Quantcast

XC rims, ~420g or so. Thoughts?

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
I'm looking for some new XC rims, I've been using these Velocity Synergy rims for almost two years now and they are beat to sh*t. The sidewalls appear to be made of tin, so anyway I need something different.

Me: 190lbs, Sport/Expert XC racer, disc brakes of course.....

So far, the only things I can really come up with are the Bontrager Mustang (can you even get those anymore?) and the Mavic 317, which seems a little too light at 395g. I really want something around 425 grams or so.

I don't really care for Sun rims, or Velocitys either.

Any ideas?

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
yeah, 217s would be perfect. Although I'm not sure they'd be so hot with disc brakes, but I s'pose it's moot since I have no idea where to find those anymore.....

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have pair of built 217s from 1997 oem on my Y-22. I have no idea what the gram weight is but they are lighter than my built 517s with non disk XT hubs. I would think you could find lighter disk specific rims - nothing wrong with retro but my 217s are rainbow anodized... :eek:

Mar 27, 2003
I've had very good luck with Mustangs. Almost through the sidewalls of a rear one right now. Lasted a whole summer of guiding, riding 2 times a day, and it was already over a year old. I have a front mustang on the rear of my SS. Almost 3 years old, still plenty of life left in the sidewalls. I must not brake as much on the SS. Only true it once or twice a year. Get some who knows what they are doing to build your wheel. Seems like a quality build is more important as long as you are using a halfway decent rim.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
nothing wrong with the 317's at your heft.

Another very viable option would also be x3.1's the double wall/fore drilling process leaves those things extremely strong.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Golly - thanks for the advice. I felt that since I was riding stuff the rims were not designed for it might just be wiser to hook up some beefier rims. I am usually very happy with my wheel builds - I have an 8 year old down the block who builds them during his recess.

Originally posted by jonassterling
Get some who knows what they are doing to build your wheel. Seems like a quality build is more important as long as you are using a halfway decent rim.

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
hell hath no fury like an ANGRY MIDGET!!!!! :p

Well. I looked at the weightweenies.starbike.com page, and was underwhelmed at the options before me; even though it appears that they have almost every rim listed there. Poo. I'll go with 317s I guess, I was just a little worried that I might be too much for 'em, maybe not. It'll definitely make me ride smoother!!!:)

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by sub6
hell hath no fury like an ANGRY MIDGET!!!!! :p
Whahahahha... every guy runs into something that he has very bad luck with... those rims were constant trouble for me while I had them - now I feel the world must pay!!!

On the bright side, because of those rims, I now have a spare set of built wheels for all my bikes.

LostBoyScout

Monkey
Jul 28, 2002
Vancouver BC
X317s are actually pretty strong! I think they're safe for XC for most any rider! But being disc specific, they can focus the weight where it's needed.

And they look sweet :)

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
XC racer?
you might want to consider mavic x 3.1 tubeless rims. i have crossrocs(same rims) and the work great. I'm only a buck thirty tho

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
mmm, I don't know about those rims. They're tanks, plus the tires are really heavy too.

I'd rather do a 410g rim with a 400g tire and Stan's tubeless, and save a few hundred grams.......