Quantcast

XC racer's going to pressed BB

opjones

Monkey
Aug 17, 2006
Detroit
"Killeen also borrows Specialized's fully integrated FACT carbon crankset from its road lineup, along with a 110mm compact two-chainring spider. The two-piece carbon fiber setup rolls on large-diameter cartridge bearings that are pressed directly into the proprietary team-only oversized bottom bracket shell. While lighter than a conventional configuration, Welliet contends that it also makes the drivetrain noticeably more rigid."

Full story...
http://www.cyclingnews.com/tech/2007/probikes/?id=liam_killeen_epic07

Evil4bc

Turbo Monkey
Jun 17, 2005
Nor-Cal
I have been hearing rumors about similer shimano stndard for the past 2-3 years also , sorta like giant spanish b/b to fit shimano cranks

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
of course none of these "high profile" companies will admit to borrowing bmx standards, instead they'll change some dimensions and play it off as their own brand new technology...

it's gotta happen somehow though... only thing really holding it back is the change frame manufacturers will have to go through.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
of course none of these "high profile" companies will admit to borrowing bmx standards, instead they'll change some dimensions and play it off as their own brand new technology...

it's gotta happen somehow though... only thing really holding it back is the change frame manufacturers will have to go through.
Isn't the pressed-in bb taken from old cottered crankset designs? And Cannondale has been using the hollowgram standard for more than 15 years...

BikeSATORI

Monkey
Apr 13, 2007
one world...
Isn't the pressed-in bb taken from old cottered crankset designs? And Cannondale has been using the hollowgram standard for more than 15 years...
yeah, sorry, I don't know my history so well in that respect so I shouldn't have phrased it like that. Maybe they weren't the pioneers to the press-fit bearing technology by invention, but it sure has blown up in that arena and made total sense with it's evolution through bmx! Therefore recently in today's bike industry if you mention press-fit BB bearings, it's more than likely going to be a bmx bike you're talking about... Hopefully that is slowly changing though as the typically sloth-like large mtb industry moves over to the larger bb shells upon realizing it's full potential and advantages.

Bad Ronald

Chimp
Jun 30, 2005
Danbury, CT
Cannondale has been on board with over sized BB shells for some time now. I don't think the issue of giving credit has ever come up, after all they are all just bicycles aren't they? On another note, check out this pic...It's Sausers training bike from Hauffalize...Those cranks don't look like specialized to me...

-R

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
yeah, sorry, I don't know my history so well in that respect so I shouldn't have phrased it like that. Maybe they weren't the pioneers to the press-fit bearing technology by invention, but it sure has blown up in that arena and made total sense with it's evolution through bmx! Therefore recently in today's bike industry if you mention press-fit BB bearings, it's more than likely going to be a bmx bike you're talking about... Hopefully that is slowly changing though as the typically sloth-like large mtb industry moves over to the larger bb shells upon realizing it's full potential and advantages.
Well, I agree with giving credit to the BMX industry, although you probably right that no one will acknowledge bmx.

I had just gotten a new frame and I wish I had also gone to the BB30.