Quantcast

Yep, it is that time again. CCCX #6 this Sunday!

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Will you be there?

I will.

:beerjam: as usual. And Brian, I am not opening your Guinness with my bike anymore. Banned. Not allowed. No.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
I think I've got a bead on a 6" frame... I might make #7...

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
A slacked out 5" bike is probably ideal. Make sure the headtube is nice and slack for speed, and that the rear shock is plush for small bumps, but make sure the pro-pedal is on.

Joshy, I'm thinking about bringing both just because. I'll probably ride the SX though. I really like how it feels and I'm super happy with it. Just want to get it out and put it to the test. Although the Sawpit loop I dropped on Saturday was baller on that bike. Soaked it up like it should. :)

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
SWEET!

Dude, you can easily race this one on a XC bike... a 4-6 inch travel bike is pretty ideal. I think you should make it out for #6!
On my NRS? I"m crazy, not stupid.

Btw, it's official. 2008 Yeti 575 Carbon with DHX 5.0. It's almost new, and looks it.

It's on like donkey kong. Want to hook a brother up with EP on a Talas 36?:brows:

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I am getting 1 day in there before surgery in July.

Joker, heh asking the wrong guy. No suspension hook ups for me. =[

GET IT BUILT!

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
July 5 for race #7? Dude, we're going to be wrecking it in Tahoe. You should come...

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
July 5 for race #7? Dude, we're going to be wrecking it in Tahoe. You should come...
I wish I could. Got to finish this season. I am really shooting for top 5 overall in pro. Only 2 points off right now. Must do every race!

Northstar once sometime after that race for sure, before I head under the knife for shoulder surgery.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
Here is the course profile!

-CCCX DH #6 Course Profile- The race route for this Sunday's event will be very special as a new portion of trail will be used for the first time in Toro Park history. The new section of trail has been created by Keith DeFiebre. The trail is still in its infancy so virgin trail riding and brand new single track will be used by CCCX racers for DH #6. The course starts out on the regular portions of fast fire road and fun riding single track used in previous CCCX DH events. Then when the trail gets steep toward the lower slopes of Toro Park, the new section continues in a straight forward manner. The trail then proceeds down the canyon and flows into some very tight sections of riding. The riders will face high speed open sections that lead into some very low speed parts of the trail featuring off camber and twisting turns of a new cut riding route. The new cut sections will test all aspects of DH racing. The trail then finishes into a wide open area where high speeds will be at a premium.
Sounds like it will be another fun course to me!

Last edited:

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
If it goes the way I think it goes, we'll either finish way before the hillclimb, or have to sprint down the road for a while before going up the hillclimb.... I almost want to sneak over there today to take a peek

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Josh, I'll totally come down and race if I can borrow a bike *nudge nudge wink wink*...
Otherwise, it's next season.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
I have a Large Tomac Snyper you are more than welcome to ride =] Weren't expecting that were you... now you have to race haha

The front shock leaks a little (needs new seats) but still works!

Let me know if you are interested, I can bring it along for you... Oh, also, bring pedals. I only have 1 set I switch around.

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Better question, do we have to register to practice? I don't know if I can rock two days with practice on Saturday... I can probably pull Sunday fun day though.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
You don't have to register to practice on Saturday. Sunday you register, practice, then racing (starting) at 12.

If you can't do 2 days, just plan on rolling out on Sunday. I usually only ride the course on Sunday. I usually ride Santa Cruz the day before, like I am tomorrow! Want to join? It's not as far as Salinas... =] Plus it can give you some saddle time on the bike.

Also, you were looking for a 36 right? Found one...

http://ridesfo.net/forums/viewtopic.php?t=2941&highlight=

Last edited:

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Probably can't pull Saturday and Sunday. I'll talk to Wife and my buddy that is coming down with me. Sunday is on though.

Total Heckler

Beer and Bike Enthusiast
Apr 28, 2005
Santa Cruz, CA
No worries if you can't ride tomorrow.

I got the bike all cleaned up for you. Just bring some pedals to toss on there. I have a pedal wrench, so were good in that department. =]

Score for Sunday!

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Course is LOOSE LOOSE LOOSE! The new mid-section is steep, fast, off-camber single track covered in 2-3" deep dusty powder.

Managed to get one run in before my buddy's HS exploded.

I was on a Yeti 4x, and there were some parts 6" would have been nice, but this is NOT a big travel course.

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
Managed to get one run in before my buddy's HS exploded.
What does HS stand for? Hairy Sphincter? Did you guys get some gnarly Mexican food before or something?

Good times at the race. I put my arm right through a big ol poison oak bush in practice and now it's looking like I'm going to be paying for it if the amount of itchyness is any indication...

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
The headset on Sven's bike exploded on Saturday; shattered the lower sealed bearing.

I don't think I got poison oak, amazingly given the amount of time I spent in the bushes, but I've got a wicked case of whiplash.

How bad was the course for the chainless race? It was bordering on unrideable when we came down...

bdamschen

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2005
Spreckels, CA
The headset on Sven's bike exploded on Saturday; shattered the lower sealed bearing.

I don't think I got poison oak, amazingly given the amount of time I spent in the bushes, but I've got a wicked case of whiplash.

How bad was the course for the chainless race? It was bordering on unrideable when we came down...
Damn! I've never seen a headset blow up before, gnarly.

By the end of the day the lower section was tore up from the floor up. I'm not sure how I managed to stay out of the creek giving all the small black holes on the outside of each corner try to suck me in, but I think it had to do with a lot of foot dragging.

At the end of this month I'll be moving within 5 mins drive of Toro Park though, so maybe I can sneak out there and give that trail some love later.

stoney

Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Mike, Thanks for letting Sven borrow your helmet. That would have made for a crappy day...

Josh, Thanks for getting the Tomac cleaned up for me. It was just a tad too short in the stem for me, being an ogre and all. I'm looking forward to getting a ride in on it in SC.

All - Good meeting all of you guys in person finally. Face to name is awesome.

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
That was awesome!

Tried to get some cell-phone pictures of you guys, but only nabbed one of Kelly and one of my buddy Nathan.

And congrats to everyone who got a little something out of the weekend:

Brian: 5th - Expert Men 19-34
Josh: 3rd - No Chain / Not Last Place - Pro Men ( ;) )
Ben: 2nd - No Chain / 1st Sport Men 19-34
Bryan: 2nd - Beginner Men 19-34
Nathan: 2nd - Clydes

Kelly:

Nathan:

Prettym1k3

Turbo Monkey
Aug 21, 2006
In your pants
Mike, Thanks for letting Sven borrow your helmet. That would have made for a crappy day...

Josh, Thanks for getting the Tomac cleaned up for me. It was just a tad too short in the stem for me, being an ogre and all. I'm looking forward to getting a ride in on it in SC.

All - Good meeting all of you guys in person finally. Face to name is awesome.
No problem, man. Glad it fit him. I'm the guy that, if you need toilet paper out on the trail, I've probably got some. Haha... Better safe and prepared than sorry.

Good meeting you finally! It's always good to put faces to names.