Quantcast

XXL (62+) bikes

the law

Monkey
Jun 25, 2002
where its at
Yeah... the shop guy showed me the dealer site. If your shop can find a lower model in carbon, I'll buy it.

What all do you guys carry? I'm running out of brands to check

Trek - maybe
Giant - no
GT - no
Spec - yes $$
Kona - maybe
Cannondale - no
Orbea - no
Ritchey - maybe
Ridley - maybe
Felt - no
Look - no
Kuota - no
Blue - no
Colnago - no
Cervelo - no
Calfee - yes $$$$$$$
Scott - no
Fuji - no
KHS - no
Look at a Focus, too. Jens is riding one for the track.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Look at a Focus, too. Jens is riding one for the track.
Jens is still 2" shorter than us though...
I'm going custom though. I'm sick of buying and selling to find a bike I like. I'm just going to have one made and call it a day.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
Yeah you might be miserable, but it is pretty spot on as a generalization from my experience doing fittings for shops and building custom frames for individuals.

Where'd you cut and paste the above post from?
Because it's just plain wrong if we're talking about designing a high-performance road bike.

It also completely misses the point of what I'm saying.
A bike that is designed wrong is going to suck, duh.

That was from Grant Petersen -- obviously he is the opposite end of the spectrum from you. The point was that there is more than one purpose to build a bike for.

I agree that carbon isn't the end all material and ride a custom steel cross bike. I don't ever plan on riding a crit or road race so I'm way more about comfort on long rides.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I'm going custom though. I'm sick of buying and selling to find a bike I like. I'm just going to have one made and call it a day.
Probably a good idea. Check out Mosaic Bikes in Boulder. I'd never heard of them until recently, but their bikes look beautiful.

There's also Waltworks in Boulder, but he's got something like a six month waiting list and is moving to Utah.

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
That's a great idea.
There are lots of really great values out there right now.
I just raised my pricing by $900 a frameset and it hasn't hurt my bussiness at all, in fact it's actually helped it.

Capitalism is weird.

If Joe at PM doesn't feel comfortable trying to dial in your position let me know- I'll push you to someone in the front range who'll be able to help you get **** dialed in.

Or submit this form on my site and I'll wack out a design for Joe if we can do the process here in this thread to show people how exactly a made-to-measure bike is designed. Talk about a fun marketing exercise!

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I just raised my pricing by $900 a frameset and it hasn't hurt my bussiness at all, in fact it's actually helped it.
If you're priced too low people sometimes have the perception that it's an inferior product.

Or submit this form on my site and I'll wack out a design for Joe if we can do the process here in this thread to show people how exactly a made-to-measure bike is designed. Talk about a fun marketing exercise!
This sounds fun. I've always been curious about the process.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Got fitted yesterday. I'll post up the pic of the frame template once he sends it to me. The frame is way different than what I expected. We ended up with a similar TT length to what I have, but lifting everything up quite a bit. It took a lot of stress off my upper back and arms, and gave me a more upright position. You'll all probably laugh a lot when you see the frame drawing. The steerer tube is shockingly tall, to the extent that he's likely going to need to have Enve make a custom fork for added length. Hopefully they can make it, because the only other manufacturer that makes a steerer that long is Wound Up. They were too noodly the last time I rode one, and I'm hoping that I can avoid it.

We're adding a lot of carbon to the build: post, bar, stem (possibly), and a fork with carbon steerer tube. I still need to decide on the rest of the build, as I have most of a 9-sp group. I am getting a new set of longer cranks and a new chain, so I am debating upgrading to 10-sp. It will be pricey though, and that's something I am really trying to avoid.

Thanks for the referral Mickey. Even though Joe does not recall ever meeting you, he appreciates the referral.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
I have been fit at a couple of shops and all are saying that I should be on a 62cm top tube. I'm not jumping right away to.get a frame, I want to get one that fits right. I am getting carbon because my back can't handle the aluminum frame.
I agree with you on aluminum frames; I rode a steel Serotta for years but felt the need for a lighter frame and went aluminum - I didn't have back pain but long rides really beat me up. I went back to steel because, at that time, steel was less expensive then carbon. I am pretty short and rode a 54 for over 10 years until I got fitted and discovered a 51 was a better fit. If you can swing it go custom...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Joe just sent me a picture of the frame back from powder.

He needs to paint on the labels and send it to be clear coated, then it's ready to be built.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Woot!
What color decals are you guys going with?
Royal Blue - Go Bears!

Nice!

I thought you had shelved the road bike since you got the Yeti.
I ran the numbers and selling the 575, plus what I had set aside for the roadie with a better build gets me to the same place. I should walk away after the sale of the 575 with about $500 left from my initial calculations and starting funds.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado

Apparently Wound Up sent the wrong fork, which is part of what took so long. Now just to get time to go up to Longmont to get the frame. Probably next Wed when I am watching Haley.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The wookie bike is finally built. I need to get a slightly longer stem and I'll drop the front a bit, but it's rideable. The fork is custom by Wound-Up, so I'm not cutting the steerer until I am fully fitted.

Build:
Frame: Primus Mootry custom frame
Fork: Wound-Up carbon with custom long steerer
HS: Cane Creek something up there quality
Bar: Ritchey Al, until I can find a 48cm carbon for under $400.
Stem: something generic
Saddle: SDG with Ti rails
Cranks: Shimano Ultegra
Pedals: Look Keo
Brakes: Shimano Durace
Front Der: Shimano 105
Rear Der: Shimano Durace 9-speed
Chain: SRAM 999
Shifters: Shimano 105
Wheels: Fulcrum Evolution 5

I haven't weighed it, as it doesn't really matter to me.