to the cush of it and the way the brakes felt. I found myself saying....I wish I had more travel on this bike. So, if I was looking for a new XC bike I would look for something with more travel that still climbed good.

nanhar

Monkey
Dec 7, 2004
Riverside, CA
My husband recently got an Intense 6.6. It is an awesome bike and with the 2007 Talas RC 2, it can do good size drops and it also climbs like a hard tail!

NJ Jess

Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
mtbnj.com
I rode my Specialized Stumpjumper FSR at Mt Creek/Diablo for the Mtbchick 2 day clinic 2 years back and it was handling all of it. I remember following the mtbchicks down the trail over the table tops. I wasn't sure what I was doing, but a 10 year old yelled out, "Nice Air Lady!" Hummm, I was bit by the mtb world just then.

I now ride the Titus Racer X and simply love it. I just won the Campmor H2H race series in the Sport Womens 35+ category. 6 other winners of the series also had the Titus (racer X or Moto) Jane Adams, the Expert Womens 19-29 winner, not only won this series, but Plattekill, 3rd at Super D at Mt Snow, and the King of the Mountain series. She rides for yorktown cycles in NY.

I will be riding Trumbull CT this Sunday with a few friends. If you can get there, I'll bring my pedal wrench. Oh, this bike climbs better than my specialized too! Smiles, Jess

SeaMtbGrrl

Chimp
Nov 5, 2006
Seattle, WA
This opens the million questions response:
How tall are you
What kind of trails do you ride
How much money do you have to spend
How much travel do you need - and want
Are there local bike manufacturers who would be a good option for you
How much time will you spend on maintenance
How many miles will you put on your xc vs dh (if it's for winter/off season riding only, would a hard tail suffice)
How important is the componentry
etc, etc, etc

I LOVE Santa Cruz bikes and would recommend the Blur, but with reservations.

I am short, but not small, and have broken my SC Juliana and Klein Adept Race frames riding the rough trails here in the PNW. The lightweight frames just can't take the continuous roots and rock drops (not to mention my occasional hail-mary bike skills...), so for me I have to look at an all-mtn option for my next bike. However, I've spent all my money on my Juliana and Karpiel Disco DH bikes, so it'll be a while before I buy again. :greedy:

The ladies I know who are absolutely in love with their xc bikes ride Ellsworth, Titus, Turner and other boutique frames - or the highest end $ of the large brand names. The cost of these bikes gets you lightweight strength with advanced set-up. But everyone I know also started on cheap(er) bikes learning what makes a difference for us.

Before I bought my Adept / Juli, I rode every fs bike I could find that friends (or anyone I met on rides) owned that was my size to see what I liked / didn't like / cared about.

Good luck on your search!

Cheers,
shae
:cheers: