Quantcast

XC newb-need some help

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
XC newb-need help
ok, so today i "decided" i wanted to start riding some XC, mostly to get in shape. i rode skyline drive in NJ and it was brutal. I didnt exactly come "prepared" either. jeans and a sweatshirt with one water bottle. my real problem isnt stamina(not that im great at that either) but i cant climb for $hit. it feels like i need to have the bars attatched to my axle to get moving at all.

below is my bike and i dont have the option to get a real cross country bike. any ideas to make XC any "easier" would be appreciated. i am a 4 year downhill rider and have never tried anything like XC. please help with any advice at all.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
i do not want to sell any downhill bikes because i am not totally sold on the idea of xc.(yet) I am doing it as a workout right now because i cant stand the trainor. I wasn't sure if i got a granny gear or a smaller front ring if this would be a little better. Is it the weight that is screwing me or is it the DH geo. At some point i may get into it but for now i am not. I want to just be able to get a decent workout that is not in my basement. Is nutrition important(carbs ect)Any ideas are appreciated. thanks

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
It is the weight and the geometry that is screwing you.

Save up some money and buy a used hardtail (check craigslist and the classifieds on bike forums such as this and mtbr.com etc. etc) and ride hard and smile. It won't break the bank account either.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
No one, most certainly someone who doesn't own an XC bike, needs 3 DH bikes. Just buy an xc bike, and ride it a lot. It will make you a better rider, and riding xc trails on xc bikes is just as fun, if not more fun than DH trails on DH bikes...
I've ridden skyline. Nothing you do to any of the bikes you have is going to make them anything close to fun for riding there.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
It is the weight and the geometry that is screwing you.

Save up some money and buy a used hardtail (check craigslist and the classifieds on bike forums such as this and mtbr.com etc. etc) and ride hard and smile. It won't break the bank account either.
Ive got a k-mart hardtail with 21 gears. what do u think of riding this? its not nice but i can certainly use it

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Definitely the weight and geometry. I too would recommend getting a very inexpensive used bike -- probably a hardtail (craigslist or RM classifieds). You'd be surprised at the deals you can find so start saving your change up now! You might be able to get away with your current hardtail, but make sure it's in good shape...I've seen a couple of guys on Huffy's rippin up our techy XC trails.

You're overall riding (endurance, speed, agility, etc.) will improve which will make DHing even more fun too!

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
Agreed. Sell your Demo and your Spec (for less than you're asking right now), and get a cross country hardtail.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
...i am not totally sold on the idea of xc.(yet)
Is there really anything to sell? XC, DH, its all riding your bike. I am with everyone else, hunt the classifieds for a cheap hardtail.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
hunt the classifieds for a cheap hardtail.
By the time you pick up lighter wheels/tires, a new cassette for the new wheels, a longer stem, etc might as well get another bike that will work better and will be good to go, rather than dickin around with swapping parts for whichever mode you want to ride.

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
ya ive been looking around for a cheap hardtail. i am trying to sell 2 of my bikes but i wont sell them too cheap because then im going to loose money. What most of u dont know is that ive been out for 2 years with surgeries and injuries so half of the bikes havent been touched more than once.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
By the time you pick up lighter wheels/tires, a new cassette for the new wheels, a longer stem, etc might as well get another bike that will work better and will be good to go, rather than dickin around with swapping parts for whichever mode you want to ride.
huh? are you referring to a frame? I was talking about a bike

demo 9

Turbo Monkey
Jan 31, 2007
north jersey
how is a hardrock sport? i have one sitting in my garage and ive been riding it around because it has front rings. its a size small though. what makes a xc bike sweet?

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
Jets up hills + down the other side, turns good in the twisty stuff, fits natural - not cramped/stretched out for either climbing/railing/descending, puts the power down, but doesn't jackhammer and vibrate over every bump.

Same as other bikes pretty much, lets you ride it and doesn't get in the way or make you think about it.

Ironjunk

Monkey
Aug 29, 2007
I have a haro R3 that i took to diablo a few times with 2.5s and it survived all the trails i took it down. The salvation bridges were ok if your smooth and the phantom drop was pretty rough but it came out ok.

I like it, its an aggresive trail bike, if you were to put a tag on it, it would be more than an XC bike but less than AM. I really like it because I like to race with it but also like to find hucks in the woods.

Lockout on the front is nice, an air shock on the rear is nice to to pressure it up or soften the rear. Clipless is good too.

Rigid is fun too it will make you feel like an animal climbing hills. It will also feel like gnar downhill on xc trails and make you appreciate suspension.

Nothing beats being in pedalling shape for DH season, you can go down lower dominion then pedal back up over and over again....with a short rest at the top.

Get some miles in any way you can