Quantcast

XP backup and restore

I have three personal computers running Windows XP Professional.

One's stand-alone, the other two are connected by an Ethernet LAN.

I perform disk-to-disk backups using Windows Backup, but I can't prepare an Automated System Recovery floppy for the newest desktop because it doesn't have a floppy drive.

I'm looking for either instructions for creating a bootable ASR CD or for recommendations for decent backup software at a reasonable cost.

Discuss, please.

J

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
It sounds like you're taking care of your system data backups. Windows XP Pro's "Repair" function that comes with the operating system CD is actually excellent and works most of the time.

When it doesn't work, it's usually because the system is so far beyond repair that a format and reinstall is your best option, and then you've got your backups, which can be restored once the OS is up and running again.

Is there other functionality you're looking for from the software?

I'm thinking C: failure. Backup Exec lets you make a bootable recovery disk that has what's necessary to restore files and system state without screwing around with an O/S install. It wasn't clear to me that the repair console offered that level of functionality.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
johnbryanpeters said:
I'm thinking C: failure. Backup Exec lets you make a bootable recovery disk that has what's necessary to restore files and system state without screwing around with an O/S install. It wasn't clear to me that the repair console offered that level of functionality.
Oh, gotcha.

The repair console is different from the "Repair" install function. The repair console is just a command prompt with some utilities. The repair install function is actually a secondary installer. It doesn't ask you about settings, doesn't wipe out your registry, it just re-copies and overwrites all the system files and repairs any corruptions or problems with them.