Quantcast

(* Y *) Frozen arse GMT (* Y *)

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
Will you be my accountant? You sound pretty legit when it comes to tax strategy.
Sure,
Here is a rough breakdown of what you should fill in for expenses:

10% "creative consumable materials"
29% Travel costs
15% Clothing
8% Food
7% Shack Testing Expenses

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
in b&n and a bible thumper asks questions about my guilty of everything sweatshirt...

not today satan....not today.

skibunny24

Enthusiastic Receiver of Reputation
Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
We have "those trees" in our neighborhood... the biggest of them looms over ours and the neighbors' backyards, and is at least twice as tall as our two story homes. It's a giant maple that we cannot afford to remove or we would have years ago (something like $1200 to thin out 1/8 of the tree). It has a beautiful trunk... just a sturdy straight, single trunk up about 20' and then branches to the sky and everywhere all around. There has to be someone out there who wants that wood for furniture enough to pay to take out the tree, right? My neighbors and I would sure appreciate it!

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
The neighborhood my mother lived in was completely devoid of trees. It would seem everyone hated dealing with leaves so much they cut down every damn tree.

Personally I like trees and don't find leaves to be that big of a deal. I had a billionty white oaks at my old house which not only drop prodigious amounts of leaves and acorns this time of year, but they would slowly shed about 20% of their leaves slowly over the winter so you were never done dealing with them. I'd generally just get the mower out and mulch them into the yard.

roflbox

roflborx
Jan 23, 2017
Raleigh, NC
We have "those trees" in our neighborhood... the biggest of them looms over ours and the neighbors' backyards, and is at least twice as tall as our two story homes. It's a giant maple that we cannot afford to remove or we would have years ago (something like $1200 to thin out 1/8 of the tree). It has a beautiful trunk... just a sturdy straight, single trunk up about 20' and then branches to the sky and everywhere all around. There has to be someone out there who wants that wood for furniture enough to pay to take out the tree, right? My neighbors and I would sure appreciate it!
read / use this page to see if you can get away with putting it on CL for free, person who gets the lumber has to pay for a professional removal service (note: insured).

https://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/F-35-02

tree-trunk diameters are measured at breast height (termed diameter at breast height or DBH), defined as the diameter of the tree 4½ feet above ground on the uphill side of the tree

take the DBH number and then start estimating 16 foot vertical lengths, then go to the table on that site and determine how many boardfeet you can get out of the tree. (assuming the interior is not rotted)

https://ohioline.osu.edu/factsheet/F-35-02

Here is roughly the equation you need to figure out for if you can put it up for free

Is the amount of board feet worthwhile for the person who is buying it to do the following:
pay for the removal, mill the lumber, then dry it in a kiln, then find a buyer for the bulk lot of wood or sell the wood off themselves.

Post back with some rough BF calculations :D

Or just leave if there if it is still nicely alive :D

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
The neighborhood my mother lived in was completely devoid of trees. It would seem everyone hated dealing with leaves so much they cut down every damn tree.

Personally I like trees and don't find leaves to be that big of a deal. I had a billionty white oaks at my old house which not only drop prodigious amounts of leaves and acorns this time of year, but they would slowly shed about 20% of their leaves slowly over the winter so you were never done dealing with them. I'd generally just get the mower out and mulch them into the yard.
We are extremely fortunate to back up to the woods leading down to the river. We can walk out the back fence with dog unleashed and walk all the way down to the river with one deserted neighborhood road crossing.

Our maple has branches that will put holes through the roof, and the woodpeckers have started after it... I'm hoping fo the call from the furniture store on that one!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
do you heat your home with wood? another thing to consider. I just had 14 trees removed to the tune of $4800, but for the amount of wood i got out of it (estimating about 4 cords) offsets the cost of it (i pay about $250/cord, so i got about a thousand dollars worth of firewood out of it)

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
do you heat your home with wood? another thing to consider. I just had 14 trees removed to the tune of $4800, but for the amount of wood i got out of it (estimating about 4 cords) offsets the cost of it (i pay about $250/cord, so i got about a thousand dollars worth of firewood out of it)
hehehe Jon's got wood

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
parents paid that for one to be removed....it was big though.....they spent 4 days cutting up and removing it.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
the first house we lived in when we moved to virginia was at the top of a hill and could only be seen from the cul de sac in the winter necause we had such fantastic tree cover during the spring/summer/beginning of fall...

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Yes, we do heat by wood :brows: we actually are nearly out of room for storing wood after the sibling in laws and then the parent in laws took out several trees at their respective homes, which rules! If we could afford to take the tree down, we wood!! Maybe if I get a job that pays really well we can catch up and do it. The timing should line right up with when we burn up what is currently stored in the back!

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
I lived in California for a summer, near Huntington Beach. When I moved home in the fall, I found my appreciation for trees. Of all the places I've been, BC/Washington/Northern Idaho have been my favorites :)

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
I lived in California for a summer, near Huntington Beach. When I moved home in the fall, I found my appreciation for trees. Of all the places I've been, BC/Washington/Northern Idaho have been my favorites :)
Move to southern Nevada. Palms & Joshua trees aint no substitute. -__-

Sounds like my situation. I have a corner lot and no trees on my property with the exception of a silver spruce.Still, I get leaf cover that is between 4 inches and 2 feet deep because winds.
Lawnmower...

I'w with those who hold that removing the tree would be an obscenity...

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
This is the week of hell. Haven't left work yet and was here until after 6pm last night. I got here 1.5 hours before I normally do, too.

