Quantcast

XT/XTR Question

Tame Ape

BUY HOPE!!!!!!!
Mar 4, 2003
NYC
Okay, I already asked Spincrazy and he said no, but I want to ask as many knowledable peeps as possible...

Shimano BBs and cranks...

Can I buy 2003 XT Cranks and use a XTR BB? What if it was from an early year? If so, what year and/or model designation?

I am trying to save weight and XT cranks are reasonably priced but the BB is sorta heavy. On the other hand, the XTR cranks cost a buttload but the BB is 213 grams and $45.

The Shimano website says no, but that is expected... Has anyone heard of someone trying to mate the two just cause?

Thanks!

:confused:

sub6

Monkey
Oct 17, 2001
williamsburg, va
Originally posted by Tame Ape
I am trying to save weight and XT cranks are reasonably priced but the BB is sorta heavy. On the other hand, the XTR cranks cost a buttload but the BB is 213 grams and $45.

The Shimano website says no
Well, that's how they f*ck ya.

Can't do it.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Pre 2003 XTR=same bb interface as road cranks. XT and LX had splines that went in (parallel to spindle) about twice as far as XTR/road cranks.

Metroid

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
Cary, NC
Originally posted by Repack
Oh yeah, so if you are looking for a cheap alternative to an XTR bb, try a 105 bb.
That's not going to work either. It's the same spline but the chainline will be off.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
Originally posted by Metroid
That's not going to work either. It's the same spline but the chainline will be off.
Why? With the same shell width and spindle length, there's absolutly no reason his chainline should be different.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
Originally posted by Brian HCM#1
Nope, wont work.
Sorry. I just read the post over again. I thought he wanted XTR cranks and no xtr bb. Didn't realize he was going in the other direction.