Quantcast

Xpost from tech forum...air shock stanchion scratches.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Just bought a Fox RP23. It's supposedly new, but the stanchion shows a pair of the tiniest scratches...is this anything to worry about? The shock is otherwise near perfect, but I want to make sure it won't leak or get worse if I don't address it ASAP.

these are what I'm seeing. I'm not worried about the one higher up, it's hard to feel and my bike will be running a .25" spacer. It's the other one that makes me go hmmm. I can feel it with a fingernail but not really with a fleshy bit of my finger.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Kinda hard to see in the pictures but I bet it's fine. If you're worried, carefully buff any burrs off with the finest emory paper you can get your hands on and fill it in with nail polish. Works a treat on stuff way bigger than that even.

Bikerpunk241

Monkey
Sep 28, 2001
The scratches don't look too bad, but fortunately they're pretty deep into the travel so you shouldn't run them over the seals too much. If you do find that you're having issues, you can send it to us (sorry for the spam) and we can replace the shock body for you. Issues you would see are the shock not holding air. Us is www.Dirtlabs.com in Boulder and we have pretty fast turn around times, especially since you're in Breck.... or possibly HI.

Last edited: