Quantcast

XT rear derailleur problems….

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
I have just about had it with my XT rear derailleur! It gets caught in between gears and then is near impossible to get into the gear you want within any reasonable amount of time. During this time, things are snapping, popping, cracking, etc, like a popcorn maker. As luck would have it, all of this fun usually kicks in when I’m down shifting while climbing up a hill.

I have taken this POS to my trusted bike mechanic who proceeded to swap out just about everything (cassette, chain, etc) in an effort to see if something else was the matter. Nope. In a “last straw” effort, he changed the cable and the problem seemed to go away……for 4 rides. I now have my popcorn maker back.

I have checked everything I can think of and everything looks fine. I have had two different mechanics look at this and at this point they are just about stumped (both of these guys have been bike mechanics for around 15 years). I have not taken it to them (yet) after this started happening yesterday. Is it possible that the cable just stretched?

Sorry to ramble on, but I have just had it with this thing. I was thinking about replacing the XT with a SRAM (I have read good things about their products) but I’m not sure if it work if everything else is Shimano (will it?)

My other option is to get a bottle of whiskey and “adjust” this damn thing with a ball-peen hammer. :mumble:

Help? Suggestions?

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
If you really swapped out a bunch of parts, then my first guess (uneven drivetrain wear) would not work. Did you adjust the cable tension at all after the four ride thing? Cables do stretch quite a bit...

jebfour

Turbo Monkey
Jun 19, 2003
CLT, NC
Everything was swapped around, and my guess is that you are probably right; the cable has stretched. That being said, I don't know a ton about working on my bike (just haven't been into this very long). Should I turn the adjuster counter clockwise a few clicks?

JRogers said:
If you really swapped out a bunch of parts, then my first guess (uneven drivetrain wear) would not work. Did you adjust the cable tension at all after the four ride thing? Cables do stretch quite a bit...

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
jeb4 said:
Everything was swapped around, and my guess is that you are probably right; the cable has stretched. That being said, I don't know a ton about working on my bike (just haven't been into this very long). Should I turn the adjuster counter clockwise a few clicks?
Either unclamp the cable and pull it tight or turn the adjuster counterclockwise to increase tension. Get the bike in a stand or just flip it and figure out the right tension so it cycles through all the gear perfectly.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Check the 'B' adjust screw. (The one that pushes against the hanger) It sounds like the top pulley is too close to the cogs. Take 1 link out of your chain if you can't adjust it in anymore.

Mike