Ride time is taking a seriously beating. FTS.

And two days straight of training, because I have so much free time. HELL YEAHZ. But free lunch and breakfast, so I guess I shouldn't complain.

And now, its beer time.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
When I was in college there was an ice storm in Syracuse that downed millions of trees. One of the biggest in our yard went down. I called around to find out how much it would cost to have removed (no wood stove, no need for wood). The first place that I called were native Americans, they took one look and offered to remove it all for free.
I thought that was weird, so I got a second opinion...turns out it was heavily burled Black Walnut. A firearms stock manufacturer found out we had it and offered $10k.
I ended up buying a Mitsubishi Montero that burned to the ground a few weeks later, but that is a different story involving whiskey and a two foot snowfall...

Last edited:

DirtyMike

Turbo Fluffer
Aug 8, 2005
My own world inside my head
For those that are against cutting down trees ...... Maybe I am wrong in what I am about to say..... But you either cut it, or watch it burn. Maybe you guys are just talking about in your yard, but I just watched a substantial amount of Montana burn down because of a lack of logging and dry conditions. Now Napa valley in California is doing the same thing....... There is nothing wrong with controlling tree numbers, specially when fire control is part of it....... I mean we could just let nature have it all back and all.....

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Getting serious up at my old fire station

Incident Information
  • Bear Fire Incident Information

Last Updated: 2017-10-17 15:30:00
    Date Started: 2017-10-16 22:30:00
    Administrative Unit: CAL FIRE San Mateo-Santa Cruz Unit
    County: Santa Cruz County
    Location: Bear Canyon Road and Deer Creek Road in Boulder Creek, CA
    Acres Burned: 200 acres - 5% contained
    Structures Destroyed: 4
    Structures Threatened: 150
    Evacuations: Deer Crk Rd, Rons Rd, Dons Rd, Lost Valley Rd, Favre Ridge and Oak Ridge.
    Santa Cruz County: Evacuation orders have been issued for the Communities of Las Cumbres and Deer Creek.

Evacuation Centers:

• Lakeside Elementary: 19621 Black Rd, Los Gatos
  • Zayante Fire Protection District Station: 7700 E Zayante Rd, Felton
    Injuries: 5
    Cooperating Agencies: Unified Command with Santa Cruz County Sheriff, Santa Cruz County OES, Santa Cruz County FD, Santa Cruz City FD, California Highway Patrol, Aptos/La Selva FPD, Boulder Creek FPD, Branciforte FPD, Central FPD, Scotts Valley FPD, Zayante FPD, San Mateo County OES, San Mateo County FD, Santa Clara County FD, Moffett Field FD, CAL FIRE Santa Clara, CAL FIRE San Benito-Monterey, CAL FIRE Amador-El Dorado, CAL FIRE San Luis Obispo, CAL FIRE Lassen-Modoc, and CAL FIRE Tuolumne-Calaveras.
    Total Fire Personned: 600
    Engines: 52
    Fire Crews: 18
    Helicopters: 9
    Dozers: 5
    Water Tenders: 11
    Lat/Long: -122.07012/37.18356
    Conditions: The fire continues to burn in steep inaccessible terrain covered by drought stressed fuels and is moving north into heavy timber. Dozers and crews are putting containment lines around the fire. Resources continue to arrive from across the state to support fire control and structure defense operations. Temperatures are expected to reach 76-84 degrees, with relative humidity near 18- 28% throughout the fire area, with winds of 5-10 MPH out of the north.
    Bear Fire Information Line (831) 335-6717

Fire contro
For those that are against cutting down trees ...... Maybe I am wrong in what I am about to say..... But you either cut it, or watch it burn. Maybe you guys are just talking about in your yard, but I just watched a substantial amount of Montana burn down because of a lack of logging and dry conditions. Now Napa valley in California is doing the same thing....... There is nothing wrong with controlling tree numbers, specially when fire control is part of it....... I mean we could just let nature have it all back and all.....
Fire control is part of what has set this situation up.

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Lawnmower...

I'w with those who hold that removing the tree would be an obscenity...
Obscene vs. safety hazard to our home and our neighbors'....

It's the wind that poses a problem in the current location. Coupled with the woodpeckers indicating that the tree is dying... it's not a sapsucker. I'm guessing we have a couple years before we really have a big problem.

I don't take out trees lightly either, they just took out 10 acres of forest in the middle of the neighborhood that we fought tooth and nail against. That is a lot different than taking out a giant dying tree with limbs overhanging the house. I'll see if I can get a pic. I've got three other large maples on the fence line out of "falling on the house range", plus the forest. This one though, has got to go at some point.

skibunny24

Jun 16, 2010
Renton, WA
Actually, this is a good example. This is a branch that fell down in the woods just behind our fence off of one of the small maples after we de-limbed it. It just missed the (other) neighbor's shed.... whew, we can't lose our sheds around here!!!

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Worth noting - I only took out all 14 trees in one job because they were all infested with EAB and about a quarter of them were already dead. It was now or later. Much cheaper as one job instead of 2 (and also more firewood).

This was all prompted by the top ~1/3 of one of the decidedly less dead trees coming down in a thunderstorm.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
I cut out of work early to ride my bike amongst the trees. it was glorious. after missing two weekends of riding, and probably a third weekend coming up, I wasn't sleeping right any more. I needed to ride. it was super nice out, and I explored a few new trails. the weather was perfect, the conditions were surprisingly dry. I think I'll rinse and repeat tomorrow (not the cutting out of work part - tomorrow I'll ride with a buddy in the dark)