Quantcast

XT Rear Der - Serviceable??

ghostrider

7034 miles, still no custom title
Jan 6, 2003
Shadows of Mt Boney, CA.
Is the torsion sping (?) that keeps the cage (the thingy that the pulleys are attached to) under tension repairable on an XT 9sp derailleur? In other words, if that isn't under spring tension any more, can it be fixed? I don't see how it comes apart...

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
without one sitting in front of me I don't know for sure, but some of them are. What you do is unscrew the bolts that go thru the pulleys, and remove the pulleys and the 'back plate' from the derailluer. Then you should be able to see the bolt holding the 'outer plate' onto the pivot. If you remove that bolt, you can pull off the outer plate and replace the spring, if necessary. I've found that if the spring pops out of its hole in the outer plate, you'll lose all P-tension (which is what has happened to you). Some derailluers have a P-tension adjustment, where there are a couple of holes in the outer plate that you can stick the end of the spring in to increase P-tension - the same idea as on some older frames/forks with V-brakes or Canti-brakes, where there were three holes on the brake boss for spring tension adjustment.

Anyway, if you can pull it apart, you should be able to fix that problem.

Rustmouse

Chimp
Aug 9, 2002
Olympia, WA
the rev's right, I'd go looking for a sacrificial spring....

plenty of broken derailleurs in the mountain bike community, someone should be able to spare it....

UCSBrian

Chimp
Mar 11, 2002
seattle
its serviceable, the lower jockey arm can be taken off by removing a small, maybe 3mm, allen. It just slides off then. The bitch, is the b tension plate. It comes off easy enough, but man putting that thing back in sucks.

b