Quantcast

XC Recommendations at the Watershed (not Gambrill)

hardtailer88

Chimp
Jul 11, 2004
Bethesda MD
I was wondering if anyone who knew the cross country trails well, could tell me about some possible routes to take when starting from the parkin lot on hamburg road where the blue trail goes thru. Thanks.

DßR

They saw my bloomers
Feb 17, 2004
the DC
I really hate to oversimplify it, but either go left, or go right. The Blue goes from Gambrill, across Hamburg, all the way out to Cunningham Falls St. Park. It's 20 some miles in length I guess?

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
hardtailer88 said:
awww come on!!!
Well, it's a bit hard to put in words since damn near every trail is marked blue and every fireroad you cross looks the same. Best bet is to try to hook up with someone and start learning the trails (check the MORE calendar). Or grab a topo map and do some exploring. It takes a bit of time, but it's worth it. Pack a bunch of water and some energy bars and have at it.

llkoolkeg

Ranger LL
Sep 5, 2001
in da shed, mon, in da shed
riderx said:
Well, it's a bit hard to put in words since damn near every trail is marked blue and every fireroad you cross looks the same. Best bet is to try to hook up with someone and start learning the trails (check the MORE calendar). Or grab a topo map and do some exploring. It takes a bit of time, but it's worth it. Pack a bunch of water and some energy bars and have at it.
:stupid: The most useful map I own is the Frederick County ADC map. The Catoctin(blue) Trail is shown as a dashed red line and you can see exactly where it crosses each vehicle-accessible road. Once you know where the Catoctin crosses a road, you have a ready-made point from which to launch explorative forays into the 'shed. After you've done that for a few weeks, you will have a better idea of where the start and end points can be set up for rides that include the terrain you most appreciate. Topos are useful once you have a decent understanding of the road layout and can recognize them by sight w/o them being named. Most topos are pretty shabby so far as being up-to-date on road names, etc.