Quantcast

XT hub opinions?

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
I found a good deal on X517 rims laced to XT hubs. Will be for mainly XC. I've never used XT hubs before, any of you used them?

mobius

Turbo Monkey
Jan 25, 2003
Around DC
I just got some XT hubs with 321s and haven't ridden anything yet but they seem real smooth and nice in the driveway test. A bunch of people say you can't beat the cost to performance.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by mobius
I just got some XT hubs with 321s and haven't ridden anything yet but they seem real smooth and nice in the driveway test. A bunch of people say you can't beat the cost to performance.
I ride nothing but XTs and have never been let down. I think they are a great hub for little money. I like the 517s as well. Not a chi chi wheelset but a good working set that will last. :)

axlvid23

Monkey
Jun 1, 2003
Littleton
xt hubs laced to 517s are pretty nice...they work really well...light...spin really nicely...i dont really notice that much of a difference between those wheel and my current wheels which are bontrager race lites(tubless)

Bobnug

Chimp
Feb 12, 2003
victoria B.C. Canada
they are ok, the freehub/races are starting to go on mine and it's about 6 months old, and i seem to be bending a solid thru axel every week, but thats not the hubs fault(stupid 10mm). you gota check the cones fairly often to make sure they are not tightening themselves or getting play in them. If your looking for a bombproof hub that you can beat on you should look for something else, and open bearings are a thing of the past.

MikeOK

Monkey
Nov 29, 2002
twelve
Thanks for the replies. Thess will be for a commuter/ backup bike to the Bullit so they won't see a whole lot of grief. Mainly XC. By the way, jensonusa has a 517/XT wheelset on special for $175. Can't beat it for a backup.

Here's the link.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Originally posted by MikeOK
Thanks for the replies. Thess will be for a commuter/ backup bike to the Bullit so they won't see a whole lot of grief. Mainly XC. By the way, jensonusa has a 517/XT wheelset on special for $175. Can't beat it for a backup.

Here's the link.
I was going to ask if this good deal was from Jenson. I bought a set of the xt/517s last year or the year before. Once I got the nipples to stay tightened they became a pretty nice set of wheels. I'm not sure what the deal was, but I had to retrue my wheels after every ride for the first dozen or so rides on them. A little blue Loc-tite fixed 'em right up.

spincrazy

I love to climb
Jul 19, 2001
Brooklyn
They're ok. I wouldn't buy them again, but they did the job. The diff in LX and XT is pretty minor, and like was said before - they're not light; especially the disc version. I loved WTB hubs back in the NW because they had great seals and it's wet there. They'll be fine for your commuter. I do like the 517s.

Babar

Monkey
Sep 14, 2001
Colorado
I have Xt hubs laced to X517, dt competition spokes and al nipples. Its good but its also heavy, mine weighs somewhere around ~1700g